78' cb750k rear wheel swap - 17" -> 18"

Adroite

Just looking for any opinions on best practice. Could I just lace an 18" rim to my existing hub or just I try and track down a pre 76' 18" rim with hub? Just trying to get a bit more symmetry between the front and rear.

ybph4ns.jpg

I bet you could find someone looking for a 17" and swap it, in fact if your rim and hub is real good... my son would likely trade you if his is an 18 so he can go 17-17 on his.

I bet you could find someone looking for a 17" and swap it, in fact if your rim and hub is real good... my son would likely trade you if his is an 18 so he can go 17-17 on his.

It's in fairly good shape. The previous owner did put 50k+ on the bike, but it was always kept in storage of some type. Bike had very little rust on it. I'll try and get some shots of hub/rim!

There's a bunch of wheels that'll swap so long as you get the width and spacers right. As long as the wheel is narrower you can have some spacers custom made to center it up, and if it's still a drum brake, no worries. If it's a disc, it can still be done, but will take some fabrication of a caliper plate and master cylinder mount on your sets.

Jewbacca said:
There's a bunch of wheels that'll swap so long as you get the width and spacers right. As long as the wheel is narrower you can have some spacers custom made to center it up, and if it's still a drum brake, no worries. If it's a disc, it can still be done, but will take some fabrication of a caliper plate and master cylinder mount on your sets.

I just put a '72 rear 18" spoked rim on an '81 DOHC that was comstar 16" mag....the drum and sprocket carriers swapped straight over and the spacers all were correct as well. That said, you can buy a 40-hole 18" rim and lace it to your hub with $37 worth of new spokes and nipples from cb750supply.com

Back
Top Bottom