CL360 Cafe Carb Stumble

Ok so took the bike for a little spin again last night just to test my brake adjustments to see if it helps, and the brakes work better now but the electrical is now not happy with me. The turn signal when on would only flash about once every 7-10 seconds and the bike would just run like crap. I do run the bike with the headlight/high beam on all the time to charge the battery. I charged the bike last night and it runs great now the turn signals work and everything. So I am going to do the Checking Your Charging System that Sonreir wrote up and see if it is the battery or not. So got a full weekend a head of me.

Yes, do whatever Sonreir says!
If you've just been running it for tuning and short 1/2 mile rides. that is not enough to keep a charge on it. I have killed my fully charged battery simply setting timing w the strobe light in the garage. starting and killing it several times to make adjustments.

I try not to ride after dark.
my headlight came w a 35/35 bulb, I replaced it w an 18/18.
Also my headlight has a 5 watt daytime running light. I use it most when Im staying close to home, short rides.

Pick up a battery tender jr. permenantly wire the included pigtail to the battery, hide it so its easy to get to. so when it sits you can just plug it in, walk away and give it a trickle charge all the time. easily.

Also, I got a gel battery. My first lasted about 2 seasons. I am on my second season for this one now.

Got it my rides are about a mile to a mile and a half still probably not enough to charge. My battery is of unknown age and is a 6amh battery not sure if it should be 7amh or higher. I see that CrazyPJ runs a 7.5amh I think. I will look into the battery tender jr. Right now I just have an old school charger that can only charge as low as 2amps per hour so I don't hook it up often or to long. Will do some work this weekend for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have not had time to work on the 360. Being a teacher and going to school my self limits my time to the weekends normally. But I did get a Volt Meter from a friend of mine and hooked up the battery to a 2amp charger. Before I hooked it up and the bike had sat for 3 days it read 10.54 Volts. After a over night charge it only read 11.00 Volts. Guess I need a new battery.

Kick. I have the e start but the starter is all jammed up and when you hit the button all it does is make a very bad noise. I pulled off the left side crank case cover and I can turn it but hand one way but it is solid the other. I know it is the one way bearing so it must be something in the starter. When I can I am removing it entirely.

I like these for kick only:
http://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable-12V-7AH-Sealed-Battery/dp/B003S1RQ2S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394221992&sr=8-2&keywords=12v+7ah

Small and light. They don't last too long, but at that price I don't mind replacing them every year or two.

Ok so I have not got a new battery yet but I wanted to check my charging system. With everything connected the battery was only getting 9.8-9.9 volts to it no matter how much I revved it. Now the guy I bought it from disconnected the lights on/off switch so the lights are permanently on. High and low beam make no difference as to the voltage. So I connected the multimeter to the rectifier and would still only get 9.8-9.9 volts DC and nothing reading AC. So I connected another used rectifier I got off of eBay and the same thing. So I connected a radio shack 100v 25a rectifier and wired it all up and got the same thing.

So I moved on to the stator. I checked resistance between the Pink common wire and the White and Yellow wires. I had between 1 and 2 ohms of resistance. But no resistance between the Pink common and the Light Green/Red which according to my wire diagram that leads to neutral switch.

So I moved on to the stator live test. Connected up the multimeter and revved up the bike and got between 20V and 40V (or more) of AC voltage. So I am stumped could I have three bad rectifiers? Or is there something wrong with the neutral switch causing this? Or is it just the battery being crap that is affecting the voltage from the rectifier? I know when the battery is connected to the 2amp charger it won't charge past about 10.5-11 volts.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

A bad battery can do some freaky shit. Just spend the $17 bucks, already. Get sonreirs battery, we already know you NEED one.

If you want to spend 3X more and get a slightly larger (physically/8 Amp hours) battery this one is mine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ZTBHLG/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mine IS bigger and has more power than Sonreirs! ::)

I ordered the battery today, I got the small less powerful one, it isn't the size but how you use it right? :) I was just wondering if that would affect the voltage measured from the Rectifier since I know my stator is putting out like it should. It just seems to bottle neck at the rectifier.

Im sure its fine. Especially, since you had the same results w others. You could try unplugging the headlight. They can be killers.

Insanity is, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.

You HAVE to start w a known good battery. My last read 12.8 volts. It was bad. FREAKY! Haven't had any issues since I put the new (same make/model) in.

Agreed but I at least now know that my Stator is not the problem. With all the other things that I have had to fix on the bike one more thing would have resulted in a black and yellow boat anchor. Especially considering I traded a fully Baja Prepped and Street Legal XR650R with no problems what so ever and twice the horsepower to get what was supposed to be a "completely redone bike". Oh well, live and learn. This is half the fun right, working on them bikes.

