Custom Rear Sets

Awesome. Actually, while I thought the same thing, the leverage hasn't been an issue at all. I think because the lower arm on the shifter is so much longer than the upper arm, the reverse being the case on the linkage actually works out and ends up resolving a big issue that I was worried about - that I would need a lot of travel in the shifter to shift.

Like Kamn said. You have a leverage issue there. As well as running your piece off the shift shaft to the outside of the exhaust, you are having to move it further to engage the mechanism.

J-Rod10 said:
Hmm. You posted as I was typing. Maybe that's not your issue then.

Nope - I'm having zero difficulty with shifting, either with it taking too much force or with it needing too much travel. It's just that this bloody linkage keeps popping out of the housing. Maybe the leverage would do that, but I'm thinking it's just that jb weld isn't strong enough to keep in it in there with it being a fulcrum.

^^^^^ Bingo! We have a winner

JB weld is not going to help you keep it in or on the bearing, you need to work out another system.

Kamn said:
^^^^^ Bingo! We have a winner

JB weld is not going to help you keep it in or on the bearing, you need to work out another system.

Hahahahah, oh don't I know it. I have been looking everywhere for an answer to how people do this, and I will totally admit that I'm absolutely clueless as to the best methods for this kind of stuff, and often end up using the wrong tool for the job. Kamn, would you say the best system to use would be the bushing and washers, knowing my troubles? J-Rod, what are your thoughts / what did you use to let the linkage arm rotate?

A special bolt, that the assembly rotates around.

Reamed the hole to whatever diameter it is, and turned the bolt a wee bit smaller. Head keeps it from moving around.

a7cd00794044c281b161766cfe58cbba.jpg

Something like this?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Here, take a look at what Tarozzi did for the CX500 Eurosport, you can see in the schematic picture the lever arm that rides on a bushing and a retainer nut keeping it in place
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/03-0057

J-Rod10 said:
A special bolt, that the assembly rotates around.

Reamed the hole to whatever diameter it is, and turned the bolt a wee bit smaller. Head keeps it from moving around.

Hahaha! What keeps it from sliding up the bolt? Washer on the other side? How did you turn it smaller? I'm definitely open to this endeavor.

Kamn said:
Here, take a look at what Tarozzi did for the CX500 Eurosport, you can see in the schematic picture the lever arm that rides on a bushing and a retainer nut keeping it in place

Hrmm... Honestly looks like a big part of my issue might be that the housing is too thin. Something like the Tarozzi ones works well because it can't wobble. Any idea if there's a way to prevent that, aside from fabbing something together as Tarozzi did? Would a bushing solve that at all?

Kamn said:

Also, what kind of bushing is that they're using?

HiroProtagonist said:
Hahaha! What keeps it from sliding up the bolt? Washer on the other side? How did you turn it smaller? I'm definitely open to this endeavor.
The shank on the bolt is a few thousandths longer than the housing on the assembly. It keeps it from moving around, and allows it to rotate freely. Bolt bottoms out, leaving space for the mechanism to rotate with no issues.

J-Rod10 said:
The shank on the bolt is a few thousandths longer than the housing on the assembly. It keeps it from moving around, and allows it to rotate freely. Bolt bottoms out, leaving space for the mechanism to rotate with no issues.

Ahhhhhhh. Oh man this is such a huge help. No issue with the housing wobbling? It looks like you're using pretty thin metal for it, which is what I'll be using (1/4" 6061). That still stays upright on the bolt?

No wobbling. I'm using steel on mine. Granted, they are machined to + 0.0000 - .001 tolerance.

Legit. Yeah, mine will probably not be the best, and I have had way too much time with a jigsaw and 6061, but it has been a good learning experience. The bike looks like a piece of junk right now anyway, so I'm fine with the ugly shifter and stuff, lol. My CB350 has a set of (I believe) your rear-sets, though, and they're great.

I'm thinkin I'll try the bushing and washers, as that's probably going to be a little more forgiving of inaccuracy. It's nice to finally have an idea where to go with this, thank you for all of your help guys!

Back
Top Bottom