"the Mooch"

J-Rod10 said:
It's getting wild out there.

Guy is Asian to boot.
7fe08081821f8cf66d820c7b0774fb4d.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Heard this on the morning radio talk shows today. This is honestly one of the stupidest reactions to this situation yet. Absolutely absurd, and everyone involved is being ridiculous.

This is hilarious, I'm sure Doo-doo head is exploding. Just the type of deconstructionism he wanted...

VonYinzer said:
Heard this on the morning radio talk shows today. This is honestly one of the stupidest reactions to this situation yet. Absolutely absurd, and everyone involved is being ridiculous.

I'll agree, that goes full retard...well maybe the Chinese are planning to bring back the South? I have to take a few more shots of Captain Morgan to buy it though.

Scooter trash said:
I'll agree, that goes full retard...well maybe the Chinese are planning to bring back the South? I have to take a few more shots of Captain Morgan to buy it though.

So I'm reading that this wasn't an ESPN decision, but a personal one made by Lee himself.

VonYinzer said:
So I'm reading that this wasn't an ESPN decision, but a personal one made by Lee himself.
Wouldn't be surprised. The media is always out to start shit.

Where did you see that at? Still seeing multiple talking about ESPN pulling the trigger. None to the contrary.

ESPN has released a statement explaining their decision to pull him. They seem to have done it.

While I also think it's kind of silly, both ESPN and Robert Lee made the decision together (according to the NYT) and over concerns of safety. Perhaps there was a threat that we don't know about. Perhaps there was no risk whatsoever. But in the grand scheme of things it's not a really big deal, he's going to simply call a game somewhere else. Mountain out of a molehill, really. Or, as some in the media would have you believe, "political correctness run amok!" You decide for yourself.

99% of the time a "mutual agreement" occurs between an employer and employee, it's a you're going to do this if you want to remain employed here.

I mean, when this broke a few days ago, and ESPN was catching shit from every direction, why didn't he come out and say "this was my choice" then?

Just a way to try to save face, IMO.

Was chatting with a guy night before last that was big on ESPN until they fired him. Says it is hardcore left leaning.

J-Rod10 said:
99% of the time a "mutual agreement" occurs between an employer and employee, it's a you're going to do this if you want to remain employed here.

I mean, when this broke a few days ago, and ESPN was catching shit from every direction, why didn't he come out and say "this was my choice" then?

Just a way to try to save face, IMO.

Was chatting with a guy night before last that was big on ESPN until they fired him. Says it is hardcore left leaning.

Meh, maybe. But again in the grand scheme of things it's not really a big thing. It's the overreaction that's funny to me, and evident in the fact that we're even discussing it days later.

As to ESPN being left leaning, I'll admit I'm not a big sports watching guy, I like doing things, not watching things. But I'll watch the stupid bowl, the World Series, and some NBA games. The people at ESPN might be left leaning, but calling their coverage left leaning is a whole 'nother thing. Is it because Michael Sam kissed his boyfriend on TV? That seems to be when the whole ESPN-is-a-liberal-bastion shit took off. Jason Collins? Colin Kapernick? Caitlyn Jenner? As the American right surges ever onward to the right, I constantly hear criticism of this or that as being liberal (like Arizona State University's campus -- shit, those people should see the UW, Berkeley, etc. -- ASU is pretty conservative but like many things simply not conservative enough for some). Sam, Collins, Kaepernick, Jenner -- they're news. The fact that they are covered will rile people on the right as giving a voice to "deviants" or endorsing a "deviant lifestyle choice," as many of them see LGBTQ folks. Fuck 'em.

But I'm curious how their shows decry their liberal bias. How does calling a B-ball game show liberal bias? How do sports talk shows show liberal bias? I'm not saying they do or don't, I'm asking. What's the actual content that shows liberal bias, and who judges it to be liberal, other than your friend? Again, just curious.

ESPN has lost over 10M subscribers over the last few years, many stating their liberal bias as the reason they left.

Hell, ESPN did their own research poll a few months ago to quash that myth, came back that 63% of the people that felt they were biased, felt they were biased to the left. In their press release on it, they only mentioned the 30% that said they were conservative, and when asked why the 63% wasn't mentioned, they said they wanted to keep the press release short.

I think the majority of people that feel the way they do, feel that way due to Stephen A. Smith. He constantly harps on black this, black that, if he were white, he'd get this and that. They keep him on constantly.

