My latest project, the Katana!

Hi, the battery is
5 3/4" long
3 7/8" wide
5" tall.

Its a 10AH, but I can't remember the CCA. Its a copy of the Yuasa battery used in the R-1.

I cut the aluminum with an angle grinder and a sawzall. Then use my belt sander and a big ol' bastard file to smooth it out.

I have a 750 in my garage in slightly better condition.... with the pop up headlight... that thing is hillarious (mine I mean).
Are these bikes that collectable? I've just been trying to get the rear brake lever to budge... got it to move but I can't get the shaft out withoug dissasembling the rear end and I don't feel like it here lately (hits off the swingarm), Haven't really put much thought into it though.

Ease said:
I have a 750 in my garage in slightly better condition.... with the pop up headlight... that thing is hillarious (mine I mean).
Are these bikes that collectable? I've just been trying to get the rear brake lever to budge... got it to move but I can't get the shaft out withoug dissasembling the rear end and I don't feel like it here lately (hits off the swingarm), Haven't really put much thought into it though.

Yeah, they are pretty collectible. Yours is called a "Pop-up" Katana. The rear brake lever on mine wouldn't budge either, but PB blaster freed it right up after letting it soak for a few days.

Nice, I love that look.
When I was 19 (in 1985), I bought a 1980 Katana 750.
That bike had a look ahead of it's time, all the chic's dug it...good times.
Good plan changing the rims, the bike definetly needed it.
IMHO, cosmatically I'd keep it close to stock.
Good score for $200.
Looking forward to seeing your progress.
Bruce

I LOVE the original Kat's too. The only new bike I ever bought was a 1982 GS550MZ Katana. I picked it from a dealer in '84, still in the crate. $1699 out the door! Rode it for 5 years, 3 of them in Germany and sold it for $900 to help buy our 1st house. Not the fastest, lightest or best handling bike, but what a look. Always dreamed (Ok, still do) of getting a 1000(1st year) Kat. Keep the pics coming.

Back
Top Bottom