lil beast soon to be cb175

chris73cb175

Been Around the Block
this is my first post and build. i picked up a '73 honda cb175 when i was visiting sacramento. i couldn't pass it up. so i got a trailer and brought it back home to long beach. kick over but the battery was dead and tank drained. i wanted to do a good tune up and change the body up some. as of right now i'm just tearing it down to clean everything up, repaint frame & tank, learn a bit about my bike and get this thing on the road asap. i'll be asking a bunch of question. i have done a lot of searching on the site already but there are always questions since i'm pumped on this project. i work on car engines at work and hope this won't be to big of a job for me. i'm a sponge right now and am wanting as many pointers and tips for the build. here are some pics
DSCF1779.jpg
first day home
DSCF1962.jpg
last night started the tear down i don't have a garage so my wife was happy i rolled it into the dinning room.
DSCF1971.jpg
here is quesion number one clymer manual isn't detail at all i don't know what that tridon dot plug is i'll get more info for you guys tonight when i get off work. the plug was just hanging so i don't know if there is a place to mount.
DSCF1977.jpg
this is the right carb had some gas in it. anyone might know why the left carb was bone dry.
DSCF1978.jpg
here is the left carb

i know this isn't going to hit the ton but i plan on boring 1mm over, thinning out seat, clip ons, i want to do rearsets but have question about doing this with a two up seat since i want to have to wife ride with me, other than that i'm changing smaller brake and rear turn lights taking the front turns off. i want to make the bike kick start only any advice on how i had trouble finding info through the search. thanks again i'm so pumped to be doing this more pictures to come when i work on the bike.

in the pic when the seat is first off you could see a voltage box i believe. does anyone know what this is? it looks like its hooked to the rear lights. tonight there will be more up dates and questions. i was wondering if anyone had any pointers on carb set ups and filters i'm trying to get the most out of this lil motor. i plan on boring it out.

hey chris. nice find. im working on another 73 cl175 down in costa mesa. im going to be doing a few things to my engine as well. these things are going to be fun

whats up,

nice bike, they are really fun. i own a 1973 cd 175 and it is a blast.
rebuilt the motor. new cam chain and tensioner, new rings and cleaned up cyl. new sprockets and chain, and painted eng prts.
any way, you will love the bike. what are you doing with it, major eng work??
check out WWW. WEMOTO.UK, it has all the prts on the 175. chain kits, shocks, cables, etc..
good quality stuff.
keep posting some pics,
later.

where'd you find that in sac?
i live here and i've been keeping my eyes open for one but no luck so far.
good score.
have fun with it.

The Tridon DOT thing is your turn signal flasher. It's an aftermarket one they sell cheap. Should work just fine though. Keep us updated.

muskrat said:
where'd you find that in sac?
i live here and i've been keeping my eyes open for one but no luck so far.
good score.
have fun with it.
i found it on craigslist downtown sacramento right around the corner from the capitol. the guy was super cool he wanted 500 but i talked him down to 180 because we ended up hanging out and he liked us a lot i guess. got very lucky

dcmspikes said:
hey chris. nice find. im working on another 73 cl175 down in costa mesa. im going to be doing a few things to my engine as well. these things are going to be fun
costa mesa is close we should link up sometime. maybe if your down you could help me out with the build. i'm worried about the wiring. i'm wondering if anyone might know where i could get a wiring set or place to get wires because i want to rewire the bike. stuff is old and cracking

didn't get much done but i guess getting a bolt off the frame is progress for sure. i plan on having it done this week. then wait on parts while i clean.

DSCF1995.jpg
don't where this came from it was just hanging. man i need to get a shop manual this clymer isn't cutting it. haha
DSCF2001.jpg
found this in the bars. lucky? i'll find a way to throw this in the bike.
DSCF2003-1.jpg
wiring on bikes is crazy i'm not to good with wiring so if any one could help me out when i get to this point that would be awesome. i want to rewire the bike so any ideas on where to get wires or just kits?

thats about it for last night. it was late and i have only been sleeping like 5 4 hours before work which sucks hahaha anyways i'll keep the pictures and updates coming.

Flugtechnik said:
That first pic looks like the rear brake switch.
thanks for the tip. i'm looking for a shop manual now i think it will give me a better break down of parts and names unlike clymer which is like take this off and do reverse to install. but its all good. i'm going to hit up an electrical shop this weekend and grab me some wire. hopefully the wiring won't be to difficult. i'm having problems finding eletrical parts to replace the dusted ones on the bike.

dcmspikes there is this guy i have been talking to in lakewood he is really knowledgeable about hondas. he is going to do the boring for my block. his name is jerry. if you need someone i could email you his number. he use to work for honda and have worked with these bikes when they use to sell them new.

i found wiring stuff on here which i was pumped to find this i just made a quick list of the stuff and am going down to home depot or some shop local to pick them up http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=5526.0

yesterday was weird...michael died and it was what everyone was talking about... i got a lot done last night. i'm at the point where front fork and motor is off today when i'm off work and then i clean and paint the frame. i'm still trying to find a spot for wires themselves. i really want a kit but i think if i just roll down to home depot or some electrical spot with my wires they could help me out. any pointers on where to get the major electrical stuff like my 12v box. i'm hoping i get some extra cash on the side i'm trying to get this done quick because i want to ride before summer is over.

DSCF2008.jpg
me at work
DSCF2025.jpg
the end of the night got all the wiring off besides whats on the block
DSCF2006.jpg
man i got these things clean. now i'm just waiting for the rebuild kits to come not sure if i even need it but the thing has been sitting for a long time and having everything fresh for the road before i take her out will make things a lot easier for me. i used lemon juice carb cleaner my fav tool the dremel. hopefully i could pull the engine myself tonight. i'll let you guys know.

that under $50 mod thread is awesome i highly suggest new people like me to look through there.

got the front forks off and now the cleaning begins since i have some down time waiting on parts. i'm wating on a carb rebuild kit, get the wiring stuff all together, and allen key bolts because the case bolts where stripped. why would they use regular hex nuts? i'm getting the tank painted this week hopefully. i got some things to sell so if you guys have an El camino 80 - 84 let me know. i need cash for my bike haha.

i hope everyone had a good 4th. i treated myself with a little bit of time to work on my bike before i started the festival stuff. i got the motor off the frame, chopped the exhaust (hoping the shop down the street could bend me some high pipes). getting the frame off by your self with no jack or anything is a mission also moving the bike and motor out of the house was a pain. i got my rear lights and the carb kits so that is next.

this weekend since i get paid

order engine gaskets and fork seals (maybe swing arm bushings)
clean motor
wire brush frame and mild sanding get ready to paint
polish as many parts as possible
harbor freight mission

one more thing i'm getting my rebuild kit for my carbs this week and can't find anything in the clymer for a filter size. i'm assuming its 35mm. if anyone know drop a line. thanks

To get the filter size (I'm assuming pods here) simply measure the outside diameter of the carbs intake side. This will give you the size you need to purchase. If its an odd size, say 34.6mm, then round up to the nearest millimeter to avoid overstressing the rubber boot. If you plan on running velocity stacks, then its the inside diameter you want to match up.

Man its handy having a brother thats got some presicion calipers, hahaha ;D

Cheers - boingk

Back
Top Bottom