NEVERWAS-Yamaha Reality Perforator

Re: Yamaha XS800

Well, I finally got round to doing something on bike.
No pics yet, probably not until its back together?
Took way longer than it should because I still cant hold stuff tight in left hand so had to finagle things in bench vice which takes time
Cut and fitted drive chain
I didn't know what length to get with Suzuki swing arm so I bought 130 links, 12 too many, better than too short though ::)
I used it to line a few things up and removed it again.
Wheel/sprocket lines up perfect
Mudguard needed some cutting for clearance
Had to 'make' some bolts for stand pivot, 12x1.5mm, problem as, the lock-nuts I bought were 12x1.25 so, I just ran a tap through them
The pieces of plate I cut up almost 2 months ago are now welded onto swing arm.
I'm making an idler to lift chain slightly which will make it parallel to swing arm on top run
Amazing how quick you 'forget' how to weld when you haven't done it for a few months, last few welds were noticeably better than first few.
It's now sitting on the floor with no rear end.
Hopefully tomorrow I'm going to do some more beating and welding (on rear mudguard and tail light)
shoulder/elbow/arm is hurting a bit (a lot really, but, I got some good painkillers so should sleep OK)

Man PJ. Sorry to hear how bad your still banged up. Even small progress is still progress though. Bike looks pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.

VonYinzer said:
Man PJ. Sorry to hear how bad your still banged up. Even small progress is still progress though. Bike looks pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
+1
Really sucks about the shoulder/elbow/arm. Hard to do anything with out those let alone having to deal with pain. Hope things get better soon for you!
I hear ya on getting out of welding practice. If I've not done it in awhile I look for some scrap. It usually comes back after a couple of passes though.

I'm digging the on board navigation system

I'm sure ti's noted somewhere but I can't find the reference.....
what Zuk did you source your mile long swing arm from?

GSX600F (Early Katana)
750 is about 1.5" longer.
GS500 is easier swap and about 1.5" shorter
Swing arm now has various tabs for brake torque arm, rear stand, etc.
Mudguard got some beating and welding and cutting and more welding then more beating so it clears tyre slightly better, now has a nice clearance of about three eighths of inch which will increase as tyre wears a bit.
Sprayed side of swing arm green, not sure if I like it so may go either dark green, blue or maroon with cream or beige accents,/tank panels.
Thinking of cutting off rear section ( I already did once then welded it back on ::)) and fitting a 'tractor' style seat?
This is how it looks today
XS800Feb2010.jpg

and this is what I came home to, 18 ft deep hole the other side of excavator directly in line with my driveway (that pile of dirt is about 40 ft long, or however wide the vacant lot next door is less 10~12 ft for excavator)
Road.jpg

Drive.jpg

BTW, How do I change Subject title? everyone else is doing it

PJ

Re: NEVERWAS Ya-Ma-Ha

Thanks Ronin, that as easy as pie
I'm going to make Ya-M-Ha tank transfers plus, a few other ideas have come to me.
A

if this was by my house... it was warm. and beer was flowing.... i would be willing to bet my life that one of my buddies would pull a "hold my beer, guys let me get on my bike, and watch this"

Road.jpg

where'd you score that sweet light? i've had basically no luck coming up with anything affordable in less than 6.5" here in australia.

sebatron said:
where'd you score that sweet light? i've had basically no luck coming up with anything affordable in less than 6.5" here in australia.

It's half of one of these
http://www.mandp.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=500393.
I'm really surprised the price hasn't gone up in 5+ yrs
Now I got title change on the Yam, I did the same for the CB378, 667-Neighbor of the Beast ;D

PJ

crazypj said:
GSX600F (Early Katana)
750 is about 1.5" longer.
GS500 is easier swap and about 1.5" shorter
Swing arm now has various tabs for brake torque arm, rear stand, etc.
Mudguard got some beating and welding and cutting and more welding then more beating so it clears tyre slightly better, now has a nice clearance of about three eighths of inch which will increase as tyre wears a bit.
Sprayed side of swing arm green, not sure if I like it so may go either dark green, blue or maroon with cream or beige accents,/tank panels.
Thinking of cutting off rear section ( I already did once then welded it back on ::)) and fitting a 'tractor' style seat?
This is how it looks today
XS800Feb2010.jpg

and this is what I came home to, 18 ft deep hole the other side of excavator directly in line with my driveway (that pile of dirt is about 40 ft long, or however wide the vacant lot next door is less 10~12 ft for excavator)
Road.jpg

Drive.jpg

BTW, How do I change Subject title? everyone else is doing it

PJ
Sweet jump you got there. I've hit bigger. Nice bike. I'm really interested in the engine. Sounds cool. Keep it up

crazypj said:
closed
Brasscompass1.jpg

open
Brasscompass2.jpg

DAMN.. I love that compass!!... Screw GPS when you can have that in-dash baby... ;D
Im such a big fan of antique tools and gadgets.. especally if they can be modded to be functional on a bike!!..
I just bought this that Im going to turn into a rear tail/brake light...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290403644639&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Attachments

• !BlpcHywBWk~$(KGrHqYH-DgEttbk28UTBLcfMu!6N!~~_12.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 515

Bicycle light! Cool....
I saw a bicycle headlight once that looked like a 30's stylized rocket...think old school Flash Gordon.
That's what you need now!

I like that idea of a tractor style seat with this crazy long train of a swingarm following you along. I just like that mudguard. I think your compass will fit the bill on this bike.

jay

Haven't updated as I haven't done much, but, I am still doing stuff.
Got a bit stuck on chain idler wheel so had to get 12 tooth sprocket and will have to cut and re-weld some bits.
Put footrests on and decided, single saddle will look better but, will probably need forward controls (so it's probably not going to happen-maybe ;))
Bought some more parts, only thing noteworthy is a cast alloy 'pedestrian slicer' front number plate.
I may not use it as it's smaller than I expected?
I have front plate off my first bike for comparison (minimum legal size in Britain in 1974)
Here they are together, just realised I should have put something in pic for 'scale'
Top one is about eleven and a half inches by two and a quarter inches, lower, about nine and a half inches long
Frontplates.jpg

damn! i cant believe i missed this one for this long!

very cool....

i laughed so hard at your post of it being "very soft sugar sand"

shows that the thought of jumping it came to mind. haha :D

Havent actually done anything for a while, been busy with various other things. (CB360's, machining, house, etc)
I have been 'planning' though.
Decided I don't like the Sportster tank so I'm going to make one.
Decided to change taillight for something more esoteric, I'll be cutting off all the welding I did for mounting bracket ;D
Probably end up making a headlight as well, if I can find something to modify (friend sent me some pics of 1920's classic cars)

Back
Top Bottom