1974 CB350F: Making it the DD

coalnation

Live long and prosper.
So I'm currently in the process of starting a business which means I have to cut unnecessary cost from my life. One of those things happens to be my car. I love her, but she has to go since I only drive her a couple of times a week. I have my new work truck to drive around, however, it isn't the ideal truck for running up to the grocery store. My plan is to turn my CB350F and GT185 into my primary methods of transportation. I also have my truck and girlfriend's Tahoe to fall back on too. I picked up the bikes earlier this year for a ridiculously low price (about $300 total), and both of the bikes came with titles.

The CB350F had been sitting for at least 15 years but was in excellent condition. It has surface rust here and there and the exhaust was kind of rusted. Since it was already so nice I didn't want to molest it and decided to keep it as original as possible. So far I have replaced the exhaust with a 4 into 1 pipe, new points cover, new spark plugs, new air filter, new oil filter, new handlebars, new grips, and new mirrors. I plan on getting an electronic ignition and a new headlight before I put it on the road. I am also going to trim the front and rear fender down a bit.

The GT185 had already been worked on in recent years. The only thing I have done is replaced the bars, points, plugs, battery, and cleaned the carbs. Last night I tried to fire it up for the first time and could not get it to fire up. I also could not get any of the electrical to work. Going to mess with it today and see what I can come up with. I'll more than likely be asking for help later.

Anyways, here are some pictures from yesterday. I'm going to try and keep a log of everything I do in this thread.​

vqP0rOb.jpg

XmVS8Fe.jpg

APFfr43.jpg

Re: 1974 CB350F & 1972 GT185: Sacrifices Can Be FUN!

No way...is that Gt a 2 stroke? How is the ground at the battery/ frame, also check the tail light / wiring back there

DesmoBro said:
No way...is that Gt a 2 stroke? How is the ground at the battery/ frame, also check the tail light / wiring back there

I'm in the process of going through the wiring now. Someone had messed with it at some point and things weren't done the right way. However, they did label all the wires!

Haven't gotten much done this week, was able to spend a couple of hours working on the CB350F. Made a side mount license plate and tail light mount. I like it, however, I'm still considering putting it on the rear fender. I also cleaned up the wheels a lot, at the moment I'm using my money to upgrade the main components of the bike to make it more functional. I opted to go with a new electronic ignition and a new all in one rectifier instead of new wheels. I will be getting new tires though!

Ae9Fb9s.jpg

ZhSLzkJ.jpg

Spent some money yesterday and ordered an electronic ignition and a pair of Redwing Shocks from eBay. Both should be here next week.

zXAHZ1J.jpg

New shocks came in today. Got them mounted and can't wait to test them out. I plan on making some real progress on the bike this weekend. I'm going to wire the electronic ignition, wire the new switches, clean the carbs, and wrap the exhaust.

Waiting on some parts to come in and got into the CB350F a little more today. The bike had been sitting for a long time before I got it, however, the owner told me he did clean the carbs and they were good to go. Before I even took them off I ordered a rebuild kit. Glad I did.

yxU13pZ.jpg

I sprayed them with Purple Power while I was cleaning the engine off, this was the outcome. Not bad for them sitting with that on them for 15 minutes.

1E4zRxe.jpg

Within the next few days new parts will be coming in. I'm replacing all of the cables and brake lines. I also got new gauge faces because mine are extremely cracked. A new headlight bucket is also on the way.

Cool beans, keen to see where you take the GT. Always good to see one complete, the box of parts in my profile pic is what my GT185 looked like when I got it. Nice price, score!

bobminkwell said:
Cool beans, keen to see where you take the GT. Always good to see one complete, the box of parts in my profile pic is what my GT185 looked like when I got it. Nice price, score!

Work has been killing me lately and I've had little time to work on the bikes. I did get the CB350F carbs almost completed tonight. Simple Green worked wonders for me. You can see the before pictures earlier in the thread. I still need to set the float height in the carbs. I am also having trouble getting the float bowl to sit flush on the carb body, it seems to be getting caught on the leaf spring and main jet. I put it back in the same way it was when I took them apart. I also replaced the main jets. Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Anyways, here are some pictures I took tonight. This was my first time ever doing carbs.

RDYFtFL.jpg

KcH9g3U.jpg

mX6Dsp2.jpg

Anyone have any clue why the leaf springs could be preventing the bowls from going on properly?

Back
Top Bottom