Brake calliper bolt removal

el__burro

Good morning, I am trying to find an easier way to remove these stubborn bolts from the callipers.
I tried with a lot of wd40 but I am only damaging the bolt.
Any suggestions?

El__burro

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433511951605.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433511951605.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 198
Have you tried soaking the whole assembly in kerosene? How about using some Kroil? Kroil is the best penetrating oil that I have ever used. http://kroil.com/

Drill out the bolt heads. the caliper will slide off and you can use Ichibans Metric vise grips to get the remains out.

Then get new bolts asnd put anti-sieze on. Those are likely stainless steel bolts and have siezed to the aluminum.

Hard to see how much damage there is to the socket heads but a lot of times these bolts are not so much corroded and seized as they are simply really tight. Mydlyf 's notion to drill off the heads is a good one, but if you don't want to do that, try this. I have taken the closest larger size SAE allen wrench and just driven it into the damaged bolt head with a hammer. You can grind it down first if needed to get a super tight fit. This is a pretty crude technique, but it has worked for me in the past - some applications are risky to attempt drilling (not that beating your parts up with a hammer is all that friendly!). Heat the female threaded side with a torch and try to back out the bolts. That will also help a great deal if they are in fact corroded. Might be worth a try before grabbing the drill - it can be easy to break bits getting past the hex recess.

I have a special tool,its manual 'power' screw driver.you can put any bit in it (allen head,philips,...) then smack the top with a hammer and it makes a little movement and opens up even the tightest bolts.
I can only +1 what mobius said,especially on the heat part,worked wonders on seized threads.

Like moby said, drive the ASE allen tip in after grinding the tip to a taper... just the tapping alone will help loosen shit up, then put the impact on it an give it some short bursts if it turns some click the impact over to FWD and go back and forth with short bursts then after a few just back it out... heat would be nice too but my experience with that Honda caliper is that it is the SS/Alloy white rust from chopsticks and the only thing getting in is PB and lots of heat cool runs with full saturation between.

Drill it.

sorry, i forgot to say.. its done.
just applied some heath and a good allen key in a vice

thanks
el__burro

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom