Hydraulic clutch issues on '83 V45 Magna

sbp_fan

I have an '83 V45 I bought a few weeks ago that I am having trouble getting back on the road. The bike has a hydraulic clutch that is, I think, leaking somewhere. If I bleed the clutch it works fine for a few miles, but then the clutch begins to slip. I can't find any obvious leaks in the line, master cylinder, or slave cylinder.

Any suggestions as to where I should look next, or if something else could be causing the problem?

leaking would not make the clutch slip
the only way the hyd mech could cause slipping if it is getting hung up still holding some pressure against the clutch
it is possible the return hole in the master is plugged enough to restrict return fluid flow
sounds to me that you just need to go through the clutch replace discs as needed then make sure the slave cylinder is free sliding in the bore
proly a good idea to rebuild or at least pop it apart and clean well

Don't you love the hydraulic clutches on these bikes? ;) Haven't gotten my grandpa's to work after months of trying to get it sorted. That said, peeling the clutch plates apart and re-lubing them is a good idea especially after having it sit. All of them were stuck together on my grandpa's. The master and slave are simple and easy to clean, with rebuild kits available for cheap. Check v4market.com if you haven't, good place to find magna parts.

Back
Top Bottom