Not even gonna ask why you would make that trade.
In one of my first posts I suggested "Kicking that guy in the balls" or maybe I was "thinking" about posting it.
If you WANT to work on a bike...you certainly made the best choice, picking the cb360.
I have re-worked mine about 45 times over the last 4 years. I like working on it more than riding it.

The biggest surprise happened about a month and a half, out from Barber festival. (tickets bought, non-refundable hotel room, more money invested in the trip than I spent on the bike itself)...riding home from work...blew the spark plug...threads and all. Out of the head. It hit me in the knee. Ended up a complete engine rebuild. I had never done anything like that before. Thank god It ran great for the whole weekend. Even took her on the 6 lane interstate, for about 6 miles one morning, riding from Kileys to the park.

My only consolation is...My bike was drug out of an old grain bin...NOT advertised as "completely rebuilt"

Mike bike is sitting in the garage right now, IN PEICES, getting her ready for Rust Revivals, Spring Thaw. Ill go out and take a pic...brb

Ready for a long sad story.

My wife and I used to live in Kona Hawaii where I owned a 2005 CRF250R and a 883 Sportster. Well I sold the sporty to buy a car for the wife (her's was not doing so well) and sold the 250R to by a 1978 RD400 with Spec 2 pipes, 34mm Mikunis, and rear sets but with a chipped piston from the previous owner being dumb and running huge (like 420) main jets, fouling a plug that then suddenly fired and explode, lucky no damage done to the cylinder. Anyways I rebuild the top end and was working on sorting the jetting when we got our taxes. Turns out we has filed wrong or something and the state of Hawaii was in such a financial slump that they drilled us for 6,000 dollars. So I had to sell the RD but I always wanted a cafe racer again.

Fastforward a year and we are living in Monterey, CA with a newborn when I see a 1996 XR600R dual sport with a seized piston for 500 bucks. My father in law (who owns a very large aftermarket dirt bike fuel tank company) picks up the bike and has it completely redone from top to bottom and send it to me in Monterey. So I bomb around on that for a year and get the hankering for more power and long dual sport rides. So I sell the 600R and find a 650R for sale for a good price. I deliver it to my father in law who with his massive connections rebuilds it from the bottom up. 680 big bore, HRC cam, full open exhaust and intake, Precision Concepts suspension set up custom for me, IMS dry break ready desert tank, new plastics, triple clamps, Scott Steering damper, Rethanl Bars, IMS Pro Series foot pegs, everything. But it had a Arizona title to make it street legal and was technically registered in my Cousin in laws name.

Fast forward two years and I am in the Inland Empire of California surrounded by awesome trails but kind of over the whole dual sport thing. I get the Cafe bug again and try to sell the XR but nobody in California will touch it with a AZ title since they won't be able to transfer it to California without making it off road only since it needs to be out of the system for 3 years. This guy in AZ contacts me says he is will to trade the CB360 and some cash for my bike. So I drive out 2 hours in one direction to meet him and make the trade. Sitting on the trailer and the short ride around the parking lot I take the bike on make the bike look like a good deal. I know it wasn't an equal trade at the time but I was ok with it thinking I would have a nice cafe to ride.

On the way home it blows the seal in the left fork, the floats are so badly adjusted that gas is pouring out of the carbs after 5 minutes of running, gas is in the oil, the shocks blow their seals, and the ever present super annoying 3 drip oil leak. :) And now the battery/electrical issue. Anyways I don't mind working on the bike and I got a nice Mountain bike to ride and a huge number of trails to take it on.

Fast forward a few months and the principle of the school I work for calls a teacher/staff meeting letting us know that due to financial reasons the private school I work for will be closing at the end of the school year and we will be without jobs. So I am now trying to get the bike fixed and running so I can either sell it, or have a better more fuel efficient mode of transportation then my little ford ranger, that is a little easier on the legs then a bicycle all the time. (The town I live in is on the side of the San Bernardino Mountains so everything is up or down, no flat spots). Anyways, I know everyone has got their sad stories, and mine isn't all that bad but figure it makes a good read :)

working over and cleaning carbs.

CIMG4076_zpscb392cd9.jpg

CIMG4098_zpsb9674583.jpg

Swapping out to the updated oil pickup.

CIMG4091_zps50b315d1.jpg

This morning I was delighted to discover The pipe cracked all the way around the hanger stud on my muffler! that needs fixed.

CIMG4105_zpsc1ddb9db.jpg

I currently have that o-ring in the freezer to see if it will shrink back to size. So I can continue w re-assembly. Otherwise I have to find a new one.

CIMG4095_zpsbdc623bc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom