75' CB400F front end swap

x_O

So I recently purchased this front end off a 93' CBR600F2:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/4B8AAOSw41xXOd5O/$_3.JPG

A quick background, I'm new to motorcycles but I feel I'm learning pretty quickly. My aim with this is to build it up over the summer and put it onto my 1975 CB400F.

My questions:

Shock Rebuild: Since they're used and I don't know their history I plan to do a rebuild on the shocks. Seals and all that. Maybe even some Race Tech emulators if I'm feeling fancy.. Can anyone recommend any good websites, or youtube videos for how to do this on these shocks? I can't imagine it's too hard but I'd love a guide to follow for peace of mind.

General: At my purchases current state, what are all the things I'll be required to get to make this install happen? I assume to I'll need to get the obvious new head tube bearings, brakes, rotors, cables, speedo system (Don't know much about these) lever, rim, and tire. Am I missing anything?

Wheel: I don't really care for the look of the mag wheels and want to keep to rims... I've seen people talk about using Harley rims, so I'm curious if there's a certain kind that works best for the dual disc brakes? Also, What would need to be done to the hub for it to be ready for the dual disc?

I think that should take care of my questions, any insight into the project a head is greatly appreciated.

Dereck

bikeboy said:
You might find this interesting:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=28160.0

Did the same thing a couple of years ago. May give you some answers and ideas.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm glad that it seems pretty easy, however there wasn't much info as far as getting everything to work. "and fitted a pair of cbr600 F2 forks to the 400 stem. The originals were shot anyway. 2 new bearings for the wheel, a couple of spacers, bingo bango - new front end." Is all it says ha.

Do I just need to get the 93 cbr600f2 bearings from Allballs, and it's that easy?

Oh, sorry about that. It's been awhile. I should have re-read that thread :-(

I had a 400 stem pressed in to the 600 lower triple. The diameters are the same, so it's an easy swap. I measured the axle to top clamp measurement of the 400 forks, and made sure the 600s were set to the same length. They are longer, so stick up a bit above the clip-ons. You might see I have a 400 hub, into which I've fitted a couple of disk rotors with adapters I had made. The bearings to fit the 600 axle fit straight in to the 400 hub. Inner diameter is larger from memory. I had to weld some steering stops on the bottom of the steering stem to engage with the stops on the triple clamp.

Hope that helps a bit more? Happy to answer any questions.

cheers
ian

x_O said:
Ian,

I was hoping I could turn that forum post into a DM? Seems like a more fitting place for me to ask questions. A little more on the back story is that I just got the bike in April so I'm PRETTY new into the motorcycle scene. A lot of whats being said I will need to do some research on as far as what the "stem" is exactly (is it the piece that connects the upper and lower triple tree?) I get the part about the CBR600 fork tubes being longer, and them sticking out. As far as "offsets" I really have no idea what those are or even what they mean as of yet. This front end build is going to take me awhile so that'll give me time to figure what all the logistics mean while I'm saving to it up, as it's pretty bare bones. For the adapters you had made, are those something that you could make and sell to me? I'd really rather not buy a whole new rim, hub etc if I don't have to.

I gotta head to work but I can't wait to hear back from you. I really wanna impress on you my gratitude for you taking time to help me out. I really am lucky to have found someone that has done this exact conversion thats willing to help a newb out. So THANK YOU!!!

- Dereck

Ask away. We were all newbs once, so don't hesitate. That's what this forum is for ;-). There's lots of knowledgable people ready to help out.

The Stem is indeed the piece you refer to. Just check the set you have because my memory ain't what it used to be. I *think* I swapped it for a 400 unit, but I've done a few of these and they tend to merge together :eek: Try it out and see if there's enough thread sticking out to install the bearing retainer, nuts/lock-nuts on top. You might get lucky, but swapping them over is no big deal.

Brakes will be your biggest headache I think. The easiest way is to use a complete front end with wheels calipers and rotors, but if you're after a spoked wheel, things get difficult and require some engineering. The original front caliper set-up is difficult to adapt. I don't have access to the machine shop anymore, so I'm unable to help out with the adapters I'm afraid.

cheers
ian

Back
Top Bottom