Then, there is the whole Jessica Mendoza debacle. I don't comment on that one, except in the company of a select group of people.

That said, I don't watch a ton of sports on tv. If I want to see a game, I go to it.

Everything has become politicized. You can't sit down and watch Sports Center, or anything really, without catching political undertones. Just the world we live in, I suppose.

That said, I'm not particularly right, or left leaning. I tend to be fiscally conservative, socially left leaning.

Re: "the Mooch"

Shits gettin real... soon to boil over

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

NOW WATCH: The incredible life of Roger Federer, the highest-paid tennis player on Earth

SPORTS
Leaked memo from ESPN president blames Robert Lee hoopla on 'someone with a personal agenda'
Cork Gaines Aug 24, 2017, 8:43 AM ET
FILE PHOTO: ESPN logo and building are shown in down town Los Angeles, California, U.S., March 6, 2017. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo
Thomson Reuters
ESPN president John Skipper sent a memo to staff Wednesday to respond to criticism that came after the network's decision to remove a football announcer named Robert Lee was from an assignment at the University of Virginia because of his name.

The move was made in the wake of the recent protests in Charlottesville, but conservative commentators criticized ESPN for what they deemed political correctness gone awry, in part because Lee is Asian-American.

Clay Travis of the sports website Outkick the Coverage broke the news Tuesday in an article with the headline "MSESPN Pulls Asian Announcer Named Robert Lee Off UVa Game To Avoid Offending Idiots." "MSESPN" is a reference to what critics view as ESPN's liberal bias along the same lines of MSNBC.

A statement from an anonymous ESPN executive said the decision was simply made to avoid Lee becoming the subject of "memes and jokes and who knows what else."

Skipper went further in explaining the decision, saying it was made by a production staff outside of Bristol, that Lee had expressed concern with the assignment, and blaming the hoopla over the decision on 'someone with a personal agenda.'"

Here is the memo, via Brian Stelter of CNN:

"Given the amount of media attention being generated by one of the countless, routine decisions our local production teams make every day, I wanted to make sure you have the facts. There was never any concern - by anyone, at any level - that Robert Lee's name would offend anyone watching the Charlottesville game.
"Among our Charlotte production staff there was a question as to whether - in these divisive times - Robert's assignment might create a distraction, or even worse, expose him to social hectoring and trolling. Since Robert was their primary concern, they consulted with him directly. He expressed some personal trepidation about the assignment and, when offered the chance to do the Youngstown State/Pitt game instead, opted for that game - in part because he lives in Albany and would be able to get home to his family on Saturday evening.

Sorry. It was kind of sort of his call.

Re: "the Mooch"

VonYinzer said:
Hey Tune. How ya doin?

Back to my roots, traded a chair and screen for my old hammer and nails doing remodel shit on my own... bikes are feelin lonely but winter is coming.

07ed63cc732f3ff5b14bfaf4138b6381.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

How about that Arpaio pardon? Someone convicted of violating the principles of the Constitution, with a history of racist policies and of degrading treatment toward prisoners. Ouch.

carnivorous chicken said:
How about that Arpaio pardon? Someone convicted of violating the principles of the Constitution, with a history of racist policies and of degrading treatment toward prisoners. Ouch.
I don't know about that one.

That one is a no brainer. Chump decided to send a message that as first Emir of these disunited sates, he and his buds can do whatever they want - or what he wants and he has the power of all kings and dictators to do whatever he wants. He is above teh law. He is such a winner that maybe he thinks he is a god.

Approve or disapprove of Sheriff Joe, he was convicted in a court of law and has the right to appeal. At this stage he has not even been sentenced yet. So for El Preidente to step in now and pardon him seems to be completely inappropriate and is a combination of political stunt and to send a warning that he and anyone he likes is above the law. Sad. Very sad.

In a few short months the US has gone from being seen by many as a flawed but generally OK country that leads from the front, to being seen as a petty, failing dictatorship.

There have been a few books and articles written about fallen empires and how the end for the US as a major power is inevitable. I doubt any of those authors saw it coming so fast. Sessions and Trump now want to make it into a military state and want to give police forces even more military equipment so they can rigidly enforce the law on anyone that gets out of line.

Not a good time to be not rich or not white. Of course over time as the economy falters and civil unrest grows, those billionaire buddies he is trying to impress will be less happy too, so I guess in the end everyone loses out to some degree. That sounds more like a Bannon plan.

Back
Top Bottom