Product review: Loctite Form-a-Thread

Redbird

Dolor est Magister Optimus
DTT BOTM WINNER
IMG_6162_zpscd23b61a.jpg

I picked this stuff up to repair a stripped carb body, where the float bowl bolt threads in.
The major selling points were, the price (approx. $25), and the great reviews I'd read and viewed on it.
I saw it used for valve cover bolts and engine side cover bolts. And one magazine review even used it to completely create new threads by applying it to a 12mm nut and using a 10mm bolt. I figured in such a low torque setting as mine, it'd perform beautifully.

IMG_6161_zps1a73d798.jpg

Well, it did not.

It's a simple process, and even if I weren't media familiar with the product, the instructions are very clear. I followed the procedure to the letter... three separate times... and the compound never would hold past finger tight. In fact, the leftover from the last attempt is still in the shop garbage can, and two weeks later it still hasn't set-up/hardened.

My official review of Loctite Form-a-Thread: It sucks Green Donkey Balls.

My suggestion is to use a helical type insert. This is what I'd always done previously. It's what I eventually did in this case. And it's what I'll do in the future.

IMG_6196_zps4cac55f2.jpg

FullSizeRender_zps91279499.jpg

Just in case anyone is interested, that insert kit (M4x.7) is available through Grainger for about $65 and it comes with 20 inserts.

Back
Top Bottom