1973 XL175 Vitamin C Hell Ride

Time for a 6v - 12v conversion. Fuck this 1950s shit.

9d9a9983a3208f3960e4fe38d4290f47.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm gonna play dumb here. Does that make the plugs fire hotter?

Ellwood said:
I'm gonna play dumb here. Does that's make the plugs fire hotter?

Everything electrical gets swapped out. Coils will change to 3ohms. Pretty sure the amps will stay the same at like 4 amps. That said, less resistance typically fires hotter. My kilns have elements rated at 11 ohms. They quit reaching max temp when they get to 18 ohms. I assume this biz is much the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

canyoncarver said:
For a dollar?
99 cents, actually. I love when people put obscure parts up for auction on eBay and start bidding at 99 cents.

deviant said:
99 cents, actually. I love when people put obscure parts up for auction on eBay and start bidding at 99 cents.

The only way it could be better is if it was free shipping... had a guy a few weeks ago message me to pay for shipping on a one bid win, I politely explained the "you win some and loose some" part of life and asked if i paid ten times as much as he hoped for... would he offer it for less :eek: No reply.

Subscribed! I just bought a pair of 1973 XL 125s yesterday for $1000. One is running the other is not (might need an exhaust valve or seal. Need to tear apart the top end to see) so I now have a winter project to do in my new 30x40 garage I just got!

Here is Day 1 pic of the pair I bought cheap. The bike with the rear rack is the one that runs. I do have a question about the turn signals. Currently, when initiating the turn signal while the bike is running, there is an constant audible tone that is emitting and the signals sometimes blink intermittently and other time, remain solid. Whether they blink or not, the tone still sounds and is annoying as hell.

Any ideas what may be causing this? Maybe need a new flasher relay? Lastly, what is the best way to get the turn signal switch and the headlight switch to operate smoothly? They seem to stick a bit and require a little too much force to move for my liking. I would hate to break one and have to look for a replacement

Thanks for the help and will definitely be a regular to this thread now! You guys have some awesome information and advice from the pages I've read so far. Love this bike so far and is a ton of fun! I look forward to absorbing all the knowledge I can as these are my first motorcycles ever (weird since I work for Harley :-\ don't tell them I bought some Honda's haha) and so obviously this will also be my first restore.

20151001_202735_zpsrx3rxodp.jpg

nice pair !!! :D
wd40 or its equivelnt on the switches use it liberally soak 'em down let em soak blow out with air repeat should do it.i would at least take the control off the bars
the xl may have a signal buzzer which i think at one time was govment man-dated or not but al;so they were availabhle in the aftermarket

Those two really are nice. They're not going to win any races, but no doubt they're a blast to ride.

One goes in, one comes out...

897d461abd5667e60542daccc4ff3bfa.jpg

Plus a couple of more parts, and we're now 12v. Fuck you, 1958. Fuck you...

dd5b95c47372ba2092d0f3fd530eb8ae.jpg

grcamna5 said:
Quality looking electrics,who makes'em ?
The reg/rec is Sparck Moto. The windings are stock Honda CB350. The coil is Nology Pro Fire. It's a coil normally for Triumph and Harley, but I'm going to try it here.

Tune-A-Fish said:
So what makes the windings 6 or 12v ? just the number of wraps, size of wire?
Electricity is a weakness, so a better expert may chime in: I think it's both. I think 6v wire is half the size larger than 12v.

What battery are you planning on using?

Where will it fit on the bike?

Back
Top Bottom