1982 Honda CB900f Supersport cafe/brat build

Just bit the bullet and ordered a front end with straight forks off of another cb900f. It's high time I got cranking on this thing again and got her on the road!

This may seem like a stupid question, but whats the point of the CR carbs on a pretty much stock engine?

Honestly, it's almost entirely for looks. You can't run pods on the stock carbs and get the bike to run right. Even great carbs for bikes are so cheap compared to parts for my cars that, well, hey, why not.

Front brakes are done. New exhaust clamps are in, new (to me) front fender is on the way, as well as a new chain, new to me oil pan, new oil pan gasket, and a new oil filter. Hopefully she'll be back on the road in the next week or two!

Finally got around to putting on the new to me oil pan. The assembly for the oil pickup had to come off to get all of the ancient paper gasket off though.

That taillight is the latest source of my wiring headaches. Picked it up from Dime City Cycles last year, just got around to finishing up all of the wiring on the bike this weekend. The way that light is designed, the wire for the secondary light that turns on when you hit the brakes is making contact with the housing for the bulb, which touches the metal mounting bracket, which then grounds out to the frame. So if you get that light, you have to somehow completely isolate it from the rest of the metal on the bike. Otherwise when you hit the brakes, you lose your tail lights completely, and possibly blow a fuse from the short it just created. Seems that it's just cheap chinese junk.

This bike is going to drive me crazy. Trying to get her to turn over. When holding the clutch and hitting the starter button, the starter solenoid provides a very loud click, as it should, but it doesn't sound like the starter is trying to turn over. Ran a large screwdriver across the terminals of the solenoid to bypass it, and I get a little bit of movement from the starter, but not much. Sounds like it's turning just enough to engage, and then it's out of juice. I'm going to leave the battery on the charger for a while, hopefully a better charged battery will help.

have you tried to manually turn the engine over with the plugs out?

So I pulled the spark plugs and tried the starter, it turned over slowly. I think that the draw from the starter was enough to shock the battery into accepting a better charge though. Within a couple of hours the charge was up above 12 volts, and it will now turn over with the plugs in quickly and easily.

Back
Top Bottom