GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - updated R/R

I'd Love to see a video of it running after you get it done, I bet it sounds Bitchin' with those Reverse cone megga's. Are you going to run a stock box or Pod's?

Glad you asked Rusty! Right now I'm in search of some updated carbs, so the stock airbox is out of the question. Besides......I hate that F'n airbox...... For the sake of riding season, I might just run a K&N filter, but will make an airbox myself out of ABS plastic.

Big Rich said:
...will make an airbox myself out of ABS plastic.

Didn't you already do this? or was that on another bike.
They are starting to all run together in my mind

Good memory Hoosier! I made one for the GR650. The one that I make for this, however will be slightly different.......

Now that I'm awake, I'll fill in some details. The one I made for the GR utilized the most internal volume I could get, while still running a stock paper filter (stock from a late model bike, but that's a moot point). The one that I make for the GS450.....will basically be a "pod extension". It will have less internal volume than a stock airbox, but will have a K&N lunchbox filter mounted on it. Make sense?

Makes sense to me Rich, will be interested to see how it goes!

You do know they built the frame around the airbox on these 450's don't you? :eek:

I really do believe that Pete...... either they welded it together with the airbox in place, or blow molded the plastic while inside the frame. It's Ridonkerous.

peteGS said:
Makes sense to me Rich, will be interested to see how it goes!

You do know they built the frame around the airbox on these 450's don't you? :eek:

Must be a Suzuki thing, the GS750 seemed that way as well. ::)

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Back to Running!

Got the final bits of wiring done tonight! I bolted up the old GR coils for the time being, and wired them up (which will need shortened for GS500 coils). Bolted up the carbs and throttle cable, ran all the ground wires to the battery box mount, put some gas in there.......and got a BANG!

I'll snap some pics tomorrow - I had to make an emergency exit due to the paint fumes coming off the motor and exhaust.......

Haha nice Rich! Lookin' forward to pic's :D

How do those pipes sound?

Thanks gents!

Pete, they sound pretty good! Much more "pop" than the original mufflers. I barely revved it above idle, so I didn't get to hear it at full song yet. Soon enough though.......

Thats bitchin Rich! Pics and a video request of those pipes please and TY.
Gary

Sorry Gary! Completely forgot to transfer the video to YouTube. Besides.....you'll hear it at Mid Ohio!

So my big project for the night was the plastic frame cover. It has a pretty good crack that is about to rip off the only "press fit" portion:
photobucket-41271-1359784151321_zps40b9a45c.jpg

I cut a small piece of aluminum and drilled out some 1/8" holes, then riveted it together:
photobucket-41655-1359784153026_zpsbb9f0aa1.jpg

I know the rivets are white, but the press fit peg is secure again. I'll paint them red once I actually do the paint on this bike.
photobucket-39933-1359784147372_zps0f537d44.jpg

Everything installed:
photobucket-41358-1359784149644_zpsc8fd4c8f.jpg

I know it's tough to see with all the visual "clutter", but I installed the original grips and Napoleon bar end mirrors as well. Along with a front fender I had, the carbs, speedo & tach cables, etc.

Speaking of speedo cables......I bought a Motion Pro cable for a 1980 GS450 S but didn't realize it had a different connection than the speedo drive on my GR front end. Anybody want it? It was almost $14 from Dennis Kirk:

https://www.denniskirk.com/motion-pro/speedometer-cable-040006.p199263.prd/199263.sku

I'll sell it for a couple bucks plus shipping.

Big Rich said:
Sorry Gary! Completely forgot to transfer the video to YouTube. Besides.....you'll hear it at Mid Ohio!

So my big project for the night was the plastic frame cover. It has a pretty good crack that is about to rip off the only "press fit" portion:
photobucket-41271-1359784151321_zps40b9a45c.jpg

I cut a small piece of aluminum and drilled out some 1/8" holes, then riveted it together:
photobucket-41655-1359784153026_zpsbb9f0aa1.jpg

I know the rivets are white, but the press fit peg is secure again. I'll paint them red once I actually do the paint on this bike.
photobucket-39933-1359784147372_zps0f537d44.jpg

Everything installed:
photobucket-41358-1359784149644_zpsc8fd4c8f.jpg

I know it's tough to see with all the visual "clutter", but I installed the original grips and Napoleon bar end mirrors as well. Along with a front fender I had, the carbs, speedo & tach cables, etc.

My god, I wish I had an E or a Sport insteadof an L. So much better looking stock.

"My god, I wish I had an E or a Sport insteadof an L. So much better looking stock."

Rusty...Watch you mouth.....My L model is very sensitive...LOL

Looking good Rich, I wasn't sure if the 450 would be the one to make the Mid-Ohio trip. i'll be anxious to here her in her glory by then ;D

Gary

Back
Top Bottom