GS450 "Sport" - Done!

Re: GS450 "Sport" - We've got a runner!

Oh, I want to alright. But I'm still struggling to manage the mass chaos in my garage right now. Once the snow flies, there has to be room to park both vehicles too........

Rich,i am sending you a PM about the enduro GR.

That bike is only an hour and a half away from me. If I had 500 bones I would grab it and fix it, ride it and then sell it. But I know you were looking for a titled bike for the Dirty GR a while back.

Over the past couple days I've been doing some painting. First the gauge cluster:
photobucket-40128-1347234744253.jpg

I didn't take a pic, but I wired in some 194 bulb sockets in the gauge cluster. The originals are some type of push / twist bulbs, so I replaced them with LED 194's. I know it's a poor shot, but here's the swinger, chain guard, and 2 of the little trays:

photobucket-24277-1347411613157.jpg

Here's the battery tray, passenger peg mounts, and the front footpeg mounts:

photobucket-25928-1347411613663.jpg

Been a bit slack getting on lately, but glad to jump on tonight and see you got your title sorted :)

Painted bits are looking good!

All good Pete! The thread will be a little slow for the next couple weeks as I get ready for Barbers. But after I return, the weather will be a little less riding friendly, and progress will really commence!

In the short term, the motor will be coming out and the front end coming off. After some minor welding on the frame, it will get stripped and painted.

I hope there's lots of Barber pic's Rich! Looking forward to them and the return to this :)

Re: GS450 "Sport" - Stripped down

Oh, there will be a LOT of pics Pete. I'm actually taking 3 cameras down with me, and I normally barely use my cell phone camera.........I'll be sure to give you the link to my Photobucket account. It'll make you want to visit the museum if nothing else.

Small update: I got every nut and bolt out of the frame (minus the triple tree) in preparation for it's trip to Barbers. The kickstand and rear grab rail got stripped to bare steel and painted, while the center stand and rear grab rail frame thingy will need sand blasted first.

I also pulled the motor from the frame and started cleaning it, but will need some sort of large tray to rest it in. Right now I'm undecided on painting the motor - but I'm definitely not polishing the entire thing like I did my GR motor.

Good stuff Rich, can't wait! And yeah a trip to the Barber museum definitely would be an eye opener!

Rattle can (Metalcast with Spraymax 2k Clear on top) - but I might have a friend do the tins. He has access to a nice booth.

Sorry I missed this, but I have a titled and disasembled GS450 just chillin in the corner of my garage in great condition, you're welcome to any of the parts if you need them. Just dont have the gauges, wheels and carbs. Everything else should be there..

Thanks John! To the best of my knowledge, I think I have any "missing" parts. Just need to buy all the wear items: cables, bearings, tires, etc, etc.

I do appreciate the offer though! Do you need wheels and such for your GS? I may have some parts you need.

No, don't need anything. I picked her up for $20 already taken apart. I doubt I'll ever make anything of it as I have too many bikes ahead in the line. Just wanted to offer some free parts. If anyone else is working on a GS450 and needs parts, let me know, just pay shipping.

I too will add to the "I have plenty of GS 450 parts that I need out from under the car port". Black L tank, petcock, Fuel modual, gauges-(in pieces) Seats, side covers, mirrors, bars, chrome chain guard, rear grab rail and many other items. If you need something yell. I gotta clear this area out and I hate to "DUMP" parts that someone else could use.

Gary

That's pretty cool of ya Gary. You guys make me want to buy another 450 just to build it up............

What's the condition of the petcock? I "might" need one, but have already budgeted for a new one.

Since I got the motor pulled out of the frame, I started cleaning the cases for paint. Nothing that we haven't really seen before, but I did snap a pic of this:

photobucket-43807-1348967886092.jpg

The cylinder walls still have a real nice hatch pattern still on them, and the crowns cleaned up well after 5 minutes with a nylon brush and some kerosene.

Back
Top Bottom