Why not one more. Snowmobile engine board track "replica"

Hurco550 said:
you may just decide that good brakes aren't important someday, and keep it for then ;)

I know disk would be better, but I'm thinking the big 2LS titan drum will stop a 200lb motorcycle that makes 17 h.p. just fine.

That's way too much brake for this bike.... I'd be looking at a nice small CB175 brake (or similar) with decent linings to get closer to the No Brakes look but still being safe to ride.

teazer said:
That's way too much brake for this bike.... I'd be looking at a nice small CB175 brake (or similar) with decent linings to get closer to the No Brakes look but still being safe to ride.

I have been going back and forth on the same thing. The titan front drum/ r5 rear drum came about for 2 reasons. 1 reason is that I have them and 2 is that I know that I can lace them with off the shelf parts. The spoke circle on an r5/rd350 rear hub is identical to the spoke circle of the titan front hub. So.. you can lace an 18 to a titan drum with stock rear rd350/xs650 rear spokes, and or you can lace a 19 to an rd350 rear hub with stock titan front spokes.

That said, I do think I have a set of kawi ke100 wheels laying around.. I may be able to lace 19's to those as they have tiny brake drums, im just afrail that they are TOO TINY

Hurco550 said:
That said, I do think I have a set of kawi ke100 wheels laying around.. I may be able to lace 19's to those as they have tiny brake drums, im just afrail that they are TOO TINY
Guess who's stopping a CB750 chopper with DR350 brakes? LOL

Re: Why not one more. Snowmobile engine board track "replica"

irk miller said:
Guess who's stopping a CB750 chopper with DR350 brakes? LOL
Well, when your right your right. I'm also now seriously thinking that if I'm going yo change up wheel hub combos, I might as well 21"s front and back to get closer to the right board track look

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Hurco550 said:
Well, when your right your right. I'm also now seriously thinking that if I'm going yo change up wheel hub combos, I might as well 21"s front and back to get closer to the right board track look

21's would be sweet.

Hurco550 said:

There you go. Can you have a pedal start? I guess no clutch and push/bump would be just as good.

Well as it were, I have a pair of 23 in xl500s front wheels heading this way for the project. It needed to be done. They will be a much more proper look for a board track replica than wide 18's or 19's. They are a bit tough to find rubber for, but im guessing that even if I have to pay a bit of a premium for tires, ill likely never wear them out.
e5d53d0cbb834c23044f8ed2519009fd.jpg

pidjones said:
There you go. Can you have a pedal start? I guess no clutch and push/bump would be just as good.
Nope, it'll have a cvt clutch setup, so power can only be transferred from the engine to the wheels, but not in reverse.

I have always wanted to build something with a CVT hooked to a 3 speed box. Just for a laugh.

Brodie said:
I have always wanted to build something with a CVT hooked to a 3 speed box. Just for a laugh.
I've always kinda thought that a cvt in front of a transmission could be a descent way to set up a land speed record type bike.

You should go for it.

Brodie said:
You should go for it.

Maritime said:

not on this one. Im trying hard to keep this one simple. Engine, CVT, Jackshaft, chain. That's it for power transmission. Simple, light and easy.

I have had to talk myself out of just running rigid forks on this one, bit I feel that if I ever want to actually ride it, that may be taking it to far

Hurco550 said:
I have had to talk myself out of just running rigid forks on this one, bit I feel that if I ever want to actually ride it, that may be taking it to far

Yeah, especially since you have decided on those 23" wheels, they'll look good and will be appropriate but there won't be a whole lot of tire to help absorb the rough patches. Some kind of springer in the front will look right and help make it ride-able. Interesting change of plans happening here but I like the board tracker replica idea; sounds like fun.

I had to tweak the design quite a bit, bit I think the 23's will look much more proper on a board track replica.
14652a52fddd6bbb98b551342adf0a0a.jpg

Get this finished for Mid-O next year, I want to ride it. No shifting so gimp foot is a non-issue ;D

Maritime said:
Get this finished for Mid-O next year, I want to ride it. No shifting so gimp foot is a non-issue ;D
I plan to, BUT I also have a feeling that 100% of my plans in life are about to change Monday night lol

Back
Top Bottom