1972 DS7 The Row Boat

Thanks dude
Well I burnt up my ballistic battery. I used it to start my lawnmower and dropped the positive lead. It shorted out and quickly fired it . So now what? I mean at least my grass got cut. I'm thinking about just doing away with the battery instead of dropping another $130 bucks. I would just need to rewire the coil and add a switch to ground.

How about a small AGM to help smooth out the pulses at low speed and around town. Ignition on those is CDI yes? so it's only an issue of having lights when sitting at a red light.

That is correct teaser. Some people complain at idle, some say its a non issue. I may just try it out and see how it goes but yes an agm would fit the bill or a kill switch to ground.

clem said:
MZB ignition xb. You don't need no stinking battery with it. Lol
safety was my concern...dark lonely country road... for some reason the engines die or you feel the need to cut off the ignition ...pitch blackness bro... ..besides sitting off the edge with no light way for oncoming tariffic to see you

I got the electrical tray, fork brace and clutch lever back from powder coat. The bike is 90% wired up again. I decided to go with a shorai battery this time around, it seems a bit more sold than the ballistic. Next up is getting the tail section and tank ready for paint.

Attachments

• 20150529_194525.jpg
    20150529_194525.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 287
Brodie, the tank is pretty open as is the elec tray. Kinda looks like a wind tunnel in there. Lol. Thanks dude.

Re: 1972 DS7 2 years and counting.

I can't say it's done yet but I'm inching closer. I have black and gold decals coming along with a carbon fiber front fender. I dropped the previous fender on the ground during the primer stage and through much frustration decided CF would be easier than paint. I am going to reset the timing once more before I fire her up again. Hopefully I won't have any hiccups.

Attachments

• 20130127_154732.jpg
    20130127_154732.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 309
  • 20150719_163417.jpg
    20150719_163417.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 313
Beautiful bike sir! Red on red with gold wheels is hard to beat - been wanting to do that myself for a long time! Could be an inspiration! A 400 tank and 350 side covers always make a nice combo. Love those piston port motors too - that's a real 2-stroke there! I've done several battery-less street bikes - personally don't have an issue with the low electrical power at idle, but I haven't been light-less on the side of the road at night either. Have to say that for me, the simplicity and super strong and completely independent (at least on my bikes) ignition is extremely confidence inspiring so I don't harbor any concern.

JP, I definitely took a page off of Redbird's DS7 with the 350 side cover and oil tank. I find that the stock DS7 covers look like they came from the Jetsons cartoon so I set them aside. I am going with this set of decals but I am dropping the white and going black and gold only on them. It's small stuff now, I need to get a 10mm fine thread lock nut for the upper shock mount, the oil tank and side cover dampers and a battery and I should be good to go. The only thing that I remember about old school two strokes was that they were just like light switches, either on or off!
Powderfinger, thanks for the compliment, she did run fine before I tore it down for paint.
AgentX, Will we see the Enfield War Pig this October?

Attachments

• RD400 decal.jpg
    RD400 decal.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 777
Clem, I will still be in Africa...there is a small chance of me making the 2016-2019 Barber events because while I will be posted stateside, my deployment schedule will be fairly brutal. Too bad-would love to see this machine in person and drink some more beer...!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Ah, Africa. Have you ever watched The Long Way Down? Seems like some places there have great people. Maybe that's just TV.

clem said:
I find that the stock DS7 covers look like they came from the Jetsons cartoon so I set them aside.
Jetsons definitely! Super cool on the right bike and awesome on a restored bike with that chrome though.

clem said:
I am going with this set of decals but I am dropping the white and going black and gold only on them.
Just my $0.02, I think your bike looks fantastic unadorned, so maybe think about keeping the decal work to a minimum. Sometimes less is more!

jpmobius said:
Jetsons definitely! Super cool on the right bike and awesome on a restored bike with that chrome though.
Just my $0.02, I think your bike looks fantastic unadorned, so maybe think about keeping the decal work to a minimum. Sometimes less is more!

By seeing some of your work here I'd say that your $0.02 is worth a few dollars. Initially I was just going to use the Yamaha decals from the Daytona special tank. I have ordered those so at a minimum they will get applied. The side covers will be left sans decal but I was considering using those decals on the lower part of the tail section. I agree with the simplistic look that you are reffering too. Once I have the decals in hand is when I'll probably make the decision. It'll either be a winner or a costly trial. ;)

By the way, have you seen the bike in the banner above? Slick is an easy way to describe it.

clem said:
Ah, Africa. Have you ever watched The Long Way Down? Seems like some places there have great people. Maybe that's just TV.

Haven't had a chance to, but I look forward to it once I can get a copy. Africa's full of people who'd give you their sole dirty, torn t-shirt off their back simply for showing up. With a smattering of those who'd hack you with a machete for your own, or just for the fun of it.

Back
Top Bottom