"Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

der_nanno said:
Lovely!

Until the monkey behind the wheel gets a bit overcompetitive ;D

yep - did over-ride the Jacobs on one run and singed a piston - won the race though !

Need to swap to the other half fairing. It has enough room to "hide" the NOS bottle. It's being posted tomorrow [ 2nd May ] with a "sympathetic" invoice !! The same guy has also got me a couple of 9/16 NPT weld bungs and has taken delivery of a spare exh. cam [ modified going on the inlet ].

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 419
beachcomber said:
Fingers crossed ;D....... hoping my pal can bring this back in his hand luggage ! Only a 50bhp shot, but that's a starter for 10. ;)

That takes me back a long way to Bumper Gas Coin as he was known. What was it ? University Challenge or something similar and Bamber Gascoigne was the question master. Is that still on or did it die a few decades ago?

The show is still going, but Bamber Gascoine is dead. He was stabbed to death by the angry hooker who's gear he had stolen.

The NOS kit is on it's way, should be here next week. I started fettling the Manx tank cover - hole is now cut for the screw in neck and I've finalised the re-shaping at the front where I had to chop a bit out to lower the "tank" over the frame - just aesthetics. Still trying to decide if I should fit a dummy hold down strap.

Finally, I made up a dummy head steady just as a POC. yep, that'll work. There will be a second stay diagonally opposite on the other side of the head. I've got some stainless rod and new rod ends round at Brian's, but at least I have the patterns now.

Bit more work fettling the tank this week and maybe shoot it in primer. Still have to decide on the upholstery for the 7R seat ...... foam pad or use my Jag [ Connolly ] perforated hide !

Attachments

• KZ work april 21st 007.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 007.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 183
  • KZ work april 21st 009.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 009.jpg
    697.5 KB · Views: 179
First knock down on the Manx "tank". Not a bad mould at all. Just a few fat finger remedial spots [ grinder on front ] to sort and it's ready to shoot in primer.

Went online to get a Manx style hold down strap ...... £120 ????? Are you having a fuckin laugh you retailers ?

So - the Hot Rodder solution. 1 metre perforated 20mm wide stainless engineer's strip [ £9.00 ], 1 metre 30mm rubber strip £2.95. I've already got over-centre fasteners - but if I had to buy them ..... £15. Maybe I should go into business making the fuckers.

Also had a play with the new Metal flake I got last year. And YES it will suspend in celly [ or any other medium ] and works a treat. I used satin lacquer. Still experimenting with mix ratios etc, but 100 gms flake to 1 litre clear lacquer seems to be fine. 1.75 nozzle on gun and 2 bar spray pressure.

Attachments

• tank strap strip.jpg
    tank strap strip.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 745
  • fish ornament 002.jpg
    fish ornament 002.jpg
    902.5 KB · Views: 186
  • KZ work april 21st 007.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 007.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 178
  • KZ work april 21st 006.jpg
    KZ work april 21st 006.jpg
    401.3 KB · Views: 179
Re: "Tangerine Dream" / Glemseck - KZ750

Nice fish!

Interested to see how you attach the clamps to the perforated strip, it’s a good plan.

Alex jb said:
Nice fish!

Interested to see how you attach the clamps to the perforated strip, it’s a good plan.

garden pond aerator / spout !

THE RUBBER STRIP HAS ARRIVED - JUST WAITING FOR THE STAINLESS STRIP. I'll post up as and when.

"Tank" prepped - just waiting for the rain to come and work it's magic on the surface and next week into primer / surfacer. 8) Alex jb - looks like you haVE THE SAME PROBLEM AS ME - THE FILLER CAP IS IN THE MIDDLE !! I have a cunning plan to split it. Again - I'll post up the solution.

No, not doing yellow zinc chromate base coat - I've found it doesn't like cellulose on top of it ! ;)

I can't finish prepping the seat and belly pan as I can only get at one side ! I'll do as much of the actual block sanding / keying as I can - but I'll have to leave the shaping / fettling until I can get at both sides. The mesh for the front of the belly pan will be here next week, so that can be finalised.

Only minor blemishes to correct - and 2 of the biggest my fat finger fault with the grinder !

Attachments

• kz tank prep 003.jpg
    kz tank prep 003.jpg
    906.1 KB · Views: 177
  • kz tank prep 001.jpg
    kz tank prep 001.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 181
A few peeps have queried the " let the rain do it's magic" :eek: As some of you know I spent my business life designing and manufacturing replica sports cars - using GRP bodies.

We found - purely by accident ::) - that bodies that had been left out in the elements prior to assembly and paint didn't require etch priming. My theory - that the "acid rain" did the etching for you ! The rain [ plentiful in the UK ] also cleaned off any residue of the sanding keyed gel coat. Does it work ? Certainly with Cellulose [ old fashioned me ].

That said - it hasn't rained since I left the "tank" outside !! ;D

Attachments

• family 606.jpg
    family 606.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 794
It's actually the UV-light, which breaks open the surface of the gel-coat. (Unless it's covered in UV-resistant gel-coat.)

I know of a boat- and aerospace-parts manufacturer overhere, who has got the biggest "tanning-booth" in Austria, aka. massive UV-lights in his painting cabinet, as reducing the amount of primer you need, means saving weight, which is always welcome on aircraft.

Thanx for the headsup Greg .... seemed to work leaving them out to "age".

CC - I did the whole range of 356s - from the Speedster up to the T6 Roadster. The T6 is still available via my German pal who took over all my moulds, jigs, etc. when I retired. My 550 Spyder was based on a 550A, with multi-tubular frame rather than a "couple of drainpipes" ladder chassis [ 550 ]. I also designed the unique [ to the repro indutry ] a "California" SCCA competition version. The good old days eh ? 8)

Attachments

• family 604.jpg
    family 604.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 496
  • GERMANY AUG 2005 025.jpg
    GERMANY AUG 2005 025.jpg
    621.2 KB · Views: 200
  • family 212.jpg
    family 212.jpg
    615 KB · Views: 200
Cool! I wonder if I've seen the California car around the vintage circles? I haven't been out much, but my boss just bought a March Formula Ford and I bet i'll find myself behind the wheel of it sooner or later.

beachcomber said:
Thanx for the headsup Greg .... seemed to work leaving them out to "age".

CC - I did the whole range of 356s - from the Speedster up to the T6 Roadster. The T6 is still available via my German pal who took over all my moulds, jigs, etc. when I retired. My 550 Spyder was based on a 550A, with multi-tubular frame rather than a "couple of drainpipes" ladder chassis [ 550 ]. I also designed the unique [ to the repro indutry ] a "California" SCCA competition version. The good old days eh ? 8)

Very very cool!!! I love these cars. Back in the early 80's, I helped my Dad built a replica 59' Speedster on a modified superbeetle chassis. He still has it. He had Claudes' Buggys build him and engine and a local place build him a short throw transmission for it. It's been sitting awhile now but one of these days it'll get resurrected.

Sav0r said:
Cool! I wonder if I've seen the California car around the vintage circles? I haven't been out much, but my boss just bought a March Formula Ford and I bet i'll find myself behind the wheel of it sooner or later.

My old California [ #55 ] has changed hands a few times, but is still doing the rounds. I made 25 California variants in total. One with a turbo Scooby lump - quick ? Hell yea.

Back
Top Bottom