My cafe racer... ish....

Druro

Noel... stay outta my profile... wanker.
Project 2... which started before my previous thread.

Here goes:

I bought a 1973 CB350f back about 3 years ago, completely apart (truly... most of the parts were in milk crates). So after much cataloging, I finally got it together enough to see what I got, which was this:

IM000088.jpg

So, starting off, working on the motor assembly, and exploring paint options. I finally settled on a Gloss Black with Red Frame and having some silver highlights.

DSCF0245.jpg

I also added some "fun" to the front fender... you can see what I mean.

Picture004.jpg

Anyhow, now that the GS is nearing completion, I can get back to the CB. Hopefully it will be good to go for the spring, so I can bring her out for the meets.

I've also added a CB400F rear seat which was recovered nicely, and I have the rear sets from the same. Working on lacing the rims right now, so hopefully she's a roller in a week or two.

CanadaDan said:
Pretty sweet! 8)

Thanks man. She will look good i think once the wheels are re-laced (black spokes and hubs). It should have this "floating red rim" look ;D

Yeah.. Ive seen this baby in person and its gonna look amazing... Keep posting up pics of the progress

N

Wow! This bike looks great! I've been thinking of doing mine in black with blue frame and wheels, and am working on a cafe seat.

I bought a cheap spray gun, and am looking at some nice low-budget Rustoleums. ;D

What did you use to paint with? Or is it powdercoated.

Really, looks amazing.

CBHandle said:
Wow! This bike looks great! I've been thinking of doing mine in black with blue frame and wheels, and am working on a cafe seat.

I bought a cheap spray gun, and am looking at some nice low-budget Rustoleums. ;D

What did you use to paint with? Or is it powdercoated.

Really, looks amazing.

It's kinda embarrassing... but anyway. The tank, side panels and frame were painted in CrappyTire Paints... "Near Match Black" and "Cherry Red Metallic". The rims were powdercoated red, using a burgundy base with clear topcoat. The color of the frame is beautiful, but It's not nearly as hard as powdercoat but to get it done in a powdercoat would be huge coin.

powder isn't too bad. I paid $225 for my frame, two swingarms and about 20 other small bits in gloss black. How much extra did they want on top of your rims?

Crappy Tire near match paint isnt too bad. I painted a few things on my old car and really didnt take care of it and it was actually the best looking part of the paint job after the 3 years I had it. If I don't get my bodyshop buddy to paint the new project, I'll be using the near match paint. Just prep it right and use a few lighter coats. Put the clear over it and you're golden. Nowhere near as hard as body shop 2 stage, but still decent. My 650 has Tremclad black with the Tremclad clearcoat. Still looks as good as the day I painted it a year ago. I'd love to go powdercoat too, but I don't have the funds to shell out that much money just to coat a frame and a few parts.

Rudy

Well, after much pain and anguish, I have finally gotten my rims and spokes powdercoated, and assembled. I still need to true the rims... but at this point i'm pretty chuffed at the results.

DSCF0255.jpg

(bit of a crap photo)

DSCF0251.jpg

Looking pretty nice. When I spin the wheel, the spokes basically vanish, only leaving the red rims. If i'm luck, I'll have it on it's new rubber by the end of the week (an perhaps out of the living room.

Any suggestions for tires?

Man Druro that is sick!!! I love coloured rims and spokes. They have a way of setting the bike off, and IMO sometimes moreso than the tank and seat. Very nice work man!!

Lots of good choices for tires - I've run Pirelli Sport Demons, Michelin Macadam (on the BMW now) and have ordered Avon Roadriders for my XS650 project. The Avon's ran me $192 taxes-included and then I'm paying $42 for installation (taxes in again) at Snow City Cycle on Kennedy. So $234 for the pair installed - not too bad. Tubes/rim strips are extra - probably another $40.

WOW.. I like the idea of the spokes disappear any only the rim shows!!!..
Im hand painting, one by one, the spokes on my cb750 black...(hey, its a rat-bike, after all)...

I'm hoping so! I got the call that mine are in, along with the tubes. Just need my bloody spokes to arrive and then get the wheels laced up.

Freakin Ride...........good job!won't be hard to see at night!!!!!!!!!

Well, considering i'll be moving in the next month or two, i'll need it on rubber soon enough. Then we can see what she looks like outside ;D

Tintin, what size were those Avon's you got?

Ok, so i've been working on the bike. Basically, I've got the wheels trued up and moving on to other stuff. I've mounted the carbs and starting working on various other bits.

One thing that was bugging me were my pipes. They came in a chrome that was all pitted and scratched (basically REALLY ugly). So i painted them black. Looks far better.

Before
DSCF0261.jpg

After
DSCF0262.jpg

DSCF0264.jpg

Other news is she should be rolling from the living room to the garage in a couple days. Got tires on order and will get them mounted shortly :) Can't wait to see it outside.

mmmm such attention to detail.

I dont know many guys that would paint their jack stand to match their bike. ;D

Good work!

Fear My Twin said:
mmmm such attention to detail.

I dont know many guys that would paint their jack stand to match their bike. ;D

Good work!

Not paint... Powdercoat ;)

Just wanted to say I really love your bike. My bike is totally torn apart and ready for paint. I keep thinking all black (gloss, satin, or both), and then everytime I open this thread, I think I should paint the frame and wheels blue like I've been toying with.

Your bike certainly makes a nice case for it.

Back
Top Bottom