KZ200 Brat Tracker Build -- "Poor Man's Pine"

Re: KZ200 Brat Tracker Build

BJMtz said:
I like the one on the left. Are you painting the tank black?

Either black, metallic black, dark hammered silver, or something else in that range. Not sure yet. The engine will be entirely black as well.

Cracked open the engine last night. I have three good motors, and none of them are ready to run. This one has a good bottom end, and I'm taking the top end from a different motor. This will give me a chance to paint, check components, put in all new gaskets, and make sure the timing is correct.

I'm a bit disappointed to find out how expensive carb kits are for the KZ200. Since the PW26 is a relatively rare carb, I'm going to try using a brand new replacement carb from ebay. Here's a pic and a link to the carb. There are tons of parts, jets, and kits available for this carb since it is used on many different scooters/bikes, so I'm hoping it will be an economical replacement. Best of all, $28 with free shipping!

Bad news is that I wont be able to use the stock air box. This carb will fit the motor intake perfectly, but the intake port on the carb that connects to the air box is far bigger than the KZ's stock carb. Oh well, time to find a cool retro looking pod filter.

Link to carb: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carburetor-150cc-Scooter-Roketa-SUNL-Go-Kart-FREE-Filter-GY6-GY-6-Carb-150-PD24-/271173416121?pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3f2331f4b9&vxp=mtr

I'm from Viet Nam. I like your bike. Wait for your picture about tracker build ( I sorry because i can't speak much English )

du_hanh91 said:
I'm from Viet Nam. I like your bike. Wait for your picture about tracker build ( I sorry because i can't speak much English )

I want to travel to Vietnam so bad. Awesome country! I do believe that the KZ200 has a huge following over there right? Don't they call it a Binter Merzy?

Anyhow, glad you like my bike! And your English is much better than my complete inability to speak your language.

A small wire brush, some hot soapy water, and more elbow grease! This engine is going to be up and running very soon. I'm not yet sure if I'm gonna polish these further with steel wool, or just paint them entirely black. Decisions...decisions.

Covers came out good, i also like the way you made the seat using the stock pan.

Looks like its going to be a bumpy ride tho, i would know because my last bike had 1/2 an inch of foam and then leather to sit on. But as you said, its more than enough for around the town scooting :)

Smart idea with the spray-foam to level the seat out!
You sure that carb for 4-stroke?

Try VHT wrinklepaint on the engine. You won't be dissapointed ;)

Bert Jan said:
Smart idea with the spray-foam to level the seat out!
You sure that carb for 4-stroke?

Try VHT wrinklepaint on the engine. You won't be dissapointed ;)

The spray foam worked great, but I'm a little worried it might break down over time. I had the upholsterer attach my seat cover to the bottom of the pan with snaps in case I need to fix my foam eventually.

Great idea on the VHT wrinkle paint--gonna check out colors tomorrow!

Yes, it's used for 150cc-200cc scooters and Asian quads--all 4 strokes. I figure the new carb is $12 cheaper than a rebuild kit for my old carb, so why not give it a try and possibly save myself the hassle of rebuilding and cleaning an old carb.

Yamaki said:
Covers came out good, i also like the way you made the seat using the stock pan.

Looks like its going to be a bumpy ride tho, i would know because my last bike had 1/2 an inch of foam and then leather to sit on. But as you said, its more than enough for around the town scooting :)

The upholsterer is adding another 1/2" of foam between each of the stitched pleats so that they are more exaggerated--so those should help. And, the spray foam added a lot more cushion than I expected as well. So hopefully it will be comfortable. If not, I may replace the spray foam with more comfortable padding.

Seat is finished! When the rest of the bike is blacked out, this is going to offset the black nicely.

Here's the seat when I picked it up from the shop:

Here it is when I got it home and put it on my bike. I really like how the stock pan goes up in the back almost giving it a slight street fighter look. The thickness is perfect. Thick and comfortable enough that it will be great to ride around on, but about half as thick as the stock seat.

Oil Cooker Designs said:
That seat is amazing!!!!

Thanks! I like that he added 1/2" of padding between every ripple. It really helped exaggerate the depth of the ripples, and added more padding without making the seat too tall.

The best part is that I didn't spend more than a day on the seat modification. :)

Yep--that bend in the back is stock. I did nothing to the seat pan besides the spray foam. We are lucking in that the stock KZ200 pan is great for a tracker/street fighter looking seat. I honestly didn't think it would look that good. I'm excited to see how it looks once I attach the brake light/license plate holder. I'm hoping to angle the license plate so that it gives the appearance of a rear fender.

I've also decided to add a slightly taller shock to the rear of the bike. I have a great used bike shop near my house with all sorts of used parts lying around, so I should have pics tomorrow. I'm hoping to raise the back end 1-2" and lower the front 1" to change the way the bike sits. I want more of a levelled look--similar to a motard/dual sport--and right now with the stock height the front end sits a little too high for my taste.

Im interested in seeing what you do with the license/light combo. And ya that seat pan is a sweet gift from kawasaki. I agree with the larger shocks, 1-2" will get that stance, I just stared looking at beefier tires with an on/off road tread.

Oh Ya, What are you going to do with the foot pegs and controls? I have left the main pegs off and the bag pegs fit nicely, I think I might design my own foot controls, Have you figured anything out yet or going to use the factory ones?

Oil Cooker Designs said:
That white material on the right, whats it called/where would I go to get some just like that?

It's a fake leather/vinyl. I didn't use real leather on my seat because it would've cost twice as much. The guy at the shop had it lying around, but he said if I didn't like the color that I could go to Joann Fabrics or some other local craft/fabric store to find other colors and patterns. Had I bought the material myself, and not opted for hidden/removable snaps under the seat, I could've had the seat recovered for less than $75.

The material in the right in the photo is actually a taupe/greyish color. I ended up going with the tan/saddle color because I thought it would stand out more against the black bike.

Back
Top Bottom