Re: Rachels Can-Am 600, Movin’ on up...

Re: 78 CB400A for Rachel

cxman said:
leave it its a nice survivor

Thanks bud...
Every gasket is leaking oil. Polish up engine covers and alum bits.
Mostly just want to hit the nasty frame. the battery must have froze and cracked at some point and the frame, swing and box is rust.
Replace some chrome cause theres no no chrome left to clean up. Handlebars, turn signals & stems.
It has black paint specs splattered across half the tank. If I can remove them without getting into paint I would like to save the orange.
And she is going to get the lower slung later style cm seat. (Rach likes them...Im not the biggest fan, I like this seat better).

But thats it. Not gonna make any real mods.

You may need frame mods to fit the newer seat. I liked the one you have and tried one on my newer CM and none of the latches or rubber lined up. I would have had to mod a bunch of it so I just cut down the foam and recovered the CM seat to flatten it out.

Maritime said:
You may need frame mods to fit the newer seat. I liked the one you have and tried one on my newer CM and none of the latches or rubber lined up. I would have had to mod a bunch of it so I just cut down the foam and recovered the CM seat to flatten it out.

I gave it the 30 second eyeball comparison when I pulled it out of the box. The latches are a smidge narrower on the newer seat. But I will do my best to fit the thing properly. Or Close enough to properly. ;)

if you are concerned about that float overflow tube
put a piece of heat shrink on it

cxman said:
if you are concerned about that float overflow tube
put a piece of heat shrink on it

WOW! have you tried this method? How long did it last for you?
And yes getting an occasional drop on garage floor. However (just looked again) not a single drop since riding yesterday. :)

Make sure you use a lighter to shrink the heat shrink. It's the only legit method.

i did it as a emergency repair to get a guys bike going till he could get one

4 years later he told me he was still running it lol

cxman said:
i did it as a emergency repair to get a guys bike going till he could get one

4 years later he told me he was still running it lol

Again WOW. LOL. Good to know info. Thanks!

trek97 said:
I gave it the 30 second eyeball comparison when I pulled it out of the box. The latches are a smidge narrower on the newer seat. But I will do my best to fit the thing properly. Or Close enough to properly. ;)

Maybe going the other way will be easier, I was trying old on newer and maybe the other way will need less modding if any.

trek97 said:
Again WOW. LOL. Good to know info. Thanks!

Look for one rated as chemical resistant and you should be golden. There are different kinds of shrink tube.

Maritime said:
Look for one rated as chemical resistant and you should be golden. There are different kinds of shrink tube.

first search produced this...
Viton has a superior resistance to highly corrosive fluids, fuels, lubricants, acids and aggressive solvents at low and elevated temperatures up to 200°C. It also provides protection from abrasion, impacts, cut-throughs. It is very flexible at high and low temperatures.

https://www.wirecare.com/category/heatshrink-tubing/flame-retardant/2-1-viton-advanced-engineering/h2v0.13bk-2-1-viton-heatshrink-1-8-black-3-ft-cuts

Or, you can spend $1 for a brass tube that doesn't have a crack in it and replace the bad one. All this effort.

irk miller said:
Or, you can spend $1 for a brass tube that doesn't have a crack in it and replace the bad one. All this effort.

The one I fixed w brass tube leaked worse than the crack.

irk miller said:

Ok maybe not worse...but leaked none the less.

Back
Top Bottom