This day in history....

Tim

Administrator
Staff member
DTT was officially launched February 2, 2007. 10 years ago (later tonight to be accurate).

I registered the domain January 30, and then launched the site on GoDaddy hosting a few days later. Since then I had to relocate twice to manage the growth in members, posts, photos etc. Now it's hosted on a very nice virtual private server in a large data center with options to grow, relocate to other centers around the world etc. Shouldn't have to move again at least.

Anyhow - yeah. 10 years, and many of you have been around for most of it! Thanks for making this place what it is (and keeping it from being what it isn't).

Happy Birthday DTT!!!

I haven't been around since day one but joined later that first year, where does time go, feels like yesterday. Great forum and great members, thanks Tim.

well done tim and well done everybody who wanders in and stays, great place to hang, learn and laugh

cheers, spotty

Congrats Tim. For your next assignment, we want to see an Ichiban Moto sticker on the server, in the server farm. If you got DTT to here, I'm sure you could manage that. :)

My previous post seems to have disappeared ?

Anyroadup ...................... sincere thanx for setting this home from home up Tim, it's given me a place to be amongst like minded folk and allowed me to share my own personal history of the game with my new cousins Worldwide. 8)

I've made many friends here and had sincere support when I've been down .................... down but not out. ;)

Ha, been here almost 9 years, Made some really great friends and have learned a ton from this place. So glad you started this Tim. Here's to the next 10+ years!

Maritime said:
Ha, been here almost 9 years, Made some really great friends and have learned a ton from this place. So glad you started this Tim. Here's to the next 10+ years!

Shit .................... that means I've got to live 'til I'm 83 to join you all then !!!!!!

teazer said:
Congrats Tim. For your next assignment, we want to see an Ichiban Moto sticker on the server, in the server farm. If you got DTT to here, I'm sure you could manage that. :)

Congrats, Tim. Job well done for sure! (I just checked the date I joined and I've been around almost nine years myself... seems like just yesterday!)

Since DTT is now on a virtual server I guess that means instead of an Ichiban Moto sticker on the server, in the server farm, maybe you need to develop something like the famed "Bat Signal", of the Ichiban insignia, projected up onto the clouds (The Cloud?) with a laser or something. (All together now, on the count of 3.) 1 - 2 - 3 BAD ASS!!!!! ;D

Thanks Tim for all you (and the rest of the behind the curtain crew) do to keep this place up for us. I joined almost exactly 7 years ago, and seems like forever. Met some awesome people through this site that I would never have otherwise.

Congrats!!
And here's to many more ;)

It of course wasn't all me.

There was a small group of local riders here in Toronto that all hung out Thursday nights to ride our crappy bikes on slippery streetcar rails and little bits of windy road around the Don Valley Parkway and other limited strips where you could actually enjoy a vintage, uncomfortable cafe racer with lousy brakes.

Getting tired of trading emails, we joined a couple of forums to make communicating easier. Then I got the silly idea that I'd like a website so I launched this forum. I was a longtime member of the SOHC4 forum, and have always admired it for it's civility, generosity and for being an open source of incredible knowledge for the SOHC4 community (my first bike was a 1978 750K, then a 1973 CB500K, then a 1976 CB550F).

I took the initiative to register a domain (shocked that 'do the ton' hadn't been snapped up), and have always been the guy contracting for hosting, getting the software, managing the machinery etc. but of course our good friend Noel (locO leoN) posted all over the place letting people know the site was around and was a prolific poster back then with his crazy upswept pipes on his XS650, chopping up gas tanks for seats etc.

So with the goal of having a very civil, open, friendly site, I put the site online the evening of February 2, 2007. By the 4th there were over 60 registered members and 119 joined that month.

It waned a bit and we were only at 600 members by the end of 2007. Now we're at almost 40,000 and continue to add about 3-4,000 each year. The site has grown to almost a million posts of content, all of which is indexed by Google and other search engines and is available to the world. Look for instructions on how to do something to your bike or images of bikes, and chances are we show up in the results. That's what I was after 10 years ago.

Naturally I could never have imagined the community of friends that would emerge from this online existence. Our gatherings each year at Kiley's place for the Barber festival are just one incredible example of how so many friendships have grown as a result of sharing our experiences online.

The family that has grown from this is of course the real benefit and the one that will last lifetimes.

From 7 years ago - our first gathering at Kiley's place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRmIsyMlRV8

Thanks Tim, its been a great time watching this site grow and host all the good and bad things that have come and gone. Will be around for as long as this good things goes and maybe some after that.

Here's to another 10 years fellers!

Well, happy anniversary Tim, and happy birthday, DTT!
Thanks for hosting such a fantastic place for people to come and shoot the shit! Do the Ton is a veritable cornucopia of information and the members are all first rate people!

So, does this mean there will be a DTT Bike of the Decade? ;D

It's crazy how the time has flown by. ???

I joined in Nov 2007 and was one of the 'locals' here in Toronto during those early years. It really is amazing how this thing just 'took off'! 8)

I've had the pleasure of meeting many of you at GTG's at Mid-Ohio and Barber as well. Truly a wonderful experience and I'm looking forward to Barber 2017! :D

As has already been said, "Here's to the next 10 years!" 8)

Im a mere new comer here, but I'm awful thankful for this place and the friendships I've made! Thanks for all this Tim and everyone involved!

Congrats........is a hellava good place to come and learn.

Back
Top Bottom