Teledan's XT500 project

Thanks! I really want to get it done by spring but I am pretty limited on funds and time so I may not make it by then.

hey do you want to sell the stock muffler ? and good lord don't put kz forks on it that would be a huge downgrade besides the triple clamps you have are not suitable for straight leg forks you will end up with terrible handling, too much trail
that is also a huge downgrade putting that boat anchor heavy mag rear wheel and disc assembly on there
you keep at it you are going to ruin a great thumper :-\

Stock pipe is long gone. That thing weighed more than the mag rear wheel :) Forks are xs650 legs in sr500 trees. As for the rear wheel, I wanted a brake that actually worked and I wanted to keep the cush drive. That really narrowed down the options for me if I wanted to stay with a wire wheel. Besides, I already had the mag front and I was able to trade my old rear wheel straight up for the sr wheel. I may at some point switch to wire wheels but until I hit the lottery I will just run these.

just sayin those mag wheels,and extremely overly heavy discs are gonna totally ruin the handling
thats what made the rd400 such a turd,boat anchor mag wheels.the bike as you had it stock would have run circles around what you are building there bro

I guess we will find out! If worse comes to worse I will swap out the mags for a set of wire wheels. I would love a set of 17s with a DR650 or KLR650 hub in the rear to keep the cush.

you're both right, but coming from different angles. mag wheels fit a budget most times and it seems like teledan is trying to keep to one. I'm trying to build a nice set of spoked wheels, and I can tell you it adds up fast haha. I'm not even going crazy with supermoto rims and whatnot.

xb33bsa said:
hey do you want to sell the stock muffler ? and good lord don't put kz forks on it that would be a huge downgrade besides the triple clamps you have are not suitable for straight leg forks you will end up with terrible handling, too much trail
that is also a huge downgrade putting that boat anchor heavy mag rear wheel and disc assembly on there
you keep at it you are going to ruin a great thumper :-\

The KZ650 forks and wheel with an aluminum rim laced up worked great on the XT500 I roadraced. The handling was just about perfect, but what do I know? In theory you might be right, but in actual race track practice it was great. So, the straight XS650 forks will work out nicely, too.

On the other hand you are exactly right about those stock Yamaha mag wheels. They weigh at least a ton and they are narrow on top of it all. Either fit some 3 spoke Yamaha mags like from an FZR600 or lace up some aluminum 17 or 18" rims on some spoked hubs.

I think some 17" wheels (and possibly a different frontend) will be phase II down the road a ways. Got some garage time so I threw some new seals in the forks and got the front brake line installed

I still need to strip the wheel and paint it, bleed the brakes (yay), and clean up the caliper bracket. The brake line is from Apex Brakes, I was very pleased with their customer service and the line looks good. I will be ordering the seat shortly, I am going with the DTS6 from Airtech. Hopefully it will work ok.

Got a bit of work done recently.

Made a tach plug for the rockerbox:

Started on the wiring, still got a ways to go:

Painted my front wheel:

I got my seat! It is the DTS6 from Airtech. I will need to modify the frame hoop but I think it will look good. I am not so sure on the pipe though, I may end up doing something different.

Got the tires mounted so I put the wheels on. I set the tank and seat on to get an idea of what it will look like. The pipe sticks out way too far so I will try to do something about that. Still got lots to do but I am happy with the way it looks.

I made a tray for the electrical components to go under the seat on Saturday. I need to figure out how to mount it now and make sure everything can fit inside.

Close up of the welds. Not perfect but better than I thought it would turn out :)

Consider mounting the rectifier /regulator on the underside of the tray. It gives it much better cooling and keep the heat away from the rest of the electrical parts. I mounted it with grommets I cut in half to isolate it from some vibration.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 489
Got the tray tacked in place and made a bracket for the seat to be riveted onto:

Here is what it looks like from the side:

I took 45exmayor's advice and mounted the regulator underneath. I think that will be much better.

Got a bit of work done lately. Installed new Swingarm bearings. Re-worked the pipe a bit, I think it looks tons better. I also cut off the rear frame hoop and will re-work it so that it comes up under the seat. I also got the wiring pretty much all done. I just need to weld on a new tab to run all the grounds to and then wire up the rear turn signals. Now I need to work on the rear brake, finish some of the welds, and then do a bit of painting. Here is the latest pic.

Here is the electric tray from the top:

Also got the rear brake all set up, pretty much just need to get a new shorter hose now and bleed it.

I threw some paint on the seat, not great but will work for now. I also made a bracket for the license plate, taillight, and turn signals but that was after these pics were taken. I got my stator re-wound and am waiting for it to get here. Once that gets here I will try and start it up. I still need to paint a few things, install the rear brake hose, bleed the front brake, mount the exhaust, etc. Then I would like to strip it all down and paint/powdercoat the frame and other bits. I don't want to make it too nice though or else I will be afraid to ride it :)

Back
Top Bottom