Salzburg '73 CB350 - Summer Riding Update

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: rear fender

mattfeet said:
Man, your bike is BEAUTIFUL. Outstanding work so far! What seat are you using?

http://www.gftpstore.com/Vintage-seat-VINBTA-VINBTA.htm

Yesterday I got a phone call that my powder coat was finished. Wohoo ;D

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: rear fender

Nice nice nice love the brass work ive just swapped out all my washers for brass ones they look cool against black paintwork keep up the quality work mate 8)

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: frame back from powder coat

I've seen a couple of people using those brass bushings now. Where did you come by them?

tybalt_214 said:
I've seen a couple of people using those brass bushings now. Where did you come by them?

ebay

I was going to buy them off someone here on the forum, but after contacting him I was told he couldn't match prices with Eastern Europe.

Did some painting last night. All parts were blasted with alum-oxide and then pre-treated with aviation PreKote. www.prekote.com
It's a non-chromated aluminum prep for superior paint adhesion. I gave it a try after my tests with Alodine created a slight gold color after baking the VHT paint. PreKote held up very well in all my testing. I have no clue how other people can just use spray paint on their engines and not get it to chip or peel off. In all my tests the untreated aluminum parts never held spray paint very well. Even roughened parts I could chip off paint.

VHT 995 cast aluminum paint

Untitled by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Gloss black epoxy

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: polishing more parts

We used the vht alum paint as well it seems to be holding up around the garage. We will find out in spring if it stays that way.

Rear sprocket by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

My rear sets and my new 35t sprocket are all polished. I'm starting to do a few of the last items. I've still got my Tarozzi clip ons to polish and a couple of pieces on the motor.

Nice work Matthias 8) looking cool its a good feeling when ya get to your last few bits i finished polishing my last few today :p ;D (well can't think of any bits left to do for now) haha. Keep up the good work and build thread mate ;)

Attachments

• 755.jpg
    755.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 954

My parts showed up from DCC.

Painting parts by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

Rebuilding cb450 forks

Painting engine cases & head

The cases, heads, etc., were all blasted, cleaned and then prepared with PreKote. I tested this product in addition to testing MetalPrep & Alodine. PreKote does not change the color of the paint and offers superior paint adhesion to aluminum. (Boeing uses it) Paint does not like sticking to bare aluminum. Those so called etching spray can primers suck. I then sprayed on a few layers of VHT 995 Nu-Case aluminum paint. I'll wait and then spray on VHT clear and then bake at 200 for an hour.

Nice paint work on the cases! Is Pre-coat something one kind easily find? I am getting closer to this same point with my engine rebuild.

Nice work matthias ;) turning these parts into a cool build 8) great feeling when the postie calls with packages got a list up in my workshop and love crossing of parts when they arrive everyone closer to the finish line haha ;D

I bought more than I needed. I might have enough left to prep another engine and could sell it.

Or you can buy it from Aircraft Spruce.

OK, I can buy it from the aircraft store or if you really want to pass what you have left on I can't imagine I would need alot. I am guessing a quart goes a long way? I have been concerned about prepping the metal correctly to paint.

I still need to order my 520 chain. Anyone know if the stock chain length (94 link) still applies to 520 chain?

http://www.amazon.com/RK-Racing-Chain-GB520MXZ4-94-Connecting/dp/B007A8M526/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360691529&sr=1-2&keywords=520+94+link+chain

http://www.amazon.com/Pitch-Standard-O-ring-TRX400-Sportrax/dp/B009PHXS26/ref=sr_1_10?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1360691529&sr=1-10&keywords=520+94+link+chain

One better than the other?

Back
Top Bottom