1982 CB750F...Better Devil

Re: 1982 CB750F Resto-mod. At least that's the current plan.

Jim if need be I can get the bits out of Mine ans send them on the bus tonyou as well if shipping cross border is rediculous.

You're a good man Mike, thanks man for the offer. Should be ok though - I'm in the US week after next so I'll get anything I need shipped there. By the way, haven't forgotten about that SharkHide - just keep kinda forgetting haha. I'm on it. Glad you're on the mend mate.

Not much to report here either. Still planning on squeaking the bike through its safety exam - all the work I'm doing on the bike at the moment therefore is on a kinda wing-and-a-prayer basis. Which isn't a great plan of attack as it turns out. Had to borrow a bunch of parts off Rhonda (starter relay, carb floats and gaskets, er, tank) but it's one step forward and two steps back. So, Plan B.

Pulled the carbs again and will be ordering a set of new o-rings and gaskets. The kit includes some new float needles - the ones I have a the moment look ok but the little spring pin is a bit stuck on some of them (is there any way to free that up? I'd like to keep the originals if possible). Installed an inline fuel filter and have a front brake caliper rebuild kit arriving soon too.

Still borrowing Rhonda's tank, but promised her she'll get it back asap.

The Jimbonaut said:
You're a good man Mike, thanks man for the offer. Should be ok though - I'm in the US week after next so I'll get anything I need shipped there. By the way, haven't forgotten about that SharkHide - just keep kinda forgetting haha. I'm on it. Glad you're on the mend mate.

No worries Mate. hope all goes well with the inspection.

Cheers

Mike

It wouldn’t be quebec if he didn’t have to do the inspection 2-3 times

Well, shit - so much for that.

This riding season just seemed to fall off a cliff - one day we could and the next the arse fell out of the weather and that was all she wrote. My plan to get this bike thru its safety exam before introducing it to power tools was a massive fail so, well, balls to it. Avanté.

Cleaned up my grenaded garage over the weekend, turned on the shop heater and had a good sit down - a couple of hours just looking at the bike is time well spent. Have a few ideas percolating, ergos more or less figured out and a general plan of attack up my sleeve. Let's see how far I deviate.

Here's where I'm at -

2aaNglx.jpg

Yeah, not much further than a few months back.

Will be starting the tear down very soon, love that part. Question, does anyone recognize these shocks?

1A9lCdl.jpg

They sound like they've got emphysema, really wheezy. Are they rebuildable? They're not progressive but seem to be otherwise in pretty good knick, might clean up nice and they're very adjustable too.

If anyone needs any fog lights then hit me up - have a pair I pulled off this thing which I have no need for. Can send a pic.

Ive got that same set of shocks on my GL. Not sure on the rebuildable part but they are better than the 79 GL ones I had. Justin sent me them off a 750 he parted out.

Any idea what brand they are Mike? Probably pushing my luck to have a go at rebuilding these things, but by the sounds of it they have an air leak or some kind of busted seal.

Very nice Sir!I´ll be crackin´a cold one and watching!

The Jimbonaut said:
Any idea what brand they are Mike? Probably pushing my luck to have a go at rebuilding these things, but by the sounds of it they have an air leak or some kind of busted seal.
They're OEM Honda, prob made by Koni.

I think that Honda OEM shocks were made by SHOWA. If those are FVQ type they were known as fade very quickly and are not very useful on a bike. OK as boat anchors I'm told

Seems they're rare as hen's teeth, certainly as far as google image search is concerned - did find one image but it was in Czech, lead nowhere (item had sold I think) and, well, my Czech is significantly compromised by the fact that, as a language, I speak it not at all.

Think I'll be consigning these to the big pile of crap building steadily in the corner of my garage.

I had a set (told they were from a CB650) on my 360 for a while. I didn't care for them, but I think that may have been because they were just a poor match for the bike.

I have Progressive shocks on my other 750 and they’re a huge improvement on the cheapo Emgo shocks I bought originally. They didn’t come cheap but hey, get what you pay for.

Unless I can dig up another manufacturer for a better price, Progressive will probably be welcoming another bundle of my hard-earned soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

teazer said:
I think that Honda OEM shocks were made by SHOWA. If those are FVQ type they were known as fade very quickly and are not very useful on a bike. OK as boat anchors I'm told

You're prob right and looking again they aren't the same as mine, the ones Jussy sent me were from and F and they have preload, rebound and compression adjustments on them.

The Jimbonaut said:
I have Progressive shocks on my other 750 and they’re a huge improvement on the cheapo Emgo shocks I bought originally. They didn’t come cheap but hey, get what you pay for.

Unless I can dig up another manufacturer for a better price, Progressive will probably be welcoming another bundle of my hard-earned soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Check out Hagons as well, spendy but great reviews. They're on my when I can afford them for the GL list.

Yesterday was a day. It was a cold one at that, 5F. That's firmly in witch's tit territory.

Once I'd basically Mother Hen'd the shop heater and regained some feeling in my extremities it was time to start the tear down. It went pretty well, and a few hours later I was looking at this -

2YQP4ce.jpg

zNjDagG.jpg

Nothing too catastrophic, couple of seized bolts here and there and some iffy wiring to the rear end but otherwise - so far - in pretty good knick. Two words to any novice like me reading this - Ratcheting Wrenches. What a tool. Picked up a set when they were on sale a few months back and I'll never look back. In true bait-and-switch corporate fuckery the set didn't include 12mm and 14mm (each cost about the same as the entire set) but whatever. That's Santa's business this year.

Oh. Resto-mod? Resto-mod my ass. Don't know who I was trying to kid. As soon as I started eyeing up the rear subframe, teeing up where I'd be chopping it off, I knew this bike belongs in a different forum. Not sure which yet, but sure as shit not here.

Intriguing. What are your thoughts about the new vision? Chopper, hardtail, cafe, "brat" stock?

Love the feeling of having a roller. Nice work.

Back
Top Bottom