1972 DS7 The Row Boat

I bought some flush mounts but they are too big to fit anywhere. I'm not opposed to standard type signals just have to find the right place.

I've always been a fan of these style turn signals:

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-electrical-parts/turn-signals-universal/bikemaster-narrow-arrow-head-ii-l-e-d-turn-signals

Luckily, here in Colorado, turn signals aren't required to be street legal. ;)

In Louisiana, if the vehicle was not manufactured with them you don't need them. This one had them and I'd feel a little better off with them.
Those style turn signals are a consideration although I didn't want LED's. I was hoping to get more done on the bike over this weekend but the water heater broke on Christmas day so time an money are going to that right now.

Over the break I made a new shifter so that I could get all things parallel and perpendicular to aid in the shifting. I ordered a peg from Fast From The Past, I made the rest with a porta-band and hand files. I hate working crude but it's what I got. I am also thinking about running the side covers. Maybe not these but some from a RD250/350. Still undecided.
I should be bringing the exhaust manifolds and the kick stand to the aluminum welder today. The manifolds are a two piece press fit but I need to get them welded so that I can turn down the backside flush with the flange. Even though they are the same O.D. as the gasket the still leaked carbon ooze so I'll use RTV on the whole flange once it's done. This change in length was accounted for in the header prior to fabrication in case anyone is wondering. I need more acetylene to finish the last bit on the chambers.

Attachments

• 20150103_112403.jpg
    20150103_112403.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 253
  • 20150103_104743.jpg
    20150103_104743.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 317
  • 20150103_113516.jpg
    20150103_113516.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 243
High On Octane said:
I've always been a fan of these style turn signals:

http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarket-parts/motorcycle-electrical-parts/turn-signals-universal/bikemaster-narrow-arrow-head-ii-l-e-d-turn-signals

Luckily, here in Colorado, turn signals aren't required to be street legal. ;)

I have a set of the same / similar turn signals. They are BRIGHT and pretty small.

Good work so far Clem.

XB those are very nice. I already have a set of blinkers on the front and as petty as it sounds those wouldn't match what I already have. I would need (4) of those aluminum style like you have that way I could swap out the front. I am trying to score some parts for the daytona right now so I may not spend any big money on this one for a couple of weeks. The pains of multiple projects....

No pictorial update here. I have made some progress on this in the shifting category. If you recall this was a troublesome area on this bike. I split the cases and started to manually go through the gears so that I could see what was going on here first hand. 1st gear would engage, I watched 2nd gear slide over and then right before the dogs would catch it would slighly shift back in the opposite direction. 3rd gear would act the same as 2nd. 4th thru 6th were fine. I was puzzled wondering if maybe I had the wrong shift drum in there so I pulled that out and compared it to one off of a RD400 and it was the same. Still puzzled. Looked atbthe shift stopper(star) and it wasn't indexed like the 400 was so I went to counting the indents and behold I had a 5 speed stopper on the 6 speed drum. So much greif over something so silly. It shifts!
I also had to re do the shock mount both top and bottom. I noticed that I had the angle of the bell crank fixed to where it was sitting to far along in its given range making the suspension very stiff. In order to correct this I would have to lower the shock. This put the shock closer to a 90deg angle with the upper mount. This would now put full force on the upper mount so I went RZ style with it. The bike is very plush in its initial stroke now.
The frame will go to the powder coater this weekend so I should be able to put new pics up soon.

Mike
If you leave your house now and start walking, I'll be done by the time you get here. You can have the first ride. Haha. I'm still trying to get this stuff dropped off at the powder coater. Seems like our schedules are off. Good news is that if I drop it off by Monday it should be done by the weekend.

Got the frame back. I need to paint the tins and the triple clamps then onto the clutch and brake lever. I'm hoping it won't be difficult to get insurance on this bike. I had to submit pictures for my 160 so we'll see.

Attachments

• 20150509_171915.jpg
    20150509_171915.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 301
Redbird said:
That's just sexyness right there :)
and to think that I forgot about the fascination with red there buddy. Time for a fresh avatar dude.
I put the front end back together tonight. I painted the lower fork legs bronze and installed new front wheel bearings. I still need to set the timing and get the fork brace and electrical tray coated. It getting close, think its been over 280 days so far.

Looking good Clem! Just let me know when it is ready for me to test ride it ;D

John mosquito season is about to kick in down here, we will need all of the smoke that we can get. The more rides the better.

clem said:
John mosquito season is about to kick in down here, we will need all of the smoke that we can get. The more rides the better.
If I was to bring the 500 down there we would will have more than enough smoke ;) Mind you that would be a long ride from Cali sitting on 3/8" seat foam :D

I'm inching closer. Got the pipes back on:

Attachments

• 20150520_193432.jpg
    20150520_193432.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 288
Back
Top Bottom