Cl100 6V to 12V

arcticcat340

Let me start out with I am NOT a master electrician by any means, I would not even say I'm a decent electrician when it comes to bikes. I do know my Cl100 is a 6V bike and I am looking to convert to 12V. When the bike is running with battery disconnected I have read up to 17V across the harness and when the 6V battery is connected I have read up to 9V. This is about as far as I have made it in this journey. I do know I will need 12V lights and two 1 ohm resistors in parallel for the coil. So here I am now asking you all for guidance. The more dumbed down your explanation is will probably be better.

Thanks!

Rather than use a resistor, I would replace the ignition coil with a 12V version as well. 5Ω should do the trick.

Other than that, you'll need to replace all of the components that draw a load: lights, horn, battery, flasher, etc.

Switches and wires should still be OK.

The heart of the replacement will be a new voltage regulator, though your bike probably didn't come with one from the factory. We have the one you need on our website for $35.

Here is a doc with a ton of info on the conversion, there are a few ways to do it, I followed this guide except instead of rewiring my stator like they talk about I just bought one from a CB350. They are direct swap into the 100 motor. Ive never just swapped out a voltage regulator, but if Sonreir says its legit I would trust him.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OL5rqaEWDlkrUnCW1IFfwykA0ZPIjJsJwPOioaw6oJ_bXDaCeLCn5hgdeE2R

Are you using the battery as mentioned in the link you shared and also if you are do you have is on its side? Has it caused any problems and how long has it been that way? Or did you take a different attempt at the battery?

arcticcat340 said:
Are you using the battery as mentioned in the link you shared and also if you are do you have is on its side? Has it caused any problems and how long has it been that way? Or did you take a different attempt at the battery?

I used a small nonspill type battery, and I had it laying sideways under my seat (it was a cafe style bike). There isn't a starter on these bikes so you dont need much. For the reg/rec I used one from Oregon Electric. If I remember right the CB350 Stator has three yellow wires, and if so they are about the only game in town. I just has a conversation with Soneire about that a few days ago.

JSJamboree said:
I used a small nonspill type battery, and I had it laying sideways under my seat (it was a cafe style bike). There isn't a starter on these bikes so you dont need much. For the reg/rec I used one from Oregon Electric. If I remember right the CB350 Stator has three yellow wires, and if so they are about the only game in town. I just has a conversation with Soneire about that a few days ago.

It's the SOHC fours that use the three phase electromagnetic alternators. All of the twins up until 1978, and most of the singles, use a single phase permanent magnet alternator.

Sonreir™ said:
It's the SOHC fours that use the three phase electromagnetic alternators. All of the twins up until 1978, and most of the singles, use a single phase permanent magnet alternator.

If thats the case, then grab the reg/rec from Sonreir and save yourself a few bucks. Or just get his 6v -> 12v converter which would be cheeper overall.

Back
Top Bottom