GL500 Silverwing Scooped for $125

Cool project. I had never seen a silver wing frame before, looks like it is much nicer/better suited to custom builds than the more popular cx500. Rock on!

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Cool project. I had never seen a silver wing frame before, looks like it is much nicer/better suited to custom builds than the more popular cx500. Rock on!

Exactly what I was thinking, I wasn't expecting it to be so flat. Looks good.

JadusMotorcycleParts said:

Thanks man. Yup, flatter than an Illinois cornfield.
20161102_123250_zpsqk0oqi8x_edit_1478127543512_zpsswsdgcfq_edit_1478127656524_zpsn9uqhomj.jpg

Adjusted timing chain at lunch today. I was afraid to loosen the bolt too much... I went about 4 turns out. Maybe I didn't go far enough or maybe the tensioner was just stuck from not being adjusted? I let it run for a bit to warm up, I'll adjust again and see if maybe running for a loosened something up... or maybe it's better and that's valvetrain noise?

After adjustment > COLD engine:
https://youtu.be/AAn032qpwiE

After adjustment > normal operating temp:
https://youtu.be/RqrwC8izuaY

2 turns is enough

you did it with the left cylinder at tdc firing?

you can put a block of wood up against the side of the motor over the case split and whack it with a hammer a few times to jar the adjuster

then tighten it

if its still noisy you need to do a triple bypass you have either a really stretched chain or broken guide

All good information I am going to use once my GL500 is up and running again. Keep on posting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

download a copy of the factory service manual from the CX500 forum

if the guide is broken you need to fix it now or stop running the motor

A little lunchtime progress today, a paycheck can do wonders for morale even if ya haven't ordered anything yet :)

My HF sawsall cut through the frame like butter. Also removed the guages, mufflers, and lower bag mounts at the rear footpegs.

About to order the cam chain, guides, seals and more. I found a price of $55 for the timing chain but open to recommendations on where to order. I saw a list somewhere but can't find it now.

20161107_135116_zpshutiezst.jpeg

https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/triple-quadruple-bypass-parts-list-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/

cxman said:
https://motofaction.org/motorcycles/honda-cx-gl/triple-quadruple-bypass-parts-list-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/

I second this. Great collection of information it has saved my bacon a few times. That and the service manual.

Great, thanks guys, DSS is where I found the parts so I was on track.

Ordered the chain, guides, and a few other bits. I'll order gaskets, seals, and other items later when engine is closer to re-assembly.

I want to lower the front without having the fork tubes sticking through the triple tree (it already is) so I'm thinking of doing an inverted front fork swap and see some people using the GSXR750 fronts, any suggestions on other inverted setup swaps? I have access to a lathe, mill, etc... at work so adapting it wouldn't be an issue.

MitchellSK said:
Great, thanks guys, DSS is where I found the parts so I was on track.

Ordered the chain, guides, and a few other bits. I'll order gaskets, seals, and other items later when engine is closer to re-assembly.

I want to lower the front without having the fork tubes sticking through the triple tree (it already is) so I'm thinking of doing an inverted front fork swap and see some people using the GSXR750 fronts, any suggestions on other inverted setup swaps? I have access to a lathe, mill, etc... at work so adapting it wouldn't be an issue.

Go to All Balls and enter the specs of the bike on the Fork swap thing on the top left. Then it will tell you what forks will swap in with what bearings. But just because the forks swap doesn't mean it will be better shorter forks screw with the geometry. I have a set of 1986 GSXR1100 forks on my bike and it does make the bike feel different for sure. Plus I am running a 17 inch front wheel so my advice may not be credible.

A little more lunchtime progress. Airbox removed, electronics removed now and frame cut a little more. Got an email saying my new cam chain and a couple other items are in transit.

Thinking of future seat hoop options while making everything easier to get access.

(the frame is straight, it just looks odd due to the camera angle)

20161116_125550_zpseit0qaxw.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom