'87 Honda NSR250 'ELF Special'

Re: NSR250 revival

Moa said:
If what various internet sources tell me is correct, swapping the MC16 carbs and cylinders with MC18 parts is enough to yield ~55hp (from 45hp), certainly a lot in a 125kg bike! ;D

MU4fG.jpg

Moa said:
Called econohonda this morning, asking about the crank, really nice and helpful place. They have several used cranks available for $200 + extra for new seals etc. They're not guaranteed, but given their scarcity, that seems like a good deal to me :D

Dale, you might want to keep them in mind if you find yourself needing another difficult to get nsr part in future, they deliver worldwide.

Well that's really great to know!
Also on the PGM issue!
Looking forward to seeing what you do here.
Do you have the original body kit?

Dale said:
Looking forward to seeing what you do here.
Do you have the original body kit?

Yes, got the original bodywork, I haven't really looked at it since I pulled it off. I think there's a few cracks which should be repairable. I'd like to get the fairings looking mint as they obviously are what you mostly see. I quite like the 80's styling, but the original paint/decal scheme I'm not such a fan of. I think a unique paint job will really do the design justice.

Stay posted, plenty more to come, I'll post another pic update soon.

Got my flywheel puller in the mail today, and so went straight into pulling the bottom end apart. The flywheel was on so damn tight I thought I was going to break something. I eventually got it to pop off though. This is what it looked like inside the crank case:
DSCN1151.jpg

The right side crank bearing had seized up and there was quite a bit of rust around it. There's a small hole that leads from near the transfer ports to the machined surface where the bearing sits. I think it's there to help supply lubricating fuel/oil mix to the bearing. It appears that water has come through the intake ports, flowed through this hole and rusted the bearing and right side of the crank. The top spark plug was off when I got the bike so water could have easily got inside.
DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1161.jpg

The cases were very dirty, so I gave them a good degreasing and attacked them with the wire brush and dremel. They came up ok. I'd like to have had them bead blasted, but I'm trying to finish this build without spending too much. Who's going to see the engine anyway.
DSCN1162.jpg

DSCN1164.jpg

DSCN1169.jpg

DSCN1170.jpg

DSCN1166.jpg

Does anyone know how to remove the primary drive gear from the end of the crank shaft? I can just take it to a bike shop if it's too difficult to do at home with basic tools.

Those casings are looking nice! :)

Ill see if I can get any info regarding your primary drive gear question.

And typical of the right hand side to go..

What are the inside circumference's looking like on the conrods?

Found a mysterious package on my doorstep this morning. Picked it up read the label "sender: econohonda...", woo hoo my crankshaft has arrived already ;D. Opened it up, hmm it looks a little different, the primary drive gear is smaller. It came with a label attached: part# 13000-KV3-000. Damn! they sent me the wrong crankshaft :mad:. I asked for the 13000-KV3-010 version.

Tried it out in my cases to see if it would fit. It doesn't. As you can see by the photos below, it's a bit shorter than my old one, and the seals are different. Also, the primary drive gear is smaller and has two fewer teeth.
DSCN1173.jpg

DSCN1175.jpg

Gave econohonda a call, apparently the 000 and 010 cranks are exactly the same. He suspected that my bottom end is from an MC18 or later. Even thought the engine number begins with MC16, the numbers after indicate a later model engine. I'll have to do a bit of research into this issue.

Ive been doing a bit of research in the nsr-250 forums. I now believe my engine may be from an MC18 model. I'm almost certain the cylinders and heads are of the mc18 variety. I'm very pleased about this, the mc 18 barrels are suppose to have the best stock porting, meaning more power! ;D. I would assume the bottom end is also mc18, but I'm going to get the opinion of an NSR know it all before I start ordering parts. Some sources lead me to believe this could be a mc21 bottom end. Econohonda are happy to refund the crank, but unfortunately they only have mc16 cranks, no 18's or 21's.

Dale, you wouldn't happen to know how to identify which engine I have would you?

Hi Moa,

Well you've established that you don't have a MC16.

- The MC16 and MC18 both had the hexagonal heads. I see you've got the hexagonal head, based on your pics.
- Now the MC18 hexagonal Barrel bolts right onto a MC21 bottom end.
- So its not completely decisive whether you have a MC18 or not, but chances are high.
- MC21 and MC28 motors are virtually identical.
- Heres a pic of my 28 crank case. Can you see any obvious differences? Bad pic, sorry.
- I have a MC18 motor, but its not with me at the moment...

IMG_4590_cutdown_s.jpg

If you could take a couple of pics of the sides of the cases where the gear selector shaft goes into the gearbox it will be easier to identify...

Dale said:
If you could take a couple of pics of the sides of the cases where the gear selector shaft goes into the gearbox it will be easier to identify...

Here it is:
DSCN1178.jpg

DSCN1177.jpg

I was doing a bit more research online last night. Looks like the MC18's are not fitted with a gear position sensor, but the MC21 onwards is. Is this also your understanding? The selector drum itself doesn't have the GPS slot on the shaft.

If this is an MC18 I would still like to know what variant it is r2j, r5k etc. The engine number is 1130166, but I cant find much clear information relating the engine number to a specific model. Browsing through old nsr-world forums posts suggests that it's probably an r5k. It's all still a bit confusing to me though. I just want to be sure, so I can avoid ordering the wrong parts again.

Right, I'm pretty sure I've identified the engine as an 1989 MC18 r5k. Found these images of an r5k crank: http://edetuckracing.blogspot.co.nz/2010/06/nsr-mc18-crankshaft-picture.html

Compare it with this '88 MC18 crank on Yahoo Japan: http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n109117471

You can see that the centre bearing on the '88 crank has a separate seal, whereas the image of the '89 crank shows an o-ring seal around the bearing. The images of the '89 crank look to match my crank exactly, so I'm pleased to have solved that little problem. :)

Moa, you definitely have a MC18 motor there.

So, I guess your next job is finding a MC18 crank...

Dale said:
Moa, you definitely have a MC18 motor there.

So, I guess your next job is finding a MC18 crank...

Yep, those cranks for the later model mc18's seem pretty elusive though, but I'm not expecting to find one right away.

In the mean time I'll be pricing up other engine parts. I got a quote to get my barrels re-plated, $575 for one, $895 for both :eek:. Might be easier to find a good used barrel instead, as one of mine is still useable. There's only one place in New Zealand that re-plates cylinders, so I may look to sending mine overseas if it's going to be cheaper. I've also bought an airbox and kickstarter.

It may take awhile, but this build is definitely going to happen!

Where in nz are you based Moa? I'm in chch and always keen to help build stuff.

MikeyG said:
Where in nz are you based Moa? I'm in chch and always keen to help build stuff.

Hi Mikey, I'm up in Auckland. Do you have any two-stroke or NSR expertise?

Moa said:
It may take awhile, but this build is definitely going to happen!

Sweeeet :D all good things take time (and money :( )

Moa, spoke to Mario last night... he has a MC18 crank available for sale...

nsr250spares.com/

Use the contact tab on the site to get hold of him.
He will give you expert advise as well.
Very knowledgeable.

Did you get a MC16 or MC18 airbox? Are they the same? (I don't know anything about MC16's).
Check to see if it fits under your MC16 tank. If yo have a MC18 airbox, and it doesn't look like its going to fit, I do have a MC18 tank lying around...

Back
Top Bottom