1983 XV500 Cafe Racer

It looks lilke the frame is going to be a major problem. I believe you might be able to cut the whole front of the frame off and lower and rake the steering head more vertical. that said, this seems pretty complicated to do without a jig and some pretty sophisticated measuring tools. Perhaps you can source another frame?

I think I'd have a go at trying out the gixxer fork and tree set up before chopping up the headstock, of course, I chopped on my frame. Just on the opposite end. Ha! Check my thread. See what you think.

Notlob, cheers for the link, that build is not too disimillar to one of my solutions, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Ok, so I have remouted the engine and tried both the orginal forks and the GSXR forks for comparison before I do any cutting and chopping. As you can see from the pictures running the GSXR front end without frame modifications would reduce the ground clearance too much, although the rake angle has improved, i.e. reduced to sharpen the steering.

Attachments

• XV project 003.jpg
    XV project 003.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 2,327
  • XV project 004.jpg
    XV project 004.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 3,519
  • XV project 009.jpg
    XV project 009.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 846
  • XV project 007.jpg
    XV project 007.jpg
    271.2 KB · Views: 3,126
Love xv builds. Exciting to watch if you do try and tackle the geometry change. but, when you mocked it up with the suspension loaded it looked pretty mean and lunging forward.

-What tank are you running? will it cover up most of the area you plan to tweak?
-Do the GSXR bearings match up to your headset? or do they require mods?
-Any plans for the rear wheel? This is the one area of these bikes i dislike. I've seen some conversions, but they seen like a big task with the differential. Friend of mine found a chain drive XV, lucky guy.

Cheers, keep it up!

Just looking at the pictures, I think it looks perfect with the GSXR forks. I know nothing of geometry, trail and suspension, so don't mind me. Yes , I see that you loose some ground clearance and that is maybe not good. Maybe a little in this case will be ok. Maybe you can make up a little in the back with a taller rear tire? I don't know but with the right seat and tank it could look very good! This post is of little use but I really dig the pic of the modes so far. Good luck. Thanks for sharing and I will continue to watching!

PS sometimes if you keep the modes simple you have a better chance of finishing and getting to ride the bike (ask me how I know ;))

The thing is, we aren't exactly going to be dragging knees with these things, are we? Of course, you'll be using a 17" gixxer wheel. I opted for 18"'ers on both ends.

[quote author=

-What tank are you running? will it cover up most of the area you plan to tweak?
-Do the GSXR bearings match up to your headset? or do they require mods?
-Any plans for the rear wheel? This is the one area of these bikes i dislike. I've seen some conversions, but they seen like a big task with the differential. Friend of mine found a chain drive XV, lucky guy.

Cheers, keep it up!
[/quote]

I haven't decided on a tank yet, the standard tank is awful and uses the return flow vacuum fuel tap/pet cock with a fuel pump, so I'm going to bin that and use a tank from something else. The issue is that the XV frame is wide as the airbox is part of the frame above the carbs, I was thinking of constructing a twin spar frame to allow conical air filters to be mounted on the downdraft carbs, as I like the look of the V-twin engine without a side draft carb obscuring the view, however as the standard carbs have a pressure restricted float cut off as standard the bike uses a fuel pump, I have decided the best option is to go with a single side draft carb, this should also allow me to use a single tube backbone frame.

The GSXR bearings don't match the XV headstock as the GSXR uses tappered roller bearings and the XV uses ball bearing races, however the steering shaft is the same diameter top and bottom and the same length and has the same threads, in fact the XV shaft looks more substantial, would you believe. As it looks like I'm going for a complete new frame I'll get a headstock machined up, it can't be that expensive.

I had plan with the rear wheel, of at least I thought I did, I was thinking of using another GSXR front wheel, this would give me the advantage of being able to use a disc rather than drum, my thoughts were that the width of the hub of a GSXR front hub would be narrow enough to mount the spline drive for the XV and still keep the wheel centred, however it's a no go, so I'm looking at using a spoked hub from an XV 535 and changing the rim to either a 17" or 18" as the 535 uses a 15" rim, more expense but I'll leave the wheels to last, as I'm trying to do this on a budget.

I agree it does look good with the forward stance on the GSXR front end, although this is just with static sag and no other compontents on the bike, no fluids and no rider, and as much as I'd like to think I'm lean and slender, I'm far from it at 210 pounds, so I'll aim for a bit more ground clearance.

