71 CB350 Project (Sold!)

Re: 71 CB350 Project

Finally another update!

Since last time:

This project is slowly coming together

Completely stripped the tank to bare metal with aircraft stripper (that stuff does some serious work), as the first attempt at the tank wasn't acceptable. Got it all painted back up, and it is currently drying. Then I will give it a good clear coat. Used Rustoleum Hammered for the gray. It gives a pretty cool orange peel texture.
IMG_0808.jpg

Got some of the engine covers primed and painted
IMG_0809.jpg

Finished the seat pan, now I have to find a upholster. Unless someone knows a good cheap way to do it yourself, which I prefer.
IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Working on taping the wheels for paint. Planning on painting the spokes and hubs black and leaving the rims chrome at the moment. Anyone know a good place to buy some rear spokes? I think I have 4 or 5 I need to replace.

Got my carbs in like I said, but the knockoffs are turning out to be a pretty big pain as the mount on the carb is a flange, and not a spigot. So I think I will send them back and pick up some real Mikunis
IMG_0821.jpg

Ordered some cables. Speedo, Tach, Front brake. (Got so fork seals in the mail instead of my speedo cable, so now I have to send it back and ask them to send the right thing. Bummer)

Finally ordered some parts from DCC: Headlight mounts, air filter pods, oil filter tool, on/off switch and a couple other things I think.

Still need quite a bit in the parts category though:
Different carbs now,
Clutch and Brake lever
Headlight on/off switch (so I can have it off when I start my bike)
Headlight high/low switch
Horn switch
Throttle control
Throttle cable for my Mikunis
Bar end mirrors
Carb jets for the Mikunis (any tips on which I would need, with pod filters)
Rear wheel spokes
Tires
LED Tailight

IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

Slowly, but surely coming together. Thanks for all your help and input.

Blake: I am running with no starter or signals. As far as I know the majority of the battery was used for the electric starter. Also, I am planning on using and LED taillight and led gauge bulbs. I read a few other blogs of guys who were running with no starter. A 12v 3.3ah was about the average size they were all downsizing to. Plus its sealed and only 2.5x2.5x5 which fits perfectly where I have it.

Von: I will look into that throttle cable. Thanks

adriannarnold said:
Blake: I am running with no starter or signals. As far as I know the majority of the battery was used for the electric starter. Also, I am planning on using and LED taillight and led gauge bulbs. I read a few other blogs of guys who were running with no starter. A 12v 3.3ah was about the average size they were all downsizing to. Plus its sealed and only 2.5x2.5x5 which fits perfectly where I have it.

Von: I will look into that throttle cable. Thanks

Thanks man. What size Air Pods did you use? can you send me the link of where you bought them?

adriannarnold said:
Hey Blake,
I ordered them from DimeCityCycles for $7.95. Click the banner above. I got the 39mm ones as the first carbs I ordered were that size. I am about to purchase some real Mikuni VM30, so I hope they fit. Either way, they have a few different sizes and good at a good price.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-streetfighter-motorcycle-parts-airfilter-pod-k-and-n-39mm-12-55739.html

DCC has a lot of good stuff.

Thanks man, tell me where you get your real mikunis,as i am in the market for some!

Blake,
I just ordered some this morning from phatperformanceparts.com for about $160 shipped. A lot of place have them and some for a little bit cheaper, but most are out of stock and backordered right now.

When I ordered these their site said they would ship in 1-2 days. So I ordered them, a little bit later I got an email saying that the carbs where on backorder for 1-3 weeks. So I canceled my order

A little bit later I got a call from a guy that works there saying he dug around and found one of their distributers that still had a couple and said he would have them send them to me direct. So that's cool. Of course I told him I wanted them. Now I am anxiously awaiting the carbs.

I just have to start doing some research on the right jets for my set up, etc.

when you find out exactly what you will need to make all your carbs work:
Manifolds, clamps, ect... please tell me because i hate digging around and you are already doing this.

Thanks in advance
-blake

Sure thing,
Not a problem. I'll do that. I am currently scouring the internet looking for good info on jet setup etc. I'll post what I find.

