Suzuki gt750 ________ tracker

Beeweldmut

Been Around the Block
I'm not 100% sure on the direction I'm going with this build. But I took down my finished chopper and 2 minutes later rolled this beast onto the build stand so I should start a build thread right?

Honestly I think that you assholes are wrong about what this bike wants to be. I can argue with y'all for a long time, but I can't argue with the bike. It doesn't want to be a board tracker. Right now I'm thinking about doing a featherbed frame with a few nods to a norton. Then make it look like a modern street tracker with mag wheels. That is subject to change.

First I think I will tear into the motor and do a complete rebuild on it. My main goal is to think things through better on this project.
esy2ysyn.jpg
ena8e9an.jpg

yes! building a gt750 into a street tracker is on my short list of next projects.

Kenny Roberts tz750 flat tracker is a classic, and while the gt750 has one less cylinder, it has similar lines. Something like this

Roberts_TZ750.jpg

I'm curious how you could possibly handle that much weight on a flat track?
For the street sure, but on a track I feel like it would be a real handful and really difficult to control

SONIC. said:
I'm curious how you could possibly handle that much weight on a flat track?
For the street sure, but on a track I feel like it would be a real handful and really difficult to control

I have only ridden flat track a hand full of times, but most of what i remember feeling was the throttle is wide open or off. All the weight is on the front wheel and you just want the back end loose. So I can kind of see where a 2 stroke has an advantage, but I'm with you, it's much better as a street tracker

Maybe teazer will post a picture of his tracker to show you a gt750 done right

Bumping this up to see where you're at. Just picked up a GT750 and need some inspiration!

Oh still in planning stages and working out electrical stuff from my last build. I bought a set of inverted forks, but they are probably too short for this build.

Getting stuff in order to get started on this project finally. My temporary shop is powered by a generator so I need to get power before I get serious about fabricating again.

The more I look at the current frame, I can't seem to get that nice straight level upper frame rail out of my mind. I'm still doing some drawings, but I'm having difficulty seeing any kind of tracker geometry that doesn't compromise that line. It's still possible, but I don't see it yet.

Right now I really see a featherbed frame hidden in this tubby girl. I'm starting to lean towards building the norton manx cafe racer that Suzuki meant to build when they started designing this kettle.

But I might change my mind again.

I spent the week in jury duty and had some time to draw out a few ideas. Questionable artist skills at work.

I think I am gonna go with a cafe bike instead of the tracker. I can't figure out a small tank on this big frame and I don't want to build a new frame.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414722461.734077.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414722461.734077.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 5,303
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414722474.531301.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414722474.531301.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 303
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414722483.131938.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414722483.131938.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 312
76007dc13a0af63518eaadfeb5f9a300.jpg

2e87c0a0a902517c4c68fbb64e024cad.jpg

Not looking pretty inside this motor. Luckily I was planning on completely rebuilding it anyway. Hopefully the cylinder is salvageable

That's kinda ugly in there. You can bore out as far as 2.0mm O/s and get pistons from Wiseco or Wossner.

Mine is pretty simple and weighs a whole lot less than stock.

2013-07-14091441_zps981ec3b7.jpg

but there are lots of ways to make a GT750 look. Here's 4 ideas to contemplate:

DSCN1839_zps6dec61a5.jpg

All 4 in that picture are GT750s. The Phat Trakka is being lowered to try to improve drag strip times. It will go back to being tall and elegant again soon.

Those Are all great looking. I hope that I can get this bike to the point of esthetics. I'm a little concerned that the motor isn't salvageable. I'm going to split the cases and See what it's like, but it had a broke piston skirt and I think the spark plug might have been out after that and caused all that rust. It's real nasty in the cylinder and the crank has quite a bit of rust too. We shall see.

Cranks can be rebuilt and barrels get bored. If you spent that much time sitting around, you'd get bored too.

Pistons are available dead cheap from Cruzin Image on ebay or go with Wiseco or Wossner for that top end feels. I had to buy a single WISECO recently and it came in a small cloth bag inside the box like a miniature Crown Royal...

They come in up to 2.0mm O/S so you should be OK there. If not, barrels are available on fleabay from time to time. or put the word out and maybe someone will send you one cheaply.

If your crank needs one pin or rod, I may have one soon. I have two cranks at Bill Bune now - one to be rebuilt (again) and the other to be stripped to act as a donor for end shafts and maybe some other bits. Last free crank I got had about 2 useful parts inside when it was stripped.

Cranks can be done by yourself if you have a 20 ton press and simple jigs, or send it to Falicon ($$$$), Paul Miller or Bill Bune in MN. Crank seals are available and if one or more crank pins are rusty, get a spare crank and split it for parts. Try to avoid using a "good" used crank unless you rebuild it. I have two "rebuilt" GT750 cranks here on the bench and neither came close to holding 6psi on a leakdown test. Rusty and worn shafts and the wrong seals and it makes you wonder what people are smoking now.

They are simple motors - but as heavy as all get out. Lots of metal to be judiciously removed. Think of it as whittling away the cold winter nights.

Thanks for the tips Teazer. After thanksgiving I will pull the motor all the way apart and see if anything is good. The crank has heavy rust spots too so I'm not sure what I'll be saving. I might be on the hunt for a bunch of parts or might scrap the project. Not sure yet, but I'm not on a deadline so it would be part of the fun to completely rebuild the whole motor.

And don't forget to count all the gears on both gear shafts to see what transmission is in there. There were 3 different sets of gears - JKL, MA nd A/B.

My A has an L transmission. I took a B trans out of a set of L cases and just removed an MA set from a B motor. Any of them are fine on a street motor, but later are slightly better ratios and a GS750 is better again, but with a taller first gear. Oil pumps are all teh same from 73 on - different arms and two different tops and rotors, but the same bodies and plungers and capacity. Only odd ball was the 72 with three plungers and it sucked oil tanks and collapsed them if the breather was blocked.

Back
Top Bottom