1968 CL175 repair and build

medicalmechanica

Been Around the Block
Hey folks,

I just bought my first motorcycle, a 1968 CB175. I guess it's a sloper according to the year and the title, maybe someone can confirm with the only picture I have right now.

I got it from a friend for a decent price, and it's in great shape including factory paint on the tank. I've got two issues right now that I'd love feedback on, and I'm reading about this thing every free moment I have so I'm not totally helpless.

Issie one is right now my right cylinder is not running. The carb on that side was overflowing gas through the tube so I figured the float pin was stuck and replaced it, but after starting it up and having a cold exhaust on that side, I've learned that something's up. I'll be trying to run it just on the right side tomorrow with the left side spark plug lead and checking the plugs to get an idea what's up there.

I also have a leak from the camshaft block on the left side, and I'm hoping that's just a gasket issue or maybe an issue with that cover.

Anyway, it doesn't need much restoring, but it needs a little love to get moving and I'd really like to have a running bike before winter hits us so any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and I'm really looking forward to this little project!

Attachments

• 20160921_154041.jpg
    20160921_154041.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 535
Re: 1968 CB175 repair and build

Yup. "Sloper". Note how the jugs angle forward instead of vertically. Great bike. TONS of info online as they are super popular machines in the vintage road race world. I actually have a 68 175 sloper motor and frame. May have to do something with it someday lol.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with and welcome to DTT.

How can you tell the difference? It's titled as a CB, so it'll end up registered as a CB and I'd prefer to correct that if I can.

CB...

Different tank, low pipes, etc...

Attachments

• ebay_251788628475_2.jpg
    ebay_251788628475_2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,164

Nice little bike. For the running issue, first make sure you have a strong spark on that side like you mentioned. I would then go through the full tune up procedure: cam chain tension, valve clearances, set timing and then carburetor sync. That should remedy your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

And a side note...

From the pic, that bike looks pretty damn clean. If it were me, I'd do a thorough cleaning. Replace what NEEDS replaced. Get it running at 100%. Touch nothing else. The early bikes are getting harder to dig up in original condition and doing a "restoration" can actually lessen the value.

VonYinzer said:
Check the VIN on the frame neck...

Agree, check the VIN against the numbers shown on this site: http://www.motorera.com/honda/index.htm#y175

Also, based on the little bit of poking around I did, the CB175 wasn't built until 1969, but the CL started in 1968.

HerrDeacon said:
Agree, check the VIN against the numbers shown on this site: http://www.motorera.com/honda/index.htm#y175

Also, based on the little bit of poking around I did, the CB175 wasn't built until 1969, but the CL started in 1968.
this helps a ton, thanks!

I don't plan to do the whole full restore thing with new paint and powder coated frames and blabla, I plan to just clean it up a bit and maybe rechrome the fenders and clean up the used-to-be-shiny bits. Honestly i wanted a 360 to do a full cafe thing with but this one was cheap and in fantastic shape, and I should br able to fix it up and double my money, plus I've ridden a motorcycle four times in my whole life including yesterday so not dying seems like a good idea.

I'm gonna hit the gym and head home to switch spark plug leads, and then tear into the carbs anyway so I'll update soon hopefully heh.

Leave the chrome as is. Honestly man. The market for "survivor" bikes keeps growing. That American Pickers and whatever other show has everyone thinking anything untouched and older than 1970 is worth a pile of money.

That's a great point I guess, and a big part of the appeal for me was that it's so clean for the age it is. I just can't stand bubbles in chrome, but as they say with these bikes you don't need to fo looking for extra stuff to do so it'll probably stay the way it is for a while.

At the end if the day it's your bike. Do with it as you please. That said, you mentioned resale value. Best bang for your buck is an all original survivor that runs like a top with new cables, tires, etc...

Either way getting it running happily is the main priority heh, but i appreciate the input and it makes total sense.

So I took apart the carb on the right and cleaned it up a bit, installed some of the stuff that fit, and now I'm putting it all back together. Forgive me because I don't know what some of this stuff is called, but the cylindrical part that moves up and down in the carb and is attached to the throttle cable does not move freely in the tube it goes into. Dunno what to do about that, so I'm kinda stumped.

Edit: I have learned that this thing is called a slide. The slide isn't moving freely up and down in the carb, it feels too tight. I compared to the left carb, and if I lift that slide with my finger it drops right back into place, but the slide on the right just sticks. I'm thinking that this may have contributed to my right cylinder not firing.

About the model designation, it may actually be a CB. They're were some CB's that were dressed out as CL's by dealers as an option. I don't know if that was offered by Honda due to a parts surplus or not. The vin should start with a B if it is truly a CB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

clem said:
About the model designation, it may actually be a CB. They're were some CB's that were dressed out as CL's by dealers as an option. I don't know if that was offered by Honda due to a parts surplus or not. The vin should start with a B if it is truly a CB.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using DO THE TON mobile app

It's a CL after all, I checked it out on the VIN decoder page that was posted.

I just found out that if the intake manifold is too tight the tube will warp a bit, so I loosened it up and my slide is moving freely again.

Now I just have to wait for the battery to charge up so I can test sparks.

Well I switched the spark plugs, and tue bike fired up and the right side exhaust is warm. Either it's running too lean and cool, or I just didn't let it idle long enough is a problem for another day I guess. I'm going to buy new plugs and wires just to be safe.

Now to tackle the oil leak I have. I've attached a picture of the problem area, does anyone have any idea what I should do first? Couple other pics just because haha.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160924-133922.jpg
    Screenshot_20160924-133922.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 491
  • 20160924_133756.jpg
    20160924_133756.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 485
  • 20160924_133742.jpg
    20160924_133742.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 524
  • 20160924_133731.jpg
    20160924_133731.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 496

if you have oil leaking near the points cover your cam seal is bad

not to big a deal

remove the points plate then then advancer and you can then see the seal

Is that seal around the points cover the only thing that could be causing the leak? And is it something I can hit with some RTV for now?

Back
Top Bottom