Modern cafe, "Project Kool-Aid/ Christine: CASE BACK OPEN...

t71ford

Over 1,000 Posts
Well, with winter fast approaching, I am getting the restless bug again. This bike was supposed to be a streetfighter, but that look causes a lot of dubious misconceptions around here, so I am going a different direction. Plus, with Blackkat's success, I am now inspired. I have spent the last two weeks conceptualizing, and have a pretty good idea of the way I want to go. Here is the starting pic;

100_2360.jpg

I am now going the cafe direction (just can't help myself). Here is what I have doped out so far:

Full polished frame, swinger, and wheels. Replace and rework gauge cluster, and re-mount dual headlamp. Thruxton or Dunstall alloy seat (polished of course). Silver metal base painted tank with [undisclosed :p ] candy red airbrused artwork on tank. A lot of clean and detail on engine, and reworking all of the undertail stuff.

Not a lot to report, but it will save me some catch up later. I will post more when something interesting happens...This is the official start!

Re: Modern cafe, henceforth "Project Kool-Aid"

This promises to be interesting.....

Got my attention!

Thanks man...its not much yet, but it will be a long winter! I gotta admit, I feel a little silly with starting a thread with so little, but hey, they all gotta start somewhere ;D

I am going to start the teardown tomorrow, because there is a lot of polishing to be done. I can ride the xs1100 while this is down, so I don't lose any riding time. I am pretty excited about the concept, but will need you guys to help keep it true! I have decided to keep most of the stock running gear, since it handles really well and puts down plenty of power the way it is. The looks need a lot of help, though, and that is where this work comes in. Hopefully more pics soon!

I don't remember whose light that dual is. I think I got it off e-bay, and it still cost a fair bit. It is really well made , though with parking/ day running lamps and everything. Sorry, not much help :-\

Is that a CBR600 F4? That looks suprisingly good naked. Who says a cafe has to be vintage? Go nuts on that thing!

Honda VTR1000F twin. I plan to go nuts, after seeing some of the inspiration for the modern here! ;D

Man, digging this thing up brought up a message that it has been 30 days since it has been active :-[. It has been nice here through October, so I have worked little, and ridden lots! But I did manage to get a little work done in the last few days. I finally was able to source my Acewell gauge, remounted the headlights with ears instead of on the steering post, lowered the clip-ons, painted the head pipes, speed holed the heel guards on the rear sets, polished the frame and radiators, and did a little engine detail.The speed holing looks a mite random, but matches with the structual castings on the back side of the guards. Here are pics of the progress:

100_2562.jpg

100_2563.jpg

100_2566.jpg

100_2565.jpg

100_2564.jpg

No I am doing my planning for the rear end. This old girl is ample in the rear, and I am going to slim that down alot. I just can't decide between a Thruxton type seat and more of a Dunstall seat. The rounded rear cowl seems to flow better. Anyway, Aat least it is progress...

I had a VTR. Wicked bike!!! Do you know the fairings on those bikes were designed to work with the unique cooling system on those bikes? Notice how the rads are not mounted facing the airstream? The engineers had to split the cooling system into two, because the rad needed to keep that big twin cool would have made the bike wide if a single rad was mounted on the front of the bike. It's a very well engineered system. The fairing has intake ducts to force air at the rads, and exhaust vents to draw that air through both rads. Also notice how it only has one cooling fan? That one fan does the work of two, but the fairings are needed for it to work properly. The fan would draw fresh air through the left rad, and push all the air out through the right rad, and introduce it into airflow. Both rads were disigned to work together as one rad. When I used to get stuck in traffic on my VTR, the fan would come on, and almost burn my right leg, it worked so well. That big snotty V twin produces a lot of heat for those little rads to handle on their own, so you are going to have get your self some type of ram air ducts onto those rads, and also some type of system like the stock bike has to allow that fan to cool both rads in low speed situations.

It is a wicked fast bike for sure, and handles pretty good. Are you talking about a shroud like this?

100_2568.jpg

I couldn't put one on the fan side, since it is a pusher fan, and a duct would defeat the purpose. Actually, when I bought it, it didn't have any fans, and would keep cool until you sat in traffic. I bought the orginal fan to install for that reason. As it sits, the fan rarely turns on, except when sittin in traffic. The fan actually works well enought then that it will still cycle, even when sitting. The cooling system on this bike really works pretty well. But it is the reason I have not decided to go mono rad behind the forks. The hottest we had here in MT this summer was about 105, and the cooling system was way more than adequate. Thanks for the heads up, though. I have read a lot of articles regarding that very issue, so I checked it multiple times with my infrared heat gun and at the most get about 205-215 (the fan switch settings. The shroud is not done, but is very functional as it is.

Thanks for the heads up! What happened to your VTR?

the fan is actually a push and pull fan. I got rid of my VTR before real bad things happened. Had it for 3 years. Stand up wheelies through 3 gears, and into 4th at 180 km/h, and knee dragging on city streets is not good. Got me a dirtbike to cool the aggression, but that only made it easier to be a hooligan! VTR went bye bye, and I stayed on the dirt. Way more challenging than going fast on pavement

I have mine set up and wired to push, since I figured it better to get the heat out away from the engine. It seems to work.

I had the phase you are talking about, too. Cruising at 160mph on the long straight roads, knee dragging canyons and towns, and riding the infamous VTR wheelie, etc. The problem is that you don't really realize that you are doing it. I am finally starting to get a better grip on it now, and some of that is a lot more rare. I geared it down (so no more 160), I have found it to be an excellent commuter vehicle, since you can get throuh traffic much more quickly due to handling and power. It is all around well suited to that task, so I commute with the VTR, and actually do my distance/ recreational riding on my XS1100. It is as challenging to ride the XS slowly as the VTR fast, so just as enjoyable, but safer.

of course, as you say, there is always dirtbiking!

How did I miss this? The VTR looks crazy fun dude!

And great. Now I'll never be able to hang with you!

Just put a big bore in the 550 and you will be fine ;)

I will bring it and let you ride it next time we are out. It is a blast. How did the purchase go?

The purchase went great. The important-to-me parts are in great shape and the motor is strong. Both my bikes are down right now though, so we won't be able to duel it out till spring!

Hey Tyler, you get a chance yet to do anything more to this beast?

t71ford said:
Just put a big bore in the 550 and you will be fine ;)

As a matter of fact I am! I don't think it'll help me much though. :D

Back
Top Bottom