'86 Interceptor 2 smoke project

interceptor

Coast to Coast
As I finish one project, another always seems to find a way into the shop. I have always loved the 80's Interceptors. The styling was amazing, the variety of engine sizes was endless, and the colors. Oh man, I love those colors. Back in the 90's I had a 85 Interceptor 500. I loved that thing, but as the story goes, other commitments took hold of my life, and well, I sold it. I regretted it ever since. I have been thinking for awhile of a way to marry a two stroke engine into a 'modern' motorcycle. Many folks are putting the Banshee engines in newer bikes. And I have just been reading of guys putting snowmobile engines in bikes. Crazy! But for the sake of ease, I think I will go with a nice big cylinder 2 stroke engine from some type of on/off road two stroke 90's bike. I don't know much about these bikes, so a little investigation is necessary. If anybody can recommend any good solid engine from that era, let me know. It would have to be able to power lights and such, so that's why I want to go with an on/off road bike. I was thinking of a big CC engine, too, like a 400-500 or so. Easy to upgrade with available parts (reed valves, exhaust, etc.).
As luck would have it, I found my frame yesterday. And since I have learned my lesson with titles, I made sure it has a title ;D For now, I will find parts to put it back together, but at some point I need to find the engine and try to fit it in there. I'm not going to change anything with the subframe, or the swingarm or USD forks, I just want to put something together that is different and hell of fun to ride.

500-1_zpsi3aefbjw.jpg

500-2_zpst32wmp6t.jpg

500-3_zpsw8248a2c.jpg

In for the long haul on this one! I think your right on the money with using a motor from a street bike for ease. Snowmobile motors are wicked, but unless you want a heat sensitive automatic, your better off with a street bike motor! Good luck my friend

Thanks buddy. The snowmobile thing is cool, but not for me. I have a Suzuki RMX 250 and man does that thing fly. I can only imagine what a CR500 would feel like.

I miss my 86' VF500 interceptor;it had a Lot more mid-range power than my 85'.I put the mufflers from the 85' on it w/ a jet kit and it wailed ! I like the 2-stroke idea you've got.
Do you have any solid candidates for an engine yet ?

Nothing yet. Still trying to decide which engine I want to put in there. It's going to be between a CR500 engine and a RMX250. The RMX would be great because it already is set up for powering lights. The CR (I don't believe) is. But I really want the extra CC's. So, I'm torn.

I wonder if anyone makes a decent enduro lighting kit('Baja Designs' or something like that in CA.?) for the CR500 that'll give you a stator w/ 110 wts.?
I know the more powerful the stator,the heavier the flywheel.. I have an 83' XL200R engine(same as the XR200 but only has 5 spds.,I'l be changing to 6 spds. later; and the XL200R puts out 196 wts)w/ a good stator that i'll be fitting into my CB125 frame.
I like the motor swap idea better than trying to build-up the stock motors myself :)

interceptor said:
Nothing yet. Still trying to decide which engine I want to put in there. It's going to be between a CR500 engine and a RMX250. The RMX would be great because it already is set up for powering lights. The CR (I don't believe) is. But I really want the extra CC's. So, I'm torn.
There is someone on here with a CR500 chopper, so I'm assuming it can run at minimum a headlight and tail light. I'd look it up and pm him though.

I have decided that I will go with a CR500 powerplant. I found this online and feel it will do the job:
https://www.servicehonda.com/cr500-ignition-and-light-coil
If I can find an engine from a certain year, they claim it has 70+ horsepower. Dang! If I added a pipe and some jetting, new reed valve, aftermarket air filter and this ignition system included in the kit, this thing is going to be scary! I have thought about the possibility of it not fitting properly in the engine cradle, and not being able to use the kick starter because it may be inside too much, but I will have to figure that out. I have my RMX 250 at work and will take measurements of that and see how it fits in there. I've never had a bump start bike before. Hmmmm?

Its funny you say that about the 250R. Seen a lot for sale lately. Very good possibility there. I know zero about KTM, but I will do some research and see what I can find.

https://youtu.be/FdY2MdRq4qw

couldn't help myself =) ill just leave this here

Hey guys, I need your input. I have found a package deal; 2 YZ 490's- 1 an 87 and the other is an 89. Both run, and are complete. I can sell my RMX250 and buy them both, then I can still have a dirt bike and dedicate one to the Interceptor. Seems like a good idea, yes? Pros and Cons please as I don't know much about the YZ490.
I'm wondering if I can swap the alternator out of an IT490 and install on the YZ490?

I did some research on the yz490. Seems to be a disliked engine because the carb was hard to dial in, and some other things. So I`ll pass. I was looking for something cheap, but nonody is selling anything cheap ??? So, the answer has been in front of me the whole time. I`ll sacrafice my 1994 RMX250. I rebuilt the engine last year, so basically everything is new. I didnt want to go tht route, but honestly it makes sense. I know it runs good, trans is solid, carb is rebuilt, etc. Initial measurements indicate it will fit in there, but new brackets will have to be welded in place. Measurement from the middle of the chain to outside of the right side of the engine shows that I may be able to use the kick starter thats on there. The only issue I see right now is the the rear engine mount is part of the pivot bolt for the swingarm (on the RMX). I`ll hve to look at that in more detail later today.

Back
Top Bottom