You do have a headache there Karloss.
Ground clearance doesn't look great and with the addition of evrything else and a rider its only getting worse. If your not dead set on USD forks try the early 2000 zx9r c and e model RWU forks they are longer than recent USD forks and fully adjustable. I Have a set ready to go on a cb900 so can let you have the measurements.
I'm presuming the rear wheel is 18" and the front 18" or 19" so keeping the original front wheel and making it fit the gsxr forks would give you some more clearance but maybe not enough. But would give you matching wheels and negate the further headache of reengineering a back wheel.
Maybe a frame redesign is the better option but no less complicated.
I think which ever way you go is not going to be easy and straight forward.

Good luck

Yep I can see why not many of these, if any, have been coverted, the 500 was an odd-ball model when it was new, if only I knew when I bought it what I know now! On the positive it'll certainly be unique in the UK and rare anywhere in the world. As I've bought the USD forks I'm going to stick with them, here comes a new frame :-\

This is a huge bite, I think we are in for an interesting chew.

Wouldn't the original forks,which look ridiculously long, be close to correct with about 2" sticking out of the top triple clamp? Assuming of course, the the additional load of tank, seat rider, etc

The original forks are not great, too long, too skinny and just not my cup of tea. I'm not keen on having the forks protruding above the top clamp too much, I've seen this on a few cafe racer and street trackers and I just think it looks bodged, I appreciate thats my opinion and some have used that method to great affect. A new frame it is, build in my domestic garage, the only tricky bits are going to be the tube notching, everything else is just basic angles and measurments, who needs a jig! :D

Since you really want to make a frame for you bike, I was thinking you could make it out of laser/water jet cut sheet metal. The original was made of sheet and if you are any good with cad you could make it self jigging and have the ability to hold it all together while it is being welded. Just a thought :)

There are a number of laser/water jet cutting services on the web and free downloadable cad programs. It is a steep leaning curve but, it could be a cool thing if you where so inclined.

The frame in tubing will defiantly be quite a challenge and there are no computers involved. The fact that there a no computers involved cuts about 300% off you time in labor. It is funny how computers are suppose to help you but more often get in the way.

It's been a bit slow lately, with the snow here and getting married I haven't had much time for building. Ordered my notching tool today, absolute bargain £65 off ebay from Frost Auto Restoration with free postage, £10 cheaper than the normal price they sell it for! And it cuts up to 60 degrees!

Also sent my specs over to the steel provider to cost up the tubing before I decide on what size tube to go for, and found out he has a tube bender....absolute result!! :D

Hey Karlloss,
Congratulations on getting married and good luck on the build. Because of you I have been looking at v-twin Yamaha's in the area and wondering what if. I have two bikes now and the Mrs. would not stand for a third. Maybe someday (fingers crossed).

Congrats on the marriage Karloss.

I have something for you to consider that I've been looking into. I been trying to keep quite about it as I may do an XV project but I cant keep a secret .
How about modifying one of these frames.
images

May be easier than a new build and you will have a Vin and number on the headstock so less hassle.
Its a triumph Daytona 900 frame could use any of the triple frames from that era.
You may only be able to use the headstock and backbone but thats what you were replacing anyhow.

cbSteve said:
Hey Karlloss,
Congratulations on getting married and good luck on the build. Because of you I have been looking at v-twin Yamaha's in the area and wondering what if. I have two bikes now and the Mrs. would not stand for a third. Maybe someday (fingers crossed).
Thank you for congratulations. I bought the XV with out the Mrs knowing, caused a few issues, not least having to spend some money a present for her!!

notlob said:
Congrats on the marriage Karloss.

I have something for you to consider that I've been looking into. I been trying to keep quite about it as I may do an XV project but I cant keep a secret .
How about modifying one of these frames.
images

May be easier than a new build and you will have a Vin and number on the headstock so less hassle.
Its a triumph Daytona 900 frame could use any of the triple frames from that era.
You may only be able to use the headstock and backbone but thats what you were replacing anyhow.

Thank you for your congratulations :)

Interesting and not too far from another frame I have seen which is giving me ideas, I saw a Honda CX frame, which has virtually the same look as the Daytona frame. I'm still completely undecided on which way to go, I'm waiting for the steel guy I know (is also a TIG welder and has a tube bender!) to come back with some prices on different tube sizes, which may well force my decision :-\

Back
Top Bottom