So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...(50+ Build Links!)

Here's my build in progress. Note the beginning where I get chewed out for being a noob. lol. I've learned SO MUCH since starting this build.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=57374.0

Out of curiosity, has anyone found an all-in-one solution for a cafe seat similar to this one:
http://www.motorcycleseatsdirect.com/1979-1980-1982-honda-cm400-cm400t-cm400a-cm450-cafe-racer-motorcycle-seat/

They said theyll include the pan/foam/cover for about $300 -- Its the only one ive found that looks halfway decent and cafe-ish.

Spring project before and after. ;)

Attachments

• MyCollage_1.png
    MyCollage_1.png
    642.6 KB · Views: 1,926
I had my seat made locally. I gave 8) him pics of the one I wanted and used the original seat pan. It was close to half of the price of the Chinese seats.

imovertheinternet said:
Hmmmm I thought it would cost more than that, at that price ill probably swing by an upholstery shop and get a quote. Thanks.

I went through a local guy that does side jobs. Check Craig's list. Contact some one personally. Tell them that you want to keep the money in their red white and blue pockets vs getting it over seas. I'm sure you can get somthing for around 200 flat rate. Good luck :)

Hi Everyone,

I just completed (or nearly so) my cafe racer/rat bike CB400t. I got a ton (up?) of inspiration from you guys, so thought I would share some pictures of what I managed to accomplish. The bike is hands down the most reliable "old" bike I've ever owned. The first is the before pic. The other three are as it appears today. Tank is off a 1975 CB350 I believe. Seat is a custom one-off by a genius here in Tucson named Carlos Moreno. And I have to tell you, it's like catnip where women are concerned, just saying.

Cheers,

Nick

Attachments

• motorcycle and other 005.JPG
    motorcycle and other 005.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 477
  • motorcycle and other 003.JPG
    motorcycle and other 003.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 467
  • motorcycle and other 002.JPG
    motorcycle and other 002.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 482
  • IMG_2289.JPG
    IMG_2289.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 487
Sooo... has anyone in this thread successfully replaced the vented cap ("fuel filler cap" on the parts fiche) on a 1980 CM400A/T with some aftermarket gizmo?
Is it possible to take the original apart to clean it out?

I don't think mine's venting correctly...because of the kind of cold starting problems I'm having. It also leaks AFTER a ride.
Neither the cap nor the gasket are available any more for any sort of money from Honda, and all the shops tell me there's no aftermarket equivalent.
So I'm kind of in a bind.

Go see a local fitter and turner they should have some gasket rubber you can cut to shape they buy it in a roll

Hello,
First post.
I bought my CM400E about 2 years ago and had been in storage. I wanted to make it into a cafe bike like the rest of you.
But upon further reflection I decided to have a work shop make it into a military bike.
Sorry if this bike build does not belong here, and I don't have all the pics as I am not doing the build.
Thanks,
Simba

before:

now:

I've been shopping for a long time and finally this past week found the bike that was in the kind of shape I hoped, and wasn't carrying the inflated price tag that many of these cafe potentials have. It's a 1978 CB400TII.

Ended up paying a widow $500 CAD for her deceased husbands bike. I thought I was getting a good deal but then she handed me the hand written notes of all service, checks, and little things he had done to the bike. These notes go back to 1981 when he bought the bike.

Anyway, started by taking the screen and luggage rack off, and now I sit staring at the bike trying to officially decide what to do before I start buying all the parts needed!

Huge thanks do DTT and more specifically this thread for all the inspiration and pointers I'm picking up.

Attachments

• 2015-02-26 19.51.52.jpg
    2015-02-26 19.51.52.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 1,951
Hi guys!! I'm finally able to introduce myself properly :) I'm from Poland and that's my first bike and first build - no better way to learn all the basics. Hope you like it!!

Attachments

• 20150616_203914-3 (2).jpg
    20150616_203914-3 (2).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 533
So I bought this 81 cm400c rolling chassis with motor - a bucket of parts a 2-1 exhaust header and that's it for cheap. I've rebuilt a few of these 400s, so I was able to put together the nonexistant electrical, threw on a set of carbs, and some fluids and she fired right up. Coincidentally I had a spare tank and assortment of fenders, controls etc hanging around. So I started to build with on idea in mind and 2 months later this is where she is now. Looking for a good home.

Back
Top Bottom