Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

Re: Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

VonYinzer said:
Bucyrus, which became DBT, and is now owned by Cat...
Bucyrus bought out Marion power shovel back in the day. MPS built the crawler tracks for NASA's shuttle transporter, that was still in use up until a few years back when they stopped hurling stuff into space. Had a few family members that worked on the project.
7a5d391d8e9732f932663a83123a7406.jpg

6ddfc64a5585941391841c8fc407b915.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack man

hurco550 said:
Bucyrus bought out Marion power shovel back in the day. MPS built the crawler tracks for NASA's shuttle transporter, that was still in use up until a few years back when they stopped hurling stuff into space. Had a few family members that worked on the project.
7a5d391d8e9732f932663a83123a7406.jpg

6ddfc64a5585941391841c8fc407b915.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack man

Yeah, there was a competition between Ohio Locomotive Crane (Bucyrus) and Marion Power Shovel for the design and build of that crawler. The design accepted was done in Bucyrus by OLC but somehow ended up being built by MPS, not sure if they under-bid or what. Guess there was a REALLY big stink made about that whole deal.

Sorry... and now enough history lesson and back to our regularly scheduled two stroke mongrel.

Back to the thread.

I has one of these ex500 rads, nice shape maybe 8in X 10in I can check with fan option :eek: I also have the thermostat housing lol

s-l1600.jpg

Tune-A-Fish© said:
Back to the thread.

I has one of these ex500 rads, nice shape maybe 8in X 10in I can check with fan option :eek: I also have the thermostat housing lol

s-l1600.jpg
If that is 8x10 that would work perfectly. Anything narrower than 12in will help give e me more clearance on the forks for turning. 8 or less will keep it further away from the exhaust on the bottom. I'd probably have to run it without the fan though

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Well

1b7b2fd9d4c6fa471241b66739a194eb.jpg

fe4cb1c268774cb7cdcfc325134b44e3.jpg

Second time in a week I tried offering this thing up

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Looks like SV650 components strike again. 1st gen rad unit is a little wider than I would like, but the height is just right. I think I can work with the width a little but the heights are non negotiable for exhaust clearance.

Tank position not final, obviously wouldn't be able to get gas out of it at that angle. Shock is going to be shortened to help level out, and probably wind up building a new pipe, but it is starting to look a bit like a bike now.

Thanks, I think so too. Once I get a radiator mounted and shorten that rear shock, it is going to really come together. Then I get to worry/wonder if I am going to build a new pipe for this beast or not. I'm really warming up to the idea of an under frame mounted one.

My radiator showed up last night. Came with a fan even for less than 50 bucks with free shipping.

I gotta tell you guys, having built and worked on three wheelers for so long where the parts are all atleast 30 years old, crusty, and effing expensive compared to the plentiful variety of cheap bike parts, it's really really nice. I've been able to procure stuff for this build so economical compared to other stuff I've done in the past, it's great.

4e27471289805540e47ff84162db5a56.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ha. I said the same thing when I started building bikes after years of building Mopars. My Roadrunner sits dormant for this very reason. It'll take thousands to finish that car, where you can build a sweet custom motorcycle for $1k.

irk miller said:
Ha. I said the same thing when I started building bikes after years of building Mopars. My Roadrunner sits dormant for this very reason. It'll take thousands to finish that car, where you can build a sweet custom motorcycle for $1k.

How are you building bikes for 1k? I can't even do wheels for that!

jag767 said:

LOL, that's what I was thinking! My tube chassis 540 Nova took more dollars in tubing than my whole sweet CB450 build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jag767 said:
First off, I don't spend $1k for wheels. I'm not saying that includes the price of the bike. I'm putting $1k into them. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I do all of my metal work, fiberglass and paint. I machine a lot of my parts myself. I rarely buy parts new, except seals. I make my own gaskets whenever I can. I don't always strip down a perfectly good running motor that just needs cleaned up or needs basic maintenance. I don't build show bikes. I build bikes to get dirty and have fun with.

irk miller said:
First off, I don't spend $1k for wheels. I'm not saying that includes the price of the bike. I'm putting $1k into them. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I do all of my metal work, fiberglass and paint. I machine a lot of my parts myself. I rarely buy parts new, except seals. I make my own gaskets whenever I can. I don't always strip down a perfectly good running motor that just needs cleaned up or needs basic maintenance. I don't build show bikes. I build bikes to get dirty and have fun with.

I don't spend 1k on wheels either, it's closer to 2! Well, including custom hubs and tires. Not to derail the thread, I average 10k on a bike in general, so 1k blows my mind, but hey good for u!

Back
Top Bottom