Quick update...
Nothing to exciting:

Got both the front and back wheels painted (spokes and hubs). Rims were left chrome.

Got a few parts in. (Tach cable, Front brake cable)

Still waiting for my Mikuni vm30's (supposed to be here Wed), headlight brackets, oil filter tool, horn, sweet mini headlight high/low/off and horn switch, brake and clutch levers.

Thinking about ordering these cool bar end mirrors. What do you all think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250404485822&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Also sold a bunch of parts I'm not using today and made $130!!! (which will be thrown right back into the bike) ;D Always a plus!

Got the Mikuni VM30's finally

I installed them using the stock rubber mounts. I just threw the mounts in warm water for a little bit and squeezed the carbs on. They are nice and snug, and feel really solid.

Is there any reason why this is a bad idea? Or is there a reason I need to buy new rubber mounts?
afdb9a11.jpg

man those carbs are nice. I know everyone gets the 30 but until i have them i will always be jealous. that price was pretty nice to. I always see them for 200$ or even $300. I plan on doing the same paint job on my rims so it will be nice to see them. My chrome is still nice but my spokes look a little dull. hope you get it running soon.

Made some progress finally.

Put 145 Mains in my Mikuni VM30's (So easy to do, I already love these things)

Chopped both front and back fenders (Good old hacksaw and elbow grease)

Covered my seat (It turned out ok, first time doing something like that and in total cost just under $30)

Clear coated my tank and got it all ready to go (Need to find one front rubber mount)

Got my levers in and hooked up the cables

Still waiting on more parts. (For some reason DCC is taking FOREVER)

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0911.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg
IMG_0902.jpg

Was hoping to fire her up this weekend, but I dont have any filters yet. VM30's use 57mm, is this correct?

Still need to order:
Chain
Throttle assembly and cable
Taillight
Pod Filters
Like 5 rear spokes
Shifter rubber
Mufflers
Tires
Tank Decals
Four bolts that hold the rear sprocket on (PO somehow ground these up nice and good, and they are a mess)
Clubmans, Bar end mirrors, etc,etc

Do I need to get #176 Style Bleed Type Needle jets?

Thats it for now.

lookin' good! nice work! i think you made my mind up on the vm30's finding out that you can use the stock carb boots... hopefully you'll have the jetting sorted out by the time i catch up with you and you can let me know what you ended up with!

Re: 71 CB350 Project (SHE'S ALIVE)

HOLY CRAP....SHE JUST FIRED UP AND IDLED PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!! I nearly crapped my pants when I cranked the throttle.

Did a decent amount of work tonight. Got my parts in finally.

Put my pod filters on.
Installed my throttle cable and lubed it a bit.
Ran all the fuel lines and fuel filters.
Messed with the electrical a bit.

After a few kick she ROARED to life. I almost had a heart attack. After who knows how many years, she was purring.

Dang it, its 12:30 AM, and I have neighbors with little kids.

Right now I have to fix a leaky petcock and install the chain.
I grabbed my phone to shoot a video, but she ran out of gas. I will get right back to running her first thing in the morning.

Re: 71 CB350 Project (SHE'S ALIVE!!!!)

congratulations! 145 mains you say? i just ordered a set of mikuni vm30s so hearing that your bike is running that seems like a good starting place!

Running in the garage can be done with the main jets out. Size of the mains isn't important until you have the throttle cranked under load.

I'd get the filters and mufflers fitted and then take it for a run to get a sense of where the carburation is. Try to get it on a dyno with gas analysis to set up jetting. It's much easier and quicker than any other way to get close.

Thanks for the input. I'll look into that. Unfortunately I am stuck working all weekend.

that is awesome she fired up. i remember last year when mine did. good luck with the other parts. at least you have one of the most expensive parts of the build taken care of with the new carbs. the clubmans and other things like that run pretty cheap on ebay.

Wow great progress while i was gone mate!!! Fantastic job. I decided to stay with my Keihins... as they will run fine... But Im glad ur mikunis work good.

Back
Top Bottom