new tire = bad wobbles at every speed

sphynx88

Been Around the Block
Got a new Shinko put on the front of my GS850. Non tube tire, we used a tube since that's what the bike had originally and the mag was built for it.

Took it for a short spin today and there was a BAD wobble at any speed (didn't take it above 35). Took it home immediately and parked it. The guy who put the tire on thought the tube might not be in straight so he'll take a look at it for me. Any other ideas?

Get it balanced again. Check you have the spacers in the right place. Check the bearings spin freely and check axle nut torque.

That is about it.

If the only thing you changed was the front tyre then it's most likely out of balance.

OR....the beads aren't seated properly and the tyre is sitting skew on the rim. You can check this by looking at the bead lines on the wall of the tyre (near the rim). They should be evenly spaced all round the tyre.

+1. Maybe the bead has not seated completely all the way around. I have had that happen once with an inexpensive tire before (can't remember what brand). I've mounted hundreds of tires, and didn't notice it, and in fact it was not at all noticeable examining it. I know how absurd that sounds, but spinning it on the bike, it looked much more like a defective tire and not at all like it wasn't seated. Even looking carefully right where the obvious problem was, the tire was tight against the flange and didn't look like it was not concentric with the rim. It looked the same all the way around. Very obvious problem riding the bike though. I was going to take it off and return it to the supplier, but gave it another shot. Deflated it, pushed all the bead off the rim shoulder, lubed the hell out of it (again), and it popped back on the rim correctly with WAY too much air pressure. Scary, but was perfectly fine after that. Evidently nothing wrong with the tire, just really tight. This was a spoke wheel so it had an inner tube, but don't think that had anything to do with it.

I cheaped out on a Kenda rear tire. It was so out of round it would vibrate your fillings out. Returned it for another one, and it was just as out of round. Moral of the story is don't go cheap on tires.

I had a similar situation recently. It turned out the thicker part of the inner tube around the valve was getting pinched between the tire and the rim, causing the tire to bulge out there slightly. Used some lube to get it to pop into the tire then all was good.

END OF LINE

Back
Top Bottom