Un-remarkable BMW re-fresh. DONE.

JustinLonghorn said:
Mmmmm, Cuban. Nothing like a good celebratory Cigar when the mission is accomplished.

Jussy I snuffed it out and trimmed the end after that pic. I will save for you. I was light headed for 2 hours after that. My buddy Vince says its the best he's ever smoked.

Goddammit Eric... I just joined the BMW club... picked up this '77 R75/7 of CL tonight... see what kind of crap you started with this thread...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DUDE!!!!! HAHAHA that is so awesome. ;D

i got a running K75 Ill trade ya!

BTW the BMW is nice..BUT THAT TRAILER THOUGH! Im envious.

trek97 said:
DUDE!!!!! HAHAHA that is so awesome. ;D

i got a running K75 Ill trade ya!

BTW the BMW is nice..BUT THAT TRAILER THOUGH! Im envious.

Dude... that R75/7 runs!!! Had it up to 70 on the test ride. It's looking like Cafe candidate... I gotta get that fairing off and address a few quick issues and see where at... but I think it can be made reliable for not much $.

And Dave's trailer is awesome and it folds up to half that size... I'm jealous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3DogNate said:
It's looking like Cafe candidate... I gotta get that fairing off and address a few quick issues and see where at... but I think it can be made reliable for not much $.

May I suggest:

Replace the rear main,
Replace oil pump cover o-ring
Replace push rod tube rubbers
New head gaskets
Moly lube the transmission input splines
Check over the drive shaft boot while you're there. They're prone to getting brittle with hairline cracks and that'll make a mess

Check diode… http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/airheads/diode_brd_chk.shtml
if bad, replace with… http://www.thunderchild-design.com/diodead.html

Clutch screws, driveshaft flange screws, and flywheel screws are one use only so have fresh ones ready.

I know it will be awesome. When it comes time to unload it just call me first.

irk miller said:
May I suggest:

Replace the rear main,
Replace oil pump cover o-ring
Replace push rod tube rubbers
New head gaskets
Moly lube the transmission input splines
Check over the drive shaft boot while you're there. They're prone to getting brittle with hairline cracks and that'll make a mess

Check diode… http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/airheads/diode_brd_chk.shtml
if bad, replace with… http://www.thunderchild-design.com/diodead.html

Clutch screws, driveshaft flange screws, and flywheel screws are one use only so have fresh ones ready.

Yeah man, I've got a good community of Airheads around me, the guy that helped me pick it up hosts a regional Airhead "TechDay"... Between Dave/Garry/Ray/George/Aaron... I've got some very knowledgeable guys to feed off of... we're gonna give it the essentials in a couple of Saturdays and get it running and riding well. Previous owner at least already added a set of Hagon progressives on it and the rubber and brakes are pretty fresh. So... I'll do a quick de-ugly and scrub down... critical maintenance, replace/repair the immediately needed items and get it roadworthy. Then make a plan to make it pretty.

The bike charges well right now... so the Diode appears to work, Dave checked that first thing when we started it. I'll start a new thread in the Café section.

Hauled the brick and wife's scooter down to Kentucky last weekend.
I kept pretty conservative w a short ride, as I dont have enough experience w the machine to feel 100% comfortable.

However, I handed the keys to 3 of my more "BMW" experienced buddies. :eek:

The old gal had an afternoon of testing.
Came back to me w a full tank of fuel. Thanks Tim. 8)

Rave reviews from all three guys. 8)
I couldnt be more delighted and impressed w the machine.

IMG_1640%202_zpspn8tm3jx.jpg

My%20K75%20by%20Tim%20Burke_zpsmfpmge0m.jpg

Yeah, these are bikes that aren't recognized as fast or anything special by the general motorcycle community, but they are tremendously competent on any road, any speed (that you have any business using on public roads and then some), any weather. BMW used to be recognized as building a "gentleman's motorcycle" and this is an excellent example.

Until that weekend, I hadn't noticed that BMW managed the kidney grill on a motorcycle.

Back
Top Bottom