Salzburg '73 CB350 - Summer Riding Update

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: engine rebuilt & mounted in frame

You are quite the polishing master Salzburg! wish i had the patience and time to get those results :p

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: engine in frame / tires mounted

Tarozzi clip ons - polished by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

I balanced my wheels yesterday. The front took a couple 1/4oz spoke weights and the rear took a few 1/2oz.

Today it took several hours to polish my Tarozzi clip ons. I had to sand down the casting marks and then sand the entire piece to get any sort of polish. Seemed odd. Like there was some sort of coating or anodized layer that was fairly thick.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: engine in frame / tires mounted / clip ons polished

re you fitting 550 forks?
The 350 never had dual disc capability but I see you have caliper mounts on both legs (and they are on 'backwards)

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: engine in frame / tires mounted / clip ons polished

Yes 450 forks, and yes I just noticed they are on wrong. :eek:

I fitted my 550 'backwards to reverse calipers behind fork legs, it changes the 'servo effect' and also moves the weight slightly more central.
Fork brace is slightly more difficult to set up but not a massive challenge

Oh, this really becomes a beauty...

Regards,

Mathias

Bike is really looking sweet. Could you post some more detailed pictures of your hoop, like a top view? I have searching the last couple days on here and yours is the first I have found with a hoop. I am wondering how to weld hoop onto my CL350. With the stamped frames just not sure how to mount a round bar hoop.

beautiful craftmanship...following along :)

cjrenick said:
I am wondering how to weld hoop onto my CL350. With the stamped frames just not sure how to mount a round bar hoop.

I don't think I'm the first person to do this. I cut slots in my hoop to fit over the stamped frame. I cut off the excess frame in the back, trimmed the stamped seams on the frame, seam welded back together, and then welded the hoop. I also made some thin bent taco gussets to clean up the transition from stamped frame to tubular hoop. Grind down the weld and sand smooth. I used a Harbor Freight tubing roller to bend the hoop. Most aftermarket hoops are for larger & wider frames (along with half circular cafe seat pans). My Glass-From-The-Past seat pan it a bit pointed at the back, so the hoop isn't a perfect circle, but more like a parabola.

MatthiasSalzburg said:
I don't think I'm the first person to do this. I cut slots in my hoop to fit over the stamped frame. I cut off the excess frame in the back, trimmed the stamped seams on the frame, seam welded back together, and then welded the hoop. I also made some thin bent taco gussets to clean up the transition from stamped frame to tubular hoop. Grind down the weld and sand smooth. I used a Harbor Freight tubing roller to bend the hoop. Most aftermarket hoops are for larger & wider frames (along with half circular cafe seat pans). My Glass-From-The-Past seat pan it a bit pointed at the back, so the hoop isn't a perfect circle, but more like a parabola.

Could you post up some photos of your use of the gussets from the frame to the hoop?

Thank you kind sir. Welds are looking good!

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: fabricating custom stainless exhaust

Starting on the stainless exhaust. 1-3/8" bends to a 1-1/2" collector (that I cut and fab from 15* bends), exiting to a 1-3/4" muffler.

Untitled by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

I'm also making my own stubs by stacking tubing together, welding the ends and grinding/belt sanding flush.

Untitled by Matthias Salzburg, on Flickr

I hope to sand and polish the exhaust so I don't have to get it chromed or ceramic coated for a nice look.

Re: Salzburg '73 CB350 - Update: fabricating custom stainless exhaust

looks good! mind you it's same tank and tail as i used so i guess i'm biased!

Back
Top Bottom