1976 Honda GL1000

Went to order a kit from Randakks but they are closed for vacation until the 13th. Bummer. Anyone have any experience with these?

http://www.gl1000carbkits.com/

Finally got the primary and secondary nozzles out and they look rough.

One secondary nozzle

Another.

One of the primary nozzles. They all look similar to this with varying amounts of question mark shape.

I'm gonna go ahead and say these need to be replaced. Anyone know where I can source new ones? Through Honda maybe?

John, I don't mean to tell you your business, but it looks like you're taking pictures through a funhouse mirror.

How does that even happen?

I WISH it was a camera effect. The nozzles actually look like that. I have no idea how someone achieved this.

So, I'm waiting for the Randakk kit. Some of the O-rings were falling apart in my hand so no doubt I need that. Gonna try to figure out where to get some replacement carb components. In the mean time there's plenty of other stuff I can work on. Not being able to order the carb kit means I have some cash to go buy things like timing belts.
Also I can look into the electrical system. Looks like someone did some fun stuff when they wired in the fairing and luggage lighting.

Tomorrow is another day.

Call and ask randakk about the carb parts you need too. i am sure he can help you out

Nice score John, welcome to the N'ked Wing club. I love mine, if you keep the points, read Randakk's split timing method and you will have her purring. I need to re-do mine after 7000 miles so they stay set for a while. For touring 2-up I use a small 14" screen and that cuts enough wind to do 80-90 mph on the freeways, it is great too because I can remove it in 2 mins to be naked again. I also use soft bags and can take them off, along with a backrest I modded. I can go from full bagger touring mode to completely naked bike in less than 5 mins. These girls also handle pretty good for their size and can lean over pretty far.

Cheers

Maritime

Maritime said:
These girls also handle pretty good for their size and can lean over pretty far.

Surprisingly so, I thought. I have been taking mine progressively faster through the tight roundabouts on my way to and from work and I need to cut it out ::)

Unless you are super lucky and there are Lester wheels on it

You guys are making me want a Goldwing....but I want to chop it up into something....Good get John!

Sonreir said:
You sure it's a '76? First gen Goldies should come with spokes, I thought?

Nah, they only had spokes the first two years I believe, then they swapped to Comstars.

Kanticoy said:
Nah, they only had spokes the first two years I believe, then they swapped to Comstars.
A '76 is within the first two years... so it originally had spokes.
Rich Ard is on it, this bike had aftermarket Lesters installed at some point

1976-Lester-Wheels-brown.jpg

This is why my wheels are stupid and John's wheels are rad. Sigh.

I like your crash bars Rich, I might need to find a set like that. I called a local bike shop that I remembered had some old Honda parts laying around. They said they might have a set of GL1000 carbs laying around so I'll give them another call in the morning. If they do have a set then I'll take a look and see if they have decent nozzles in them.

The bike came with some of those big, goofy looking floorboards on it with a heel to shifter. Needless to say those had to come off so I'll also have to procure a set of foot pegs and a shifter.

General lack of success locating parts today. Local shop did not have any 76 carbs. They did put me in touch with a shop in New Hampshire that has a rebuilt and ready to bolt on set. For $350. Tempting because after a Rankakk kit and whatever I'll spend on 'new' nozzles I'll have almost that much in rebuilding myself.

Got the timing belts ordered, they should be here early next week.

So here's the thing - the shop I putz around at charges about $40 per carb to clean 'em, and I hear that's a pretty low price.

So at their rate, that's $160 already. The rebuild parts are going to cost you that again from Randakk, plus the broken parts you've found. Might want to look at the rack that it came with as parts carbs. :)

I was thinking the same thing Rich when I saw the condition of the emulsion tubes and jets.
Since you already know about Randakks, , spend some time in his Tech section. Theres more info than you can imagine. Like the top Noob carb O/H mistakes to avoid. http://www.randakksblog.com/top-honda-gl1000-carb-rebuilding-mistakes/#more-1060

Here it tells the importance of staying with the same carbs your bike came with originally. http://www.randakksblog.com/early-vs-late-carb-mixing-and-matching-gl1100-carbs-on-gl1000-gl1000-carb-specs-2/
The eary 'wings went through some considerable changes as they developed and if you want to maximize their potential, try to stick with the same set of carbs she was born with.

Early-GL1000.jpg

Late-GL1000.jpg

Thanks HD, I read some of that stuff and I've been looking hard for a matching set of carbs. Scary thing is, if I order a set from ebay or something they might have the same (or more) issues than the one I have.

Think I'm gonna call up that company and see what they say.

Back
Top Bottom