Non-motored 2-wheel

jwdmotorsports

Been Around the Block
Thought I'd share one of my non-motored 2-wheel projects.
This is a 1986 Cannondale SR1000. Found it in a guys shed. He picked it up with the intent to fix it but never did anything with it. Took it apart, cleaned everything up. Updated a few things such as the handlebars.
I've had a few offers to sell it but haven't brought myself to part with it yet.
Attached are before and after pictures. Up side to bicycle projects is that they are literally a matter of hours start to finish.

Attachments

• 1986 Cannondale SR1000 Before 2.JPG
    1986 Cannondale SR1000 Before 2.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 1986 Cannondale SR1000 After 2.JPG
    1986 Cannondale SR1000 After 2.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 340
Very nice looking rig there! I worked in a bike shop for 6 or 7 years that sold Cannondale. They are great bicycles!

That looks like it's in mint condition! Really nice commuter you got there. The single speed/ fixie crowd will be clamouring for that.

Keep it! :)

It's a great riding bike.
It would make a cool looking fixed gear bike but I have too many hills around me to limit myself to one gear.
Nashbar has a carbon fork that will work with the threaded head set. Haven't made up my mind whether to go that route or keep the steel fork.

I also own a 2005 Specialized S-Works, a Diamondback 29er mountain bike, and a penny farthing.

Nice retro...! I had a caad4 in bare aluminum which I loved, but it was too small for me. Only road bike I've ever owned.

What'd you do with the headset and stem?? Looks like you went threadless...but what did you do with the steerer tube to accomplish that? Or do you have a threadless stem clamped on a threaded steerer tube now that I look again?

jwdmotorsports said:
Nashbar has a carbon fork that will work with the threaded head set. Haven't made up my mind whether to go that route or keep the steel fork.
I also own a 2005 Specialized S-Works, a Diamondback 29er mountain bike, and a penny farthing.

I have a "thing" for the old style steel frame and forks... I just bought a Norco Indie Drop Cyclocross bike because its a simple steel frame/fork. I also have a Kona Unit (single speed) with a steel frame and fork. The new carbon frames are super light and look cool, but I kept going back to the basics.

It sounds like we have the same "2 wheeled disease"... between a fleet of bicycles and 2 motorcycles I'm running out of room.

To be honest I think the steel fork is a smoother ride than the carbon fork on my other bike.
I've considered off and on buying a good steel frame/fork to build up with modern components. The Cannondale is actually an aluminum frame.
I love being out in the open air. Motor or not.
Bicycles don't take up that much room though. I have mine hanging from the ceiling in the garage.

That's the direction I'm leaning. The bike only weighs 22 pounds as it sits now. I don't think I gain enough by switching forks and I kind of like the colors matching.

Back
Top Bottom