KZ GPZ 750 camshafts/fitment

AWDimprezal

What am I needing to swap cams from a GPZ to my KZ besides the obvious cams/shims, will I need springs? Ive heard of just swapping the exhaust, but I dont get the point of it, if someone can break it down for me, that would be great!

You need to talk to Doug (beatnic), or Travis (ThompsonMx). Trav is building a gpz, and Doug is a lover of all things gs. Thegsresources is a great source of knowledge too.

AWDimprezal said:
What am I needing to swap cams from a GPZ to my KZ besides the obvious cams/shims, will I need springs? Ive heard of just swapping the exhaust, but I dont get the point of it, if someone can break it down for me, that would be great!

Stock springs will work just fine,don't remember the factory using different ones.
If swapping just one do the intake.
And read your manual,KZ and GPZ used different bolt holes in the cam gear.
You can actually advance and retard your cam by about 5.5 degrees.

If it's running fine, don't mess with it.
If you don't fully understand cam timing procedure for DOHC motor you will more than likely destroy top end (marking cams and chain links with 'whiteout' is NOT A GOOD IDEA)

crazypj said:
If it's running fine, don't mess with it.
If you don't fully understand cam timing procedure for DOHC motor you will more than likely destroy top end (marking cams and chain links with 'whiteout' is NOT A GOOD IDEA)

Ive done valve adjustments on my z1k, there is no way I couldnt understand this engine's DOHC setup.

In that case, just fit the cams.
You can always fit a degree wheel to crank and dial them in at a later date.
Your probably aware that a lot of people get 'over their heads' real quick with engine work

Isnt it supposed to be gpz head on kz lower? A stock gpz head will outflow a ported kz head. The kz cam degree, one of the most difficult jobs there is. Shim under bucket with a lift on those, it will spit the shim out.

Degreeing any bolt on sprocket DOHC motor is easy. pressed on sprockets are difficult.
You can do all the work with the cam cover off.
Just advance sprocket 1 tooth then file the holes to get timing you want (that way the sprocket can't move as it's already pressing on bolt)

Back
Top Bottom