First ever cafe build progress report

How about a rear wheel Hugger mounted to the top of the swing arm. May need some trimming or the chain guard cutting off. Sure you could get a cheap one on ebay.

Mounted up my idiot lights tonight. Still have to fab up a bracket for a mini speedo and the choke.

Attachments

• tach mount 3.jpg
    tach mount 3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 1,185
  • tach mount 5.jpg
    tach mount 5.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,154
  • tach mount 5.jpg
    tach mount 5.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,189
Pretty damn slick!
I have been thinking along those same lines, It's nice to see it in reality instead of the cobwebs inside my head.
Built or bought?

wow, just recently picked up my first project bike ( 79 cb750 ) after owning crotch rockets and this has given me so much inspiration .

for the rear inside fender, what about perspexs or similar? Theres a build on here that used that and it looked smooth as! I love everything so far and your frame has sold me on red!!

biker_reject said:
Pics of my newly redesigned rear sets.
...*snip*...
The rods came from the guys at Dime City.

newrearsets3.jpg

newrearsets2.jpg
As you know, I am at this stage of my build, so I hope you don't mind if I pick your brain for a minute.
I saw you went with the Dime City universal linkage, looks great! Did you also use their off set shift lever?
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-transmission-parts-offset-shifter-shaft-02-5000.html

02-5000-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-transmission-shifter-parts-tarozzi-offset-30-tooth-shifter-fork-rosette-1.jpg

Or maybe this one?
http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-transmission-parts-offset-shifter-shaft-01-0082.html
01-0082-vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-transmission-shifter-parts-offset-tarozzi-30-tooth-shifter-fork-rosette-1.jpg

And next, what did you do for the brake side lever? Almost looks like the original brake levers pinch point with a plate welded to the back side.
I found this on FastfromthePast listed for a Euro spec 79-81 DOHC 750 "K" model, figured it might just work on my "C" as my sub shaft this attaches to looks to be identical to yours.
http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/the-836/Brake-Lever-XX-dsh-0052/Detail

01-0067pro.jpg

I used the original shift lever and lopped off the brake lever and yes, welded a tab that I formed on a grinder onto the pinch point. The offset wasn't quite right, but luckily it worked when I flipped it around. I had it powder coated black, but it looks out of place. I'm considering painting my rearsets black.

Ugh... Rear sets are not something I look forward to building on my two-up DOHC. I'm anxiously watching you two gents though, the custom experiments you've done will inevitably be helpful to other builders.

Are there other places to mount the rear sets on these bikes, or did you consider doing custom work to mount them? Just wondering.

1981 CB750K (a bunch of parts in boxes)

I should have asked that flat out. I thought they were pretty far back. I'm 6'1" and I don't think I could enjoy a ride with that setup.

You can always move them though...

How did you plug the rear fender loop holes after you cut them? I was told you should weld slugs into it, but I'm not sure where the slug store is in Fort Worth, and I'm not confident on the little 110 weld-o-tron in my garage. Other options would be cool.

kraptastic k said:
I should have asked that flat out. I thought they were pretty far back. I'm 6'1" and I don't think I could enjoy a ride with that setup.

You can always move them though...

How did you plug the rear fender loop holes after you cut them? I was told you should weld slugs into it, but I'm not sure where the slug store is in Fort Worth, and I'm not confident on the little 110 weld-o-tron in my garage. Other options would be cool.

Yeah, I've been thinking about rearset placement for some time. The problem is that the frame is already powder coated. Doh! I didn't plug the loop holes, but they are powdercoated on the inside for at least a few inches. I had to cut them at an angle to accommodate the shape of my seat which is not a common one. Anyway, the seat cowl covers the frame so that section is sealed by the cowl and the undertail. I don't have any worries that water will get in the tubes.

I have used the end plugs from 7/8" handle bars that I removed to install my bar end mirrors.
Also have seen the brass from shotgun shells that I thought was pretty cool. 8)

Not a whole lot to add. Got my Radianz integrated tail light last week but haven't mounted it yet. Also found a used K&N filter for the air box I dug out of the shed. I decided to ditch the pods and go stock set up in order to forgo any head aches with jetting. I cleaned it outside and in and painted it with Plastidip. I think it looks ok, not as good as pods, but not too shabby. Still playing around with the idea of painting my rearsets black, perhaps with a wrinkle black or truck bed liner.

Attachments

• IMG_6866.JPG
    IMG_6866.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 1,003
  • IMG_6868.JPG
    IMG_6868.JPG
    132.5 KB · Views: 1,016
bike looks really nice.. still waiting for my virago updates! on a side note, I lived right near you not too long ago in Evansville, played for the Evansville Icemen. (hockey team)

Just found your thread here. Read the whole thing. Very cool bike. I have one too and your build is helping motivate me. I plan on doing the airbox too, same reasons. I figure it'll be alot easier to tune that way.

Great work.

MJPriceisright said:
bike looks really nice.. still waiting for my virago updates! on a side note, I lived right near you not too long ago in Evansville, played for the Evansville Icemen. (hockey team)

Wow, that's awesome. I regret never making a game - more so now. Where are you now? Still playing? Did you have a cafe bike while you were living here??? Once the CB is finished, the XV will have my full attention. I think I found a hook up to have an exhaust fabbed up for it. You wouldn't think it would be that big a deal, would you? I couldn't find a single person in this town willing to make me a simple 2 into 1 exhaust for a V-twin. Crazy...

Nice work so far.Keep it up.
Not sure you wont have issues with the K&N filter as well. It is my understanding these bikes run best with the standard paper filter.
Personally I cant say. Please disregard my PODS.

Never mind I see you switched carbs.

You may want to look at a guard for the drive side, that rearset could put you heel really close to the chain.

biker_reject said:
Wow, that's awesome. I regret never making a game - more so now. Where are you now? Still playing? Did you have a cafe bike while you were living here??? Once the CB is finished, the XV will have my full attention. I think I found a hook up to have an exhaust fabbed up for it. You wouldn't think it would be that big a deal, would you? I couldn't find a single person in this town willing to make me a simple 2 into 1 exhaust for a V-twin. Crazy...

nope my playing days are all over, my last season in the minors was two years ago until I went through a season ending injury while within the Ottawa senators farm system. I didn't have a bike down there while I was playing, only because one day you're comfortable where you are, and the next day you could be traded to a different team on the opposite side of the country. yeah I actually just ended up sectioning my own custom exhaust for the XV, was kind of a pain in the ass, but it was great practice time as I got to lay a bunch of welds down.

Back
Top Bottom