cb650 spoke rims

Ride509

Hey guys I have been doing some research and yes i have used the search button. i understand that cb650 had spoke wheels in the non custom models. i was blessed with an amazing 1980 cb650 custom with amazing comstar wheels... any way i am going to a gsxr front end and was looking at the cognito moto complete kit(BTW is 2g's worth it?) these come with spoked front rim. i would like the bike to match but I am also building this bike to handle and stop well (yes i know the geometry will be way off with gsxr forks) and would like it to have a rear disc. I am still pretty new to bikes and have been a car guy most of my life But this whole bike investment is still less then i could spend on a motor for my old camaro(really 10k into a motor isn't bad right?). So my overall question is, can i buy a hub that accepts a rear disc and get it laced up with a matching rim or maybe another option. or am i SOL and should just get a cb650 spoked rim with drum rear and go with that?(this is also the cheapest option)

there was ONE year a cb750 super sport had a disc brake 18" spoked rear wheel. the whole swingarm bolts right into the cb650 frame and retains shock location and everything. all you have to do is order a different tooth sprocket to correct the ratio for the cb650. I had one on my cb550

Thanks for the info ! Would there be a way to use the hub and a smaller wheel , with usd forks I am concerned about the geometry getting so far out of whack I can't correct it in some way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ride509 said:
Thanks for the info ! Would there be a way to use the hub and a smaller wheel , with usd forks I am concerned about the geometry getting so far out of whack I can't correct it in some way

are you asking about the rear hub; or using a cognito front hub with a smaller wheel? You can lace the hub to any 40-spoke rim you'd like....buchanans will drill a black rim the correct number of holes and correct angle, and make you custom spokes to lace anything together you want. You can even just send them the hub and let them do the rest, and they mail you back a complete wheel.

I was referring to the rear hub, the reasoning is the use forks will lower the front end dramatically. For looks this is great for a cb650c were you have longer front forks then normal but this also really messes with the trail and take and wheel base

the best way to correct the inverted front end is custom triple clamps to adjust the offset, instead of running the inverted forks' stock triple trees. You can measure your trail and wheelbase as stock and then again with the GSXR parts to calculate how much offset you would need to get the trail back in check. actually, I don't know who made them but I did see recently in someone's build thread that they bought corrected triple trees somewhere for their cb750 build with GSXR forks....so they do exist.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=142578.0

it was that thread....he has a pic of them but doesn't actually say where he got them. Might be worth a PM. He later mentions not liking the way it LOOKED with those clamps and instead bought the Cognito ones that don't adjust the offset (back to stock GSXR specs)

Cognito Moto does make adjustable triple sets for the GSXR forks..........

http://cognitomoto.com/collections/cognito-moto-originals/products/gsxr-adjustable-offset-triple-tree-conversion-45mm-50mm-55mm-60mm

Back
Top Bottom