Some pinstriping I do on the side

Wow amazing stuff! You being a gal it makes sense how awesome your pinstriping is :)
I'm a firearms instructor and one of the many things I've learned about advantages women have are steadier hands than thier male counter parts. I also hear women make great surgeons for the same reason so I'm sure thats why this pin striping looks bad ass! If I tried to pin stripe it would look like an electric tooth brush was used :D

I'd definately be interested in getting some work done from you when my project progresses

maddog5150 said:
Wow amazing stuff! You being a gal it makes sense how awesome your pinstriping is :)
I'm a firearms instructor and one of the many things I've learned about advantages women have are steadier hands than thier male counter parts. I also hear women make great surgeons for the same reason so I'm sure thats why this pin striping looks bad ass! If I tried to pin stripe it would look like an electric tooth brush was used :D

I'd definately be interested in getting some work done from you when my project progresses

hehe, thank you, all the pinstripers tell me I'm good because I practice putting on eyeliner everyday ;D

I use 1Shot paints, it's really the best out there. It mixes well without getting muddy, and you only need some mineral spirit or reducer to make it lean.

Currently I'm painting the pin-up girl that is in previous pictures on the side of a tank, along with pinstriping on the top of the tank, lettering on the side and a anchor on the fender. Hoping to get it done by Monday.
4a635120-d086-6fe8.jpg

Nice work! Not sure I'd want 'HELLO SAILOR' painted on the side of my tank... but I like the pinup!

Yeah, I suggested to him that sounds eh...well you know, but he thought it was close to how they used to do Nose Art on bombers, which is true. I can always erase it with a little oven cleaner ;) if he gets whistled at by eh...Sailors.

SheSpeedTrippin said:
Yeah, I suggested to him that sounds eh...well you know, but he thought it was close to how they used to do Nose Art on bombers, which is true. I can always erase it with a little oven cleaner ;) if he gets whistled at by eh...Sailors.

Priceless! haha

Very nice. Although I do prefer the straightforward hot rod style striping. When you get figurative people want to see what they know. With lines you can be more creative. My constructive crit would be that the outstretched leg looks way longer than the bent one but. Who the fuck am I right? Good job, Better than what I could do.

Hey speedTrippin' can you give me some pointers? im tryin' to start doing this on my own. i've done a few but with paint markers and pens but nothing major yet. Thanks so much!

frankenstuff said:
Very nice. Although I do prefer the straightforward hot rod style striping. When you get figurative people want to see what they know. With lines you can be more creative. My constructive crit would be that the outstretched leg looks way longer than the bent one but. Who the fuck am I right? Good job, Better than what I could do.

I'm all about constructive criticism, and you're right about the leg being too long. At the time I painted it I was studying Vargas Pin-ups, he's a famous pin-up/nose art painter in the 1920's, but his style consisted of extending the legs much longer than in real life. I might of extended it too much?

I also love the hot rod style, I do have a hard time knowing when to stop striping :) I love simplicity

Attachments

• Vargas.png
    Vargas.png
    415.4 KB · Views: 276
Von Kirk 75 dt250 said:
Hey speedTrippin' can you give me some pointers? im tryin' to start doing this on my own. i've done a few but with paint markers and pens but nothing major yet. Thanks so much!

I’m still a novice pinstriper, and don’t do it for a living…yet ☺ but here is some information that I wish I had when I started:

Shopping List:

Mack 10 Series Brushes size 00 and a 1 http://www.coastairbrush.com/products.asp?cat=197

Mineral Oil to keep the brushes wet during storage

Staedtler Omnichrome Pencil in black and white, excellent marking pencil, do not get a Stabilo it will not come off some paint jobs.

HDPE 4 oz. Bottles, or size accordingly to the cans you buy, helps preserve, cleaner, and cuts down on paint being wasted. http://www.xcaliberart.com/new_cool.html

1shot paints, start with one 4oz can. http://www.dickblick.com/products/famous-1-shot-lettering-enamels/

Lint free rag

Mineral Spirits

Wide mouth jar, for mineral spirits and cleaning brushes while painting

Settling jars, any old jar with a lid, this is for after you’re done painting pour all the dirty mineral spirits from the wide mouth jar into another jar so that, over night the paint will settle to the bottom and you can reuse the clean mineral spirit on top.

A glossy magazine (you don't want the print ink to bleed into your paints) or phonebook paper, for a palette

A big piece of glass, this is what you’ll practice on, be sure to duct tape the sides and paint the back white so that you can see your lines. Some guys will tape print out of pinstriping to the back, and trace it.

Windex and plenty of paper towels

Ventilated room, and a respirator. These are toxic chemicals, so don’t be chewing your nails, eating and drinking. They took lead out of most of the paints, but you will come across a few cans that still have lead in them. And don’t be painting baby pacifiers!

Now the fun begins!

Dip your brush into mineral spirits first, to clean and prep the brush for paint. Dip into the paint, and palette on the glossy magazine, paletting is the most important part, palette until the brush just starts to grab, this is the consistency you want, if the paint is too wet it will run and your lines will not be consistent, especially when you do curves the brush won’t stick and stay on track. BUT you don’t want it too sticky then it won’t have a smooth edge at all. If it gets to sticky, either dip in mineral spirits to make it more lean, or clean the brush completely and add a fresh dab of paint to your palette. Be sure to clean your brush in mineral spirits in between 3-4 strokes. You don’t want paint gumming up in the bristles. When it comes to holding the brush, there is no right/wrong way, do what you’re comfortable with, but when you do a stroke move with your elbows/shoulders, not with your wrist. When you move onto vehicles make sure you clean off any waxes, and debri with a wax remove and windex.

Now practice till you hate it, that’s where a lot of people give up, and never get the chance to have their “aha!” moment, and there will always be new obstacles, like painting on curved surfaces, different climates, people doing a burn out right next you, using too much mineral spirits, painting designs and then running your fingers through it on the last line, that always sucks and makes you want to break shit. Right now I’m struggling with all the pollen.

Also, Youtube everything, go to car/motorcycle shows and watch stripers, talk to stripers most of them will tell you all kind of great info, and then of course you will run into one or two salty bastards. Join the pinhead lounge http://www.pinheadlounge.com and other forums, on forums you will usually run into everyone thinking every line you do is amazing, which sucks because that’s not helping you, it’s the constructive criticism that helps you, and if you put your ego aside and listen to it, you will become better.

I hope this helps! Can’t wait to see your work, and PM me with questions!

Back
Top Bottom