'75 Yamaha XS500 Cafe Project - Open Throttle

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - 8/15 Electrical Stage

Here is some pictures of my gauge's back lighting issue. There is only one power source from the main harness. Then the power branches off to the various back lights. All are 12volts in the wiring diagram. I don't think changing the stem off the main source will differ since all the new back lights are LED.

Tach back light is washed out but not that bright in person. Second picture is in pitch black. Makes it look worse than it actually is. It's still noticeable though.
IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

Probably just different lights / translucency of the faces in the two gauges. My gauge backlights burned out a while ago (not even running the tach light). I don't miss them. Hardly ever look at the gauges anyhow.

mine burnt out almost right away as well, replaced them and now they are good to go

Tim said:
Probably just different lights / translucency of the faces in the two gauges. My gauge backlights burned out a while ago (not even running the tach light). I don't miss them. Hardly ever look at the gauges anyhow.

Yeah, I figured I couldn't do much. I'll just live with them. Not stressed about it.

you can also add a resister on the power line, that would work to dim it down a bit

To work from Joe's idea, since you'd need to rewire for your resistor (a big fat one), why not convert them to LEDs? They'll draw far less current allowing your to add a couple $2 radioshack 0/5kohm potentiometers to adjust each gage's backlite to your best setting.
Just a thought....

Swagger said:
To work from Joe's idea, since you'd need to rewire for your resistor (a big fat one), why not convert them to LEDs? They'll draw far less current allowing your to add a couple $2 radioshack 0/5kohm potentiometers to adjust each gage's backlite to your best setting.
Just a thought....

I think they are already led back lights. Plus I can't open the aftermarket gauges.

You have no access to the internal bulbs....at all? Sheesh, I guess I'll pass on them.....was looking at adding them to a quick turn bike....

how can you put togther something that does not come apart

I'd imagine there's a way, but perhaps not simply. It may be like CB gauges where you have to cut the outer trim ring to access the innards.

Swagger said:
I'd imagine there's a way, but perhaps not simply. It may be like CB gauges where you have to cut the outer trim ring to access the innards.

im pretty sure that's how these are. My yamy stock gauges are the same. No access unless you wanna ruin the trim.

No worries there. A dremel with a red cut-off wheel makes a 1/16" or less slice.
When you're ready, reposition the slice at the bottom of the gauge (or whatever is the most obscured) and epoxy it back in place.

Hey man, I just got your PM. you have one back!

Nice bike, BTW!

hey bud do you know what MM the carbs are? i forgot to measure this weekend, and i wanted to order some pod filters for mine, i am giving up on the V stacks! about to give up on these shitty carbs as well!

JRK5892 said:
hey bud do you know what MM the carbs are? i forgot to measure this weekend, and i wanted to order some pod filters for mine, i am giving up on the V stacks! about to give up on these shitty carbs as well!

hey joe. sorry for the late post. been on vacation. I bought my pod filters of HVC Cycle. 52mm according to their website and they fit pretty good.

Starter, rotor weights and springs.

So I finally had a chance to analyze the problem with my starter. The starter motor, shaft, sprocket, and chain are fine. I actually noticed that the alternator rotor has some type of roller weights that engage the engine when the electric start was triggered. After further disassembly I noticed that the bottom bell that holds the springs and weights was heavily scored from the friction of the weights.

I don't know if this was causing my problem of the rotor not fulling engaging and sounding like a ratchet that wasn't working right but I order a new rotor anyways that will have smooth surfaces for the weight and springs to operate.

Has anyone ever had any trouble or experience with the starting chain and weights or pins in the bottom of the alternator rotor?

See #9,#10,#11, and #12.
STARTING_MOTOR_UNIT.Gif

Re: 1975 Yamaha XS500B Cafe Project (TX500) - 8/29 - IT"S ALIVE!!

Got a new starter rotor with weights in the mail. Start problem fixed. Prepare to fire. 3-2-1. Engine Launch.
[flash=200,200]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9KU6nX-PVE[/flash]
This is the first time I ever started it! Well actually had it running 30 second before I pulled out the camera. Timing is off but sounds pretty good. It paid to spend the time adjusting the tappets clearances and points gaps. Checked compression and all looks goodddd.

Sounds awesome!!! And damn that engine is purty...

ha hahaha that is awesome! sounds just like mine does! tell me that is not a mean sound for a twin! i love it... now the tuning comes in man, i said FK it and ordered some VM30 carbs last week, done dealing with the ones it has. let me know if i can help in any way!

JRK5892 said:
ha hahaha that is awesome! sounds just like mine does! tell me that is not a mean sound for a twin! i love it... now the tuning comes in man, i said FK it and ordered some VM30 carbs last week, done dealing with the ones it has. let me know if i can help in any way!

Thanks. Yeah definitely sounds means. quite amazing for such a compact engine. I only had an minute of fun with the carbs but they didn't seem too bad. Carbs were super clean from the last guy I bought the bike from. Didn't have to adjust float bowls or anything. The only thing I did to them was new o-rings all around and bigger jet. #135. There was a little gas drip from the seal of the left pod filter but i think it was from my fuel line clamp not being too tight.

Back
Top Bottom