Vintage "mag" wheels anyone?

scott s

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I don't really know why, but I have a thing for vintage "mag" wheels. And, Yes, I'm using "mag" the way some people use "Coke". The wheels are rarely magnesium. Usually aluminum or some other alloy.

I've had a few sets of Lester wheels for the CB500/550. The 18" rear is hard to find. It seems that back in the day everyone was going for the chopper look and installing a 16" rear.

A 19/16 combo.

And a 19/18 pair.

My 550F also came with a set. The original owners father owned the Honda/Kawasaki dealer and this bike was his 16th birthday present. He added the Lester's and the 400F bars before it ever left the showroom. The wheels are worth half of what I paid for the bike!

People often confuse the Lester's with factory Yamaha mags. They're close, but not the same.

Here's a set of Henry Abe wheels I restored. Probably more rare then the Lester's. These are powdercoated.

And the bike they're going on. Still under comstruction.

A set of Yamaha Star/Pentagram wheels I'm currently working on. Also pretty rare, especially the rear wheel. People confuse these with Suzuki mags.

And then there's the Morris, KimTab, Shelby Dowd, etc., etc.

Any of you guys sitting on any vintage mag wheels out there?

I know Kawasaki had an 18" rear, but not sure what models it was used on or if they swap.

Here's one near me:

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/mpo/4941760251.html

Re: Vintage "mag" wheels anyone?

Yam RD mags :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427785706884.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427785706884.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 439
The Yamaha mags are pretty plentiful. The 18" rear is somewhat desirable for people that want to get rid of the 16" rear. I think the 18" came on some RD and some XS400 models and in two widths, but even the "wide" one wasn't that wide.

I have fitted GS Suzuki wheels to GT750s and I have a 3" x 18 Morris here somewhere

Re: Vintage "mag" wheels anyone?

There's 18" rears on my xs750's.
With the major disadvantage of being shaft driven..
Must say i feel kinda relieved seeing them look so good when polished though!
Mine looks like crap.
Have to do a number on them..

scott s said:
And the bike they're going on. Still under comstruction.

Wheels are looking great......I'm interested in that seat pan.....can you go into further detail?

Thanks bro.....

danker16 said:
really hope i could find a 18in mag wheel to replace the 16in on my KZ440!
[Since you're talking 16" rear wheel, I'm assuming you have a KZ440 LTD.] The KZ440G came with an 18" mag rear wheel and belt drive (it looks like a '79 KZ400 with mag wheels and a different seat). So did the KZ550/650/750 4 cylinder "standards" (not LTDs or Spectres) of that era; not sure which model designation they have. These were fairly rare in the USA due to the marketing fascination with H-D choppers in that era. Don't know if the 4 cyl wheels would easily fit the KZ440, but I know the G model wheel would.

budlite282 said:
Wheels are looking great......I'm interested in that seat pan.....can you go into further detail?

Thanks bro.....

It's hand built by Mitch at Vulgar Cycles in Charlotte, NC. It sorta replicates the KZ650 tail but fits the frame of the CB550.

'82 XZ550. Front and rear both 18"

Attachments

• Rear Wheel Powder Coated.jpg
    Rear Wheel Powder Coated.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 1,273
xb33bsa said:
hey i got some of those wheels, a set , and other xz parts let me know if you need 'em
Thanks mate. I think I'm good for parts at the moment.

I have Kimtabs on 3 bikes.
The XR:

The Kawaton:

And also a set on the Sand Cast CB750, sorry no pic.

Back
Top Bottom