My CB360 barn find

i have never been very good at body work, but i have been spending a lot of time trying to get this tank cleaned up. it isnt finished but i am started to feel like i am getting the hang of bondo. im about 1/4 done, with the body work. i still want to clean up the knee dents a bit and the other side of the tank needs one more thin coat then sand and then a glaze coat. those pesky emblem brackets were a pain in the butt, but i finaly cant see any trace of my repairs so i am happy with that. here is one more side shot of the bike with the tank still not finished. also i made some headlight brackets using the method from the 50mod thread. i might want to shorten them a bit. but i guess i will wait and see.
55f202db.jpg

did my first few layers of fiberglass on the seat im really happy with how it came out.im gonna do a few more layers to stiffin it up.
IMG_20111016_174621.jpg

IMG_20111016_174613.jpg

IMG_20111016_174603.jpg

Thanks man. serriously i cant wait to see some paint on the tank and seat. but i really cant decide on what i want to do with the colors. i keep going back and forth. i want to be original and do something other people havnt already done. but im not sure i am creative enough to do that on my own. i still have a lot to do before it needs to be painted. but i was kinda thinking of going in this sort of direction
moto_guzzi_racer.jpg

really like the look of this build well done so far!
your seat is really cool the way it ties up to the back of the tank, gonna have to try something like that with mine.
whats your plan for the engine? complete rebuild of clean it up and put her back in?
keep up the good work!
Mark.

Just checked this thing out. Looks really nice. For someone who said they are not really good with body work, you sure worked the shit out of that seat. Nice job!

Guys thanks so much for the kind words! I dont have any motorcycle buddys here where I am living and my wife gets pretty sick of my constant talking about and working on my bike, so its awesome to be part of dtt. Its going to be a while until the bike is done but I do what I can when I can. the seat looks pretty good in the picture but it still needs some smoothing out, its a little lumpy on the hump. But I am happy with the overall look I came up with. As far as the motor goes, it kicked over when I brought it home so im going to wait to see if it fires when I get my new carbs. If it fires cool if not I will try my hand at rebuilding it. I am planning on painting it and cleaning it up first though. Long term I see my self rebuilding this bike at least twice. Once I finish it the way I am going im going to ride it and enjoy it, then at some point I really want to do a benjies cafe set up. Those are just so sweet looking. Any way, thanks guys, more photos will be up soon

Nice 360, I am glad there is a lot of 360's on here, lots of knowledge and all the 360's are different in a lot of ways. Good job

Here is what I was thinking for paint, its a pretty modern paint job for a pretty vintage bike but I think I am liking the flow of this with the red frame
bike.jpg

got a new master cylinder and i took my caliper apart and got it all cleaned up and re painted, i touched up the letters with a sharpie
IMG_20111104_115356.jpg

IMG_20111104_120802.jpg

your paint idea looks cool. the fiberglass turned out great. You guys must have butts of solid rock...i dont know how you ride those things w those little seats!!! my brother builds cafes and he has seats like that, I must be a really sensitive guy.
the rear fender inside there is a super idea and actually looks really neat and tidy also. It will help keep things a whole lot cleaner and protected. and the clip ons AWESOME. Im playing w the idea to put the 76 front end back on my bike, so I can do clip ons. the 69 forks Im running now are tapered so clip ons not an option. Im so new at all this bike stuff I didnt even know they made clip ons when I built my bike last spring...I jumped in with both feet and no research...at all.

thanks man, the more i look at my bike the more i feel like the red frame isnt going to work out for what i really want. that paint idea is cool but its not really the wayi wanted to go. so i am thinking i am going to start over on it. but it is getting cold and my garage is crap, plus i have a baby comming any day now. so its gonna be put on hold for a little. hopefully some christmas money will get me some new carbs. but we will see.

So I made some progress on the little cb these last few weeks, I cleaned and coated the inside of my gas tank with the kbs cycle tank sealer kit. It took a long time but I am pretty happy with the way it turned out. and I got a new set of carbs, pod filters some shorter throttle cables, clutch cable, clutch lever, a seal for my brake caliper, headlight brackets and grips, merry christmas to me! I also started painting my engine and thats turning out to look pretty good. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. What I am trying to figure out now is if I want to put some clip on dents in my tank. I didnt want to at first but it is driving me crazy that I cant mount my bars where I want to with out them hitting my tank before the stearing locks out.

I havnt finished painting yet but here is motor,
DSCN0185.jpg

DSCN0189-1.jpg

and the inside of the gas tank
DSCN0191.jpg

DSCN0192.jpg

I should get the rest of my parts in the mail this week, its getting cold again and I am not sure when I am going to be able to paint again. so more updates to come

Back
Top